Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Mumble or not he seems humble, focused and articulate....no doubt it's hard to stand in front of a camera and appear polished. I like him and his attitude.

Is he the guy who was quoted as saying he didn't like Freo? If so it must have come from Crumpet Face because he says exactly the opposite in that clip.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mumble or not he seems humble, focused and articulate....no doubt it's hard to stand in front of a camera and appear polished. I like him and his attitude.

Is he the guy who was quoted as saying he didn't like Freo? If so it must have come from Crumpet Face because he says exactly the opposite in that clip.

Apparently he was happy that Freo didn't pick him in the draft.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
I got from that he wanted us to take him, he was probably devo at the time and lashed out like a kid on social media

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Heard a radio interview with him on SEN, two things of note to come out of it.
1. He and hamling are very close mates, both are pumped to run out for FFC together
2.it seemed he was a square peg in a round forward position hole at Geelong. He was their defensive forward and it didn't sit well with him. Anyone thinking of handing over Mayne's role to Kerstan may want to reconsider. He's looking forward to playing attacking football.
In saying that, he did pre-qualify the statement by saying he hadn't spoken to Ross Lyon yet.....he might be in for a shock !!
I also got the impression he wanted to be drafted by FFC originally and was disappointed that we didn't pick him up first. Said he was happy to finally be back where he belonged, or something to that effect

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was their defensive forward and it didn't sit well with him. Anyone thinking of handing over Mayne's role to Kerstan may want to reconsider. He's looking forward to playing attacking football.
In saying that, he did pre-qualify the statement by saying he hadn't spoken to Ross Lyon yet.....he might be in for a shock !!
I so hope not. I hope our first priority is for him to hit the scoreboard. I like that he was not happy with his role. Suggests he might have a few more gears to go up as an attacking player.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sorry there , there is no perth legend on the radio sport fm i heard the wrong thing:straining:. East freo player tony micale.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Disagree. I find them talking about freo more than eagles with the least bias that I can find on Perth radio. Besides their segment with Scotty Cummings who openly dislikes freo :p at least he's open about it

On D5833 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Scotty ,Adam McGrath all eagles .

bigblackboz

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
North Korea
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
North Korean Soccer Team
Heard a radio interview with him on SEN, two things of note to come out of it.
1. He and hamling are very close mates, both are pumped to run out for FFC together
2.it seemed he was a square peg in a round forward position hole at Geelong. He was their defensive forward and it didn't sit well with him. Anyone thinking of handing over Mayne's role to Kerstan may want to reconsider. He's looking forward to playing attacking football.
I also got the impression he wanted to be drafted by FFC originally and was disappointed that we didn't pick him up first. Said he was happy to finally be back where he belonged, or something to that effect
With all due respect to Shane Kersten. Our whole forward line suffered from lack of defensive pressure. He applied little defensive pressure so if that was his role, he failed miserably. Shane Kersten has no capacity to play the Mayne role.

The interesting thing with Kersten is that he isn't a great mark, I think Caddy and Cockatoo played the marking role better than him when he was out/on the bench and that to me spelled the end of Shane Kersten. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice mark but as a forward you need to be a better mark if you are going to be effective at AFL level. I also don't think he is mobile enough to play the smaller role in the forward line. He got 17 games to prove himself but in the end guys like Caddy and Cockatoo were preferred as their marking was just as effective and they were far better on the ground and providing pressure. He is your typical inbetweener. Good at everything but not good enough at anything to have that stand out attribute that make him a player.

Its possible that the open spaces of WA, allow him more room to lead but I just don't think he has it. He is the type of guy who could kick 100 in the VFL and is too good for that level but just doesn't have the tools to be a top-11 player at AFL level. His kicking is beautiful but you need to get the ball to kick it.

Back