Autopsy Shameful game V Dees - tell it like it is right here.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t want to get into the umps, but giantroo do you have footage of that Maj tackle, where petracca? gets nailed and put on his back, only to get boot to ball, whilst laying on said back??
im only highlighting this as, this is what’s wrong with footy today, ffs reward the tackler.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had been assuming we have been tanking for a while given selection and match day roles.

However given 'tanking' would have meant we needed to beat Melbourne and flog them by as much as we could then the only conclusion is that we haven't been tanking (or did someone forget to tell Shawry we have Melbourne's first pick?)

Why weren't players rested against Geelong for this game - Goldie, Taz, Jye - that would have shown we were in tank mode.

Goldie is only on the wing for the tap out because Maj is also effective in that area - then Maj pushes forward and Goldie rucks so that is fine.

Higgo in defence - we need better usage back there so that is also fine.

I think we can assume some experimenting/learning is going on (eg leaving McKay on Weideman) but the bottom line is that we are just no good - a combination of coaching tactics, training, personnel available.
This is 100% correct (imo). The tanking talk is just an easy out.

Waynesworld

The poster formerly know as "Waynesworld"
May 28, 2012
At the Chinese takeout.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Werribee
We have a good 23 and under core, so not all is lost
LDU
Simpkin
TT
Kyron Hayden
Bonar
Ahern
(Probs the most skilful kick on our list)
W Walker
Curtis Taylor
Zurhaar
Larkey
Comben
Perez
Mahony
Bailey
Xerri
2 first round picks to come

...And significant question marks next to Comben, Perez and 2 first round picks.

That leaves 9, of which there are no guarantees with any of them

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
We need speed and skill across the entire ground.

I can't believe how s**t the underbelly of the side were yesterday.

I almost smashed the TV on the 2-3 occasions Hall managed to * up a turnover goal scoring opportunity in an acre of space in the middle of the ground.

We have some genuinely good players, however we have 5-10 players in this side consistently getting a game who would be amongst the worst 5 or so players getting regular games in any side in the league. Just horrific.

Jy is off, but he's still putting in a shift.

Even if Cunners is back next year we need to begin the replacement phase, he's going to be a guy that may retire as soon as 2022 imo. He doesn't love AFL footy, certainly not in a cellar dweller side at the end of his career when he could be back on the farm.

LDU showed a heap, there was movement when he rag dolled Oliver with the thrust of his hips walking through a tackle. He and Jy just need to be given the keys to the midfield ASAP.

We can't fix this list overnight, no way, but we can begin building a really good base to work off, whether that is 2 x mids, or go after a McDonald or Thilthorp in conjunction with a Phillips/Hollands to start building up a long term partner for Larkey, or DGB to replace Tarrant.

We are so deficient across so many key areas, this is definitely a 3-4 year rebuild. We need quality mids, quality tall defenders, 2-3 genuine quality small forwards, and some quality half backs. Then we need to procure or draft one of the better ruckman in a draft cycle pretty much now.

We can't do that in one draft, it's going to take 4-5 x 1st and 4-5 x 2nd round picks to fill up those slots.

Especially when you factor in we are losing Goldstein, Cunners, Higgins, Tarrant over that same period.

The problem with turning to complete s**t like we have, we have probably given up some FA opportunities like Zac Williams etc.

Serious consideration needs to be had r.e Brown, as any genuine currency may cut off a year of any rebuild.

Absolutely no scenario should be off the table, we should commit to a full rebuild now (almost publicly), then we can really sink our teeth into what is a phenomenal draft in 2021.

Last edited:

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which players do people think shaw would be alluding to that aren't up to it?

At a guess:

Wood
Williams
Pittard
Ahern
Durdin
Murphy
Hosie
Campbell

Will all go.

Borderline:

Hall
Tyson
Atley
Ziebell (I know)
JMac (I'd keep him over Atley and Pittard on current form)

Decent players but must improve aspects of their game:

Dumont (disposal)
Anderson (see Dumont)
Polec (******* everything! So frustrated with Jared).
Zurharr (kicking for goal, staying invovled in games)
Brown (fairly obvious)

Garner and Jacobs finished with injury.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t want to get into the umps, but giantroo do you have footage of that Maj tackle, where petracca? gets nailed and put on his back, only to get boot to ball, whilst laying on said back??
im only highlighting this as, this is what’s wrong with footy today, ffs reward the tackler.

Reward the ball player who was smart enough to get ball to foot.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
At a guess:

Wood
Williams
Pittard
Ahern
Durdin
Murphy
Hosie
Campbell

Will all go.

Borderline:

Hall
Tyson
Atley
Ziebell (I know)

Dumont (disposal)
Anderson (see Dumont)
Brown (fairly obvious)

Yeh pretty much this.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We need speed and skill across the entire ground.

I can't believe how sh*t the underbelly of the side were yesterday.

I almost smashed the TV on the 2-3 occasions Hall managed to fu** up a turnover goal scoring opportunity in an acre of space in the middle of the ground.

We have some genuinely good players, however we have 5-10 players in this side consistently getting a game who would be amongst the worst 5 or so players getting regular games in any side in the league. Just horrific.

Jy is off, but he's still putting in a shift.

Even if Cunners is back next year we need to begin the replacement phase, he's going to be a guy that may retire as soon as 2022 imo. He doesn't love AFL footy, certainly not in a cellar dweller side at the end of his career when he could be back on the farm.

LDU showed a heap, there was movement when he rag dolled Oliver with the thrust of his hips walking through a tackle. He and Jy just need to be given the keys to the midfield ASAP.

We can't fix this list overnight, no way, but we can begin building a really good base to work off, whether that is 2 x mids, or go after a McDonald or Thilthorp in conjunction with a Phillips/Hollands to start building up a long term partner for Larkey, or DGB to replace Tarrant.

We are so deficient across so many key areas, this is definitely a 3-4 year rebuild. We need quality mids, quality tall defenders, 2-3 genuine quality small forwards, and some quality half backs. Then we need to procure or draft one of the better ruckman in a draft cycle pretty much now.

We can't do that in one draft, it's going to take 4-5 x 1st and 4-5 x 2nd round picks to fill up those slots.

Especially when you factor in we are losing Goldstein, Cunners, Higgins, Tarrant over that same period.

The problem with turning to complete sh*t like we have, we have probably given up some FA opportunities like Zac Williams etc.

Serious consideration needs to be had r.e Brown, as any genuine currency may cut off a year of any rebuild.

Absolutely no scenario should be off the table, we should commit to a full rebuild now (almost publicly), then we can really sink our teeth into what is a phenomenal draft in 2021.
Yep - pretty much what I have been saying for 6 months now so good to have you on board Pykie.

I expect yesterday will be that moment where even the perennial 'all our players are great' posters also come on board as to dire predicament we are in.

Only 1 point of difference though - we don't have the luxury of a 4 year rebuild - the media are already on us and in 12 months it will be unbearable when crowd numbers dwindle.

We need to nail this year and next years draft with multiple picks inside 30 plus additional picks late. That will be the extent of our rebuild.

We have 8-10 good prospective kids now - we need another 6 with some good role players to add to that.

We can do it - in Brady we trust!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
At a guess:

Wood
Williams
Pittard
Ahern
Durdin
Murphy
Hosie
Campbell

Will all go.

Borderline:

Hall
Tyson
Atley
Ziebell (I know)

Dumont (disposal)
Anderson (see Dumont)
Brown (fairly obvious)

Is Murphy that bad? He has been selected for just one game this year in round 1 and went alright I thought.
If they cut Campbell (and I'm ok if they do), I'd expect they'd then still need to recruit/draft a 3rd ruckman, as they couldn't go with just Goldy and Xerri.
Hall should go.
Tyson should go. If he's been fit in recent weeks but still can't get a game with our injuries, then it suggests his papers are stamped.
Atley should go, but I'm not sure if they'd have the balls to pull the trigger on him this year. Unless another club was interested in trading for him.
Ziebell should go, but they won't cut him because of the C next to his name. Again though, if another club was interested I would entertain a trade.
Agree that Garner and Jacobs need to go, can't keep carrying them, especially with reduced lists expected.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
While lying on his back?

Why not? He got tackled and disposed of it legally.

We all want less congestion and more free flowing football but then complain when umpires give players an extra half second to dispose of it.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Kingy has spoken!

You know what that means..

1597032066175.png

Kingy has spoken!

Can't believe I'm saying this but Montagna is spot on in this article and it's an argument we've had on here several times. The issue isn't Jmac or Atley, Pittard or Turner, Dumont or whoever. The issue is that we have way too many half paced players with average disposal. We don't need to move on 8 of them in one go to make a big difference - but we do need to recalibrate the mix significantly. Can't even begin to judge our forward line given the ball is barely getting there with any purpose - it's 90% in the middle at the moment, particularly the vacuum around CHF.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why not? He got tackled and disposed of it legally.

We all want less congestion and more free flowing football but then complain when umpires give players an extra half second to dispose of it.
Man, we must’ve played in different eras. When a tackler brings you to ground, that’s gotta be holding the ball.. I don’t care about the look of the game, I care about the opaque rules and umpires choosing when to enforce them.
At some point we have to realise we’ve got a special game that’s been played for over 150 years, the last 20 have been an abomination with chopping and changing rules to suit individual teams.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
It's laughable that many think a change in game plan / new game plan will fix our problems. Our issue, as has been the case for years, is our horrible skills. Kicking in particular.

Clarko got 4 flags with a winning game plan, because he had players with the skills to execute it!
The Eagles won their flag because that final passage of play was executed with exquisite kicking and marking from full back to full forward under the immense pressure of being the final minute in a GF when they were behind by under a goal.
Richmond have won their flags because their players can kick and handball to slice through the opposition.

We are a mile off it. And what gets my goat is that everyone has been able to see it for eons, but it still hasn't been corrected.

Back