Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Yello Mit, Oct 20, 2016.

1. FreoMonocle

FreoMonocle Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Apr 25, 2011
    #251 FreoMonocle, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Pointing out first that Mayne butchered at goal, which isn't a shared trait.

Comparing to Mayne is interesting. Both are probably best used as 3rd talls, comparable height/weight. Maynes in 2015 scored 1.2 goals a game (in goal kicking yips stage rather than his 2012/2013 true kicking era) where Kersten is currently on 1.1 per game. Mayne at his spuddiest offered more than Kersten is currently offering both through scoreboard (though at 0.1 just barely), for all his woes at goalkicking Mayne was a top class defensive forward and Kersten isn't at that level.

A forward can miss a shot - or two, but Mayne slayed our momentum a few times with continual misses. Kersten isn't spudding the kicks like Mayne did which is to his credit. But his scoreboard pressure is light, so he needs to at the least get some more tackles in - like he did against the Kangas (4 tackles) where he has only been laying 1 tackle in all the other games or get more seperation from his opponent or fly at the packs more or something. Otherwise, we're relishing one magic card trick from him per game (spectacular mark or a match winning goal) but little else in 4 quarters.

Not trying to roast him. I think it takes match time for new players to settle in as a preseason doesn't compare to matches, let alone that the forward line is substantially changed and needs time to gel. But imho he will need to progressively take his game up another level or two or he will lose his spot in the next year or two via recruitment.

meima, Unique Name, Kram and 2 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Grandstan

Grandstan Team Captain

Fremantle
    Jul 15, 2013
    Melbourne
    Just so long as we don't trade like Pig Iron Bob did with Japan.

3. UFO Tatsu

UFO Tatsu Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2012
    Perth, WA
    You 193cm height?

4. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2012
    Perth, WA
    wayToGo_ likes this.
  5. Gussman

Gussman Team Captain

Fremantle
    Oct 14, 2016
    Mayne:

Kersten:

6. Hellgood

Hellgood Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    May 21, 2006
    WA
    Couple of cm off that, but Kersten has a good 20kg on me now and possibly had even more back then. Fortunately I played most of my footy as a forward / wing and didn't have to stand him. Possible claim to fame is standing next to Jesse Hogan at a centre bounce (he was even bigger than Kersten was but for some reason being used as a midfield bulldozer). I was happier standing next to him than anywhere in the line of fire though thats for sure!

7. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2012
    Perth, WA
    Couple of years ago we would of signed you up into the team :p

Van_Dyke and meima like this.
  8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Sep 9, 2013
    Bundeena
    Agree with all of this but would like to add that Kersto is showing more promise for the contested marks coming out of D50 and general long options. It was an area we were getting slayed in and is big for our transition.

FreoMonocle and UFO Tatsu like this.
  9. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2012
    Perth, WA
    Clunking those contested marks were the difference between a goal and a rebound 50. Despite his apparent low stats, I am more than happy with his contribution to the forward line, especially in the past three games.

10. electricfeel

electricfeel Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Sep 21, 2008
    Perth
    That triggers bad memories

11. Kram

Kram I'll brik u

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, de Boer
    May 2, 2007
    WA
    Slowly but but surely putting it all together to be a decent forward, apart from missing a couple of shots yesterday was very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. freo1997

freo1997 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Jul 6, 2011
    munster
    Just waiting for the day he kicks one from 65. He can bloody roost the leather thats for sure. We haven't had this many foward options since 06, its bloody fantastic.

Lachy96 and UFO Tatsu like this.
  13. Wally Walpamur

Wally Walpamur Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    Sep 23, 2016
    Palmyra
    His 50m left foot pass to Mundy in the third made the pants a bit tighter.

samFFC, freo84, Van_Dyke and 8 others like this.
  14. UFO Tatsu

Fremantle
    Oct 11, 2012
    Perth, WA
    That was a wow kick. We have been crying for guys who can kick the football well and we scored three in the trade period.

15. Wizard

Wizard Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    OKC, Sturt, Cardinals
    Aug 6, 2005
    Adelaide
    I thought his performance yesterday was mega.

He stood up for us when it was tough early and really contributed to keeping the lead manageable. Thought he was easily in our top 5 on the day.

samFFC, Square Peg and dockerfemme like this.
  16. Tbonefreo

Tbonefreo Club Legend

Fremantle
    Feb 13, 2013
    Wagga
    I think he has won over the freo faithful after a shakey start. He was easily the least likeable of the 4 recruits, but has shown plenty of ticker.

That left foot 50m goal assist was ruddy money

dockerfemme likes this.
  17. Nickos66

Nickos66 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Jul 22, 2010
    Perth
    On track for a 30 goal season - what more could you want from a solid role player. I'm a fan.

Even Mayne & Ballas in their heyday really only reached as high as in between 30-40 goals a season so for what Kersten's contributing - he's fit into his new surrounds very well.

ritz and Purpletown like this.
  18. im_a_lazy_sod

im_a_lazy_sod Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Everton FC - EFFC Sharks - Tranmere
    Aug 27, 2007
    Block 108 as loud as any
    Tabs gives Shane and Cam a bit more freedom - rather than just sit in the goal square and try and outmark and outmuscle taller and bigger defenders than themselves

Both look good in the forward 50 and up the ground, winning the ball on the wing then pelting the ball in to our forward 50.

Shane loves applying pressure and has a bit of confidence about him when taking on a would-be tackler. Like how he is slowly finding his role. I'd wager it was tough for both him and cam being new forwards trying to find a rhythm with the only other permanent forward to gel with being Walters (given tabs was at Peel, ape and ballas were injured and even then Walters has been playing further and further up the ground). It's like throwing them in blind and hope it works - tabs at least gives them something to work around

19. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
    Sep 18, 2013
    Yes.

It was also off a step after corralling a bouncing ball and turning through traffic.

Barra didn't have to break stride...

lw11, UFO Tatsu and Kram like this.
  20. Mockcockpit

Mockcockpit All Australian

Fremantle
    Apr 18, 2011
    Japan
    The full tilt pick-up, with 9:06 to go in the last quarter, from a grubber kick from Blakely then the dish off back to Blakely had me applying a soothing balm to my delicate zone.

freo84 and Retzlaff like this.
  21. MadDocker

MadDocker Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Jun 26, 2013
    I've never really understood the referencing of getting a boner to men playing football etc...

[​IMG]

22. JimmyDE

JimmyDE Jive for Bay13s Safety Officer

Kersten had a great game on the weekend, infact all the players we picked up from other clubs have been good.

23. jedi mind tricks

jedi mind tricks Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Mar 13, 2011
    Dream State
    We gave up very little for them and all have added something to the squad. Hill outside pace. Kersten and Cam a stronger more potent forward line with Hamling a key defender who is much needed considering Dawsons form and A Pearce injury.

Kersten was never given much of a go at Geelong and Ross has continued to play him. He has found form and if kicks straight will be a big concern for opposition clubs.

24. JimmyDE

JimmyDE Jive for Bay13s Safety Officer

It was great work from the club picking those 4 players up, they all came froms clubs who have played good footy over the last few years.

Kersten started off a bit slow but his form is getting better every week, he is going to be a very good forward for us. His work at ground level for someone playing in his position was brilliant vs Essendon.

theGav56, jedi mind tricks and lw11 like this.
  25. Wally Walpamur

Wally Walpamur Premium Gold

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    Sep 23, 2016
    Palmyra
    Sure makes it interesting to see who the club have already identified as targets for this upcoming trade period, assuming we've gone the young WA boys living abroad strategy. McGovern would be high on the list I imagine, Tim English next year.