Shane Crawford: 8 years 8 million For Danger Dee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
THE Melbourne Football Club should be ready to launch Operation Dangerfield — and be prepared to pay a king’s ransom to make it happen.

Leaving Gary Ablett aside, there are few more exciting footballers than Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield at the moment and that’s why the Demons must look to offer him a multi-million dollar, multi-year contract in an effort to lure him back east.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...million-contract/story-fni5f1tu-1226930359161

While I think the Buddy deal was ridiculous, I'm actually thinking Crawf may have a point here.

It's going to take something amazing to get Dangerfield away from Adelaide so why not give it a crack? He's right in it being far less of a risk than the Swans with Buddy, he'll be 24 by the time his contract expires and we are STARTING to look more appealing as a club and hopefully by the time his contract his up we will be significantly further along (I think we will be).

What have we got to lose?

8 million for 8 years? I'm in.

Doesn't seem to me to be the big ego money-grabbing type. Can't see it happening.

That's more like it from a footy pov although it wouldn't get the job done from a contract pov.

Dangerfield plays a bash and crash brand of footy which really takes its toll physically. No doubt he has a solid frame but he won't be able to play like that his whole career. He will have to change his game IMO around 28/29 or he'll be burnt out. Just my opinion.

That's more like it from a footy pov although it wouldn't get the job done from a contract pov.

Dangerfield plays a bash and crash brand of footy which really takes its toll physically. No doubt he has a solid frame but he won't be able to play like that his whole career. He will have to change his game IMO around 28/29 or he'll be burnt out. Just my opinion.

Surely though we could afford to front load enough of his contract that he is only on 600 or so by the end, Play him deep forward after 30
Id be all for it if the club could do it although its unrealistic ( isn't it )

You would think he will finish his career near the goal square as a lead up player - and boy will he kick some goals.

8 years is just ridiculous. I know it's probably the way of the future and we should all get used to it, but f*** me. I agree it's less risky than the Buddy deal, but not by heaps. Also, what's with that article? 'Money not a driving force', so we should offer him 10 mil? I suppose everyone has their price, but 8 years? Nah.

8 years is just ridiculous. I know it's probably the way of the future and we should all get used to it, but f*** me. I agree it's less risky than the Buddy deal, but not by heaps. Also, what's with that article? 'Money not a driving force', so we should offer him 10 mil? I suppose everyone has their price, but 8 years? Nah.
It's based on the fact it's going to take something extraordinary to get him away from Adelaide.

The whole "money is not a driving force" and then offering him 8 million is to see if he has his price, not sure what's confusing about that.

It's based on the fact it's going to take something extraordinary to get him away from Adelaide.

The whole "money is not a driving force" and then offering him 8 million is to see if he has his price, not sure what's confusing about that.

Yeah you're right. I maintain my outrage though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll still be a great player by 32 and most of what we wanted out of him would hopefully be accomplished before he hit that age.
Agreed. His playing type strikes me as similar to Boomer Harvey and Gaz to an extent and if his output at the age they are now is even half of what they're producing we'll have done okay out of it. There's a 0.1% chance of it happening but you'd still want to see us do it.

Would love in at the Dees.

Pretty s**t article though.

No offence to Crawf - love the charity work he does. Seems like a good bloke...

However I'm pretty sure News Ltd just give him a pack of Crayolas to scrawl down the odd footy article here and there, and then they publish it like it means something. Dangerfield to the Dees? 8 for 8? Less than 5% chance of happening, and that's being generous.

However, I guess we'd be negligent not to at least inquire about whether he's keep for a move back to Vic when his current contract is up...

$7m over 6 would be ideal.
Heavily front ended too, to make sure we can pay Hogan, Tyson etc when the time comes. We just need the money to pull this off. The other benefit of signing a marquee player like Dangerfield is that it would make us much more attractive to larger sponsors too.

$7m over 6 would be ideal.
Throw in regular appearances on TFS where he can do more Jim Carey and Bear Grylls impersonations. Just to get him over the line.

He'll still be a great player by 32 and most of what we wanted out of him would hopefully be accomplished before he hit that age.
Don't know about that. He plays a bang and crash style of his game, so his body could be totally ****ed by then. Plus his pace is a major asset and there is a chance it may almost be gone by then as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back