Free Agency Shane Mumford rejoins GWS under new preseason signing rules

Remove this Banner Ad

The only part I question is how he can be signed as a free agent to the rookie list? Wouldn't it have to be on the main list or go to the rookie draft?
It seems so. My assumption is if the free agent thing thing is correct is he goes to the main list.
I think it is based on the CBA but happy to debate.

Whether it actually matters with two floating spots between 38-40 that can be main list or rookies is arguable. He would be upgraded quickly anyway, no way is he going to undertake an off season to play NEAFL. s**t can happen though.

The ostensible reason for a comeback is that he's beating the other rucks on our list in training.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-brings-in-midseason-rookie-draft-for-2019-

It’s under this rule. Timing mentioned ‘1 december’ is consistent between the rules above and those mentioned in the fox sports article.

Any player previously listed on an afl club could be signed this way.

It’s an interesting one, does this mean Zac Clarke (ex freo ruck who played in wafl last season) could get a handshake agreement with his preferred club and not nominate for the draft to risk going to a club he didn’t like?

This post was prescient.

Clarke using this rule to join Essendon.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

This rule could new mature age players being drafted is a thing of the past. It includes players who have previously nominated for the draft. If the afl approved it Tim Kelly could have signed for west coast or freo without going into the draft last year.

Get the impression this special treatment might only be for delisted veteran players. They may not give dispensation to skip the draft to guys like Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very poor move.

Was very overrated based on his dog acts around the footy field and "toughness". If he is rucking for us toward the end of the season (and Flynn is fit), we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Obviously the Giants list management staff know far more than me, but I don't like this at all.

Very poor move.

Was very overrated based on his dog acts around the footy field and "toughness". If he is rucking for us toward the end of the season (and Flynn is fit), we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Obviously the Giants list management staff know far more than me, but I don't like this at all.

My thoughts are he is there until they believe Briggs is ready(which wont be long).

Sorry to say but Flynn may have missed the boat.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Very poor move.

I dont think Mummy's a dirty player. The only time I've seen him suspended he was trying to pull out of a high tackle and got one week.

He's uncompromising and generally bigger and stronger than his opponent which leads to dominant and painful tackles. It's actually a vexed question when a player is so dominant because it is a risk to the people he tackles.

It's not just Mummy Nic Nat used his bulk to hurt Polec ( from memory) and did get suspended. So did Tex Walker when he physically dominated and rag dolled Josh Kelly.

Rugby has introduced a duty of care. IE where you have complete physical control of a player in a tackle you are resonsible first and foremost for their safety. I think the AFL needs to expand this concept, which is kinda entering the interpretations gradually I think.

Not sure about whether it would stop Mummy though. Most of his tackles that hurt are front on taking the player in a bear hug. He has to be allowed to shirt front opponents in possession of the ball. Possibly the secondary motion of falling on top of the player could be looked at more closely and penalised if it's avoidable.

I'm happy he's back, and comfortable backing the coaches decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back