No Oppo Supporters Shane Martin home for Christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

STEPHEN DRILL, Sunday Herald Sun
December 23, 2017 8:44pm
Subscriber only
DUSTIN Martin’s father, Shane, was stopped from celebrating Christmas with his family in Bali because of alleged Australian Government interference.

Indonesian customs officers at Bali’s Denpasar airport this month told Shane Martin he could not come through because Australia had requested he be refused entry.

“I was so confused, I’ve been to Bali before, even after my visa was cancelled and had no problems,” Shane said.

He said the officials told him: “I’m sorry — we’ve been told by Australian Government not to let you in.”

“It’s Australia, they kept saying and they were embarrassed and apologetic.”

Dustin Martin would swap ‘all the medals’ for dad Shane Martin’s return

Nicholas Reece: Dusty’s dad, Shane Martin, is the victim of a flawed system

2712c92ba431da537b80a0345a51a941

Dustin Martin with his father Shane Martin in New Zealand for Christmas. Picture: Supplied.
Dustin told the Sunday Herald Sun from New Zealand said he was “shattered”.

“We had Christmas in Bali planned for a while — way before the minister’s decision was overturned — and it was gonna be really special for my family to be all together,” he said.

“But dad got to Bali and was told the Australian authorities now requested he’s not allowed in.”

Dustin said he could not understand why his father was refused entry to Bali.

“I was just shattered and really confused. Why would they stop him from going to Bali now? We were there a year ago and nothing changed apart from dad winning his case,” he said.

“I’ve had a good year on the footy field with the club’s success and everything. I’m a really proud Australian and I love this country but this just isn’t a fair go.”

Shane was stopped at Bali’s Denpasar Airport on December 12, just days after Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton conceded he made a legal error.

The error gave Shane Martin the right to reapply for a visa into Australia.

573c9f783e4979663ec25b77eb8e6c55

From left, Dustin Martin, stepsister Alana, 15, father Shane, stepsister Emma, 17, and stepmother Adriana in New Zealand for Christmas. Picture: Supplied.
But under section 32 of the Migration Act, a New Zealander who is banned from entering another country, including Indonesia, can be refused an Australian visa.

Shane’s lawyers had emailed Mr Dutton’s lawyers on November 21 about their plans to travel to Bali via Sydney.

He had previously travelled to Bali via Melbourne and Sydney in October 2016, which the Australian Government was told about before he went.

The department did not respond to Shane’s latest travel itinerary until December 5, at 1.26pm — four hours after they had conceded that Mr Dutton’s lawyers had made a legal error in cancelling Shane’s visa.

Mr Dutton’s lawyers told them in that email that Shane would be not be allowed to land in Australia and advised them to fly via Singapore.

The family changed his flights, following the government advice, and when Shane arrived at Denpasar airport he was stopped by customs officers.

Shane’s passport was taken and would not be returned until he signed a form saying he had been refused entry into Bali, but he did not get a copy.

His wife Adriana had been waiting for him on the other side of the gate, was allowed in and they were spoken to in a side room.
Dutton will now refuse a visa to Australia because he was refused entry into Indonesia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back