Autopsy Shameful game V Dees - tell it like it is right here.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So what was it?

A Tank or Poor Coaching?

Goldy on the wing. Higgins not on the ball. Playing 3 Tall Forwards that can take contested marks but not kicking long. Trying to play a keepings off style of football with a poorly skilled side.

So was it a Tank or Poor Coaching? Considering that the one game we needed to win this season was against Melbourne. :stern look
I had been assuming we have been tanking for a while given selection and match day roles.

However given 'tanking' would have meant we needed to beat Melbourne and flog them by as much as we could then the only conclusion is that we haven't been tanking (or did someone forget to tell Shawry we have Melbourne's first pick?)

Why weren't players rested against Geelong for this game - Goldie, Taz, Jye - that would have shown we were in tank mode.

Goldie is only on the wing for the tap out because Maj is also effective in that area - then Maj pushes forward and Goldie rucks so that is fine.

Higgo in defence - we need better usage back there so that is also fine.

I think we can assume some experimenting/learning is going on (eg leaving McKay on Weideman) but the bottom line is that we are just no good - a combination of coaching tactics, training, personnel available.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
My worry is that we will see a exodus of young players that will want out. Playing like rubbish and SEEMING rudderless could have the kids looking over the fence.
If a young player thinks he's above a bit of hard graft, he can * off. They're the types that will go missing when it matters.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My slight worry from the Presser was Shaw saying we did things right in the first quarter then we went away from it. Without knowing the intimate game plan, to me it wasn't that we went away rather Melbourne adjusted. They realised the style, altered their game plan and we did not adjust after that. And it again comes down to not having the players to execute the plan. We are not precise so was always going to come undone. We don't have speed so we can't get into space or create separation. It was a nice idea, and it works against really bad teams, but it is pretty easy to counter once it becomes apparent.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Crap performances like last night just highlight the need for change.

It's not that limited KG, what if it's just a s**t game plan strategy?

Can "change" be a bad thing also?

Get upset but support rather than sack everyone.

Agree, talk like that at this stage is ridiculous.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pretend l'm your mum and you are 7 years old Snake; " l know it tastes bad, but the dr. says you have to take it if you want to get better. You want to take it when your father gets home ? No ? That's a boy, head back. Good boy. Now that wasn't so hard was it " ?

I have no issues with that, I am more concerned with onfield strategy and realistic outcomes in a foreseeable amount of time.

If people are claiming that the 2016 rebuild needs to extend out to 2024 for results just to suit Rhyce Shaw's game plan, then IMO, that is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Woke up this morning after a surprisingly good sleep. Nothings changed. We are still an embarrassingly bad team.

So basically, your view of the world has been validated, and it's a great morning for you?

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What really really worries me is I have never seen so many posts on the NMFC FB page from posters that have just lost hope in the club.

It really is a sad read. It makes me think how many members is the club going to lose after this disaster of a season.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My slight worry from the Presser was Shaw saying we did things right in the first quarter then we went away from it.

I was more concerned with his lack of conviction and apparent doubt.

Great coaches don't utilise uncertain mindset's.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What really really worries me is I have never seen so many posts on the NMFC FB page from posters that have just lost hope in the club.

It really is a sad read. It makes me think how many members is the club going to lose after this disaster of a season.

Where have you been for the last decade? We have world class pessimists and whingers posting on this board daily.

r_boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 12, 2007
Northern Territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Got to hold your nerve this year as it is a shocker but it's the best thing for the club in the long term.

All of our weaknesses are on display and Shaw isn't hiding away from it by continuing to play players, especially the youngsters, in positions that are in the coal face. Our backline contained McKay, Durdin and Bonar while our forward line was mostly kids.

We need to find out who has it as we already know with the older players. Sad to see Bonar go down as he was in our top 3 performers up until then. Great to see Larkey bag 4 with our midfield and LDU was impressive in his 3rd game back.

Goldy played less than 50% in the ruck, Higgins across half back and Shaw opted to try McKay and Durdin on their KPD's initially. Our spine most of the game contained McKay, Durdin, Dumont and Larkey so there definitely is some tough love happening at the moment from Shaw by giving more responsibility to the younger guys while playing senior players out of their normal positions like JMac, Higgins and Goldy.

We have a long injury list, trying to change to a new game plan which while looks haphazard and dysfunctional at the moment and years of topping up has brought us to this point. Yes we could paper over the cracks again and pretend we are a chance for a flag but judging Shaw on this year is complete nonsense. He and Brady have not even had a draft to demonstrate their imprimatur on this list yet we're calling for Shaw's head already.

What we are seeing is a team undergoing a transformation in an environment where the whole season has been compromised with Covid, Hubs, no VFL, reduced coaching team and long injury list. Yeah it's ugly at the moment but to get access to the high end talent then you need to be crap and for the first time in a long time, the club recognises this and are actively doing something about it. The least we can do is support the club this year during this shitshow of a season and default to 2021 to pass judgement on our progress under this regime.

#bigpicture.

Go Roos

Agreed mate.

Commit to the transformation. I'm sick of being mediocre.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1971 (Grieg/Schimmelbusch/Montgomery, etc), 1980 (Furey/Kelly/Jonas, etc.), 1988 (Ceocker/Scholl/Stevens/Schwass, etc.), 2008 (Ziebell/Wright/Hansen/Goldstein, etc.), 2016.

It's the continuation of 2016, and from that perspective it's shaping as the most enduring one yet.
I think this will be the biggest one yet. Coaching staff for one, players next.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah. Still think he's a good pickup. Good value, cheap and having a solid season with a good 3-4 minimum left in him. Based on yesterday and the weight of evidence Durdin won't be there longterm. Walker will be solid cover while we transition out Tarrant and Daw over the next few years. McKay looks solid enough to be at the least a journeyman backman at the moment. Actually think he'll be good in that CHB floating role if he can continue to improve at this rate.

Suspect that we'll just throw all the kids in for 6 games now so Durdin will get more of an opportunity. There's only a few years between Durdin and Walker so if Durdin is sent to the scrap heap then having Walker is good.

Was only a few weeks ago though where many of us saw BMac as not up to it also so the next 6 weeks will be interesting for Durdin.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think this will be the biggest one yet. Coaching staff for one, players next.

It will be the worst exhibition of club administration in more that 50 years if that is the case.

The 2016 rebuild needs to start bearing fruit next year*.

*all things being fair & equal

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Suspect that we'll just throw all the kids in for 6 games now so Durdin will get more of an opportunity. There's only a few years between Durdin and Walker so if Durdin is sent to the scrap heap then having Walker is good.

Was only a few weeks ago though where many of us saw BMac as not up to it also so the next 6 weeks will be interesting for Durdin.

Yep, give Durdin a month to secure a spot for 2021. He’s 24, so we’re not throwing in a kid.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It will be the worst exhibition of club administration in more that 50 years if that is the case.

The 2016 rebuild needs to start bearing fruit next year*.

*all things being fair & equal
I mean we have already changed our coaching staff completely

Delsitings/trades of players is next in that process.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I mean we have already changed our coaching staff completely

Delsitings/trades of players is next in that process.

Do you want us to become modern day Carlton or Melbourne for 20 years?

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I cut and pasted from 2017, 18 and 19.

But if he fails this time, that’s it. Only gets one more 2 year contract extension.

It’s the new ‘Daniel Wells is training the house down’.

Back