Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect to Shane Kersten. Our whole forward line suffered from lack of defensive pressure. He applied little defensive pressure so if that was his role, he failed miserably. Shane Kersten has no capacity to play the Mayne role.

The interesting thing with Kersten is that he isn't a great mark, I think Caddy and Cockatoo played the marking role better than him when he was out/on the bench and that to me spelled the end of Shane Kersten. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice mark but as a forward you need to be a better mark if you are going to be effective at AFL level. I also don't think he is mobile enough to play the smaller role in the forward line. He got 17 games to prove himself but in the end guys like Caddy and Cockatoo were preferred as their marking was just as effective and they were far better on the ground and providing pressure. He is your typical inbetweener. Good at everything but not good enough at anything to have that stand out attribute that make him a player.

Its possible that the open spaces of WA, allow him more room to lead but I just don't think he has it. He is the type of guy who could kick 100 in the VFL and is too good for that level but just doesn't have the tools to be a top-11 player at AFL level. His kicking is beautiful but you need to get the ball to kick it.

Thank you for coming onto our board to tell all of us that Kersten :

1) Isn't a great mark

2) Has no defensive pressure

3) Isn't very mobile

4) Has no stand out attributes that will make him a player

5) You don't think he has it

6) Doesn't have the tools to become an AFL level player

7) Will stand out in the WAFL

8) Is a beautiful kick but can't get the ball

What do you see his trade value was ?

Don't know about anyone else, but my Norton is saying this is a known dangerous site - may be worth avoiding...
I recommend ignoring it.

I don't run antivirus software, but I would suppose that Norton (or whatever) would simply caution against sites that have custom TLDs (i.e. .afl).

I thought he played really well on Saturday, good positioning and leading. He also has good strength and I'm so glad he had a better game as I think he and Mcarthy are going to make quite a potent forward line. Hope he plays a blinder this week.

Woohoo. Hats off and glasses up to Shane Kersten - Mark of the Year winner for Round 3.

Well done Shane, I preferred Mills' though. Not only is it courageous but tracking the ball backwards like that makes it the more impressive grab. That type of mark is always underrated.

I recommend ignoring it.

I don't run antivirus software, but I would suppose that Norton (or whatever) would simply caution against sites that have custom TLDs (i.e. .afl).
I'm sure you're right - I am probably over cautious because my laptop is my livelihood. I might open it on the Surface just in case :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Shane, I preferred Mills' though. Not only is it courageous but tracking the ball backwards like that makes it the more impressive grab. That type of mark is always underrated.

Just watched Mills' mark again and you're right. Unwavering focus under pressure with no thought for his own welfare and his courage was exemplary. Shane scored higher in the entertainment stakes for sheer excitement value and classic aerial display.

His last two games have been solid. The freo faithful have never been too kind to recruited fowards. I for one have been very supportive(even to jack anthony)..and just hope to see that we can have one that stays for 10 plus years.

Its great we recruited two kpf in one off season, hoping that keeps the pressure off each individual.

Looking at Kersto and Cam doesn't exactly inspire confidence but they are starting to vibe together. Mark of the week will help with confidence.

A bit too early to remove him from the shame pile.
I would've said it's a bit too early to add him, let alone remove him. :huh:

He's no Taberner who's had 5 years to continually get our hopes up and knock them down just when you think he's turned a corner.

Granted, he might've fluffed a few marks in his short career so far here, but i'm pretty sure the other 3 trade inclusions have too..

If he could get games in a side that actually had some forwards in Geelong, he'll be an worthy addition to our forwardline. In the short term at least.

He'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back