Delisted Shane Savage

Remove this Banner Ad

Steak knives just keeps cutting them up. :cool:

Don't really give a stuff where he plays because he is still relatively inexperienced in number of AFL games played. So let him learn and build confidence down back. He will either settle into that position or graduate up the ground.

Either way, we win. If he becomes a Gram II with better foot skills then that's even better. Back in 2010, Lyon rated Gram's long term injury equally as important as Roo ripping his leg off as far as our structures were concerned.

Absolutely stoked with the way he's turned his form around, he was looking like a dud recruit for a while but is now one of our best players.

Our McEvoy trade was a success anyway due to us getting Dunstan and Acres with the draft picks we got but with Savage coming good we're now massive winners from that trade.
But, but, but, Tony Shaw thinks we were crazy to trade out McEvoy... :rolleyes:

Steak knives just keeps cutting them up. :cool:

Don't really give a stuff where he plays because he is still relatively inexperienced in number of AFL games played. So let him learn and build confidence down back. He will either settle into that position or graduate up the ground.

Either way, we win. If he becomes a Gram II with better foot skills then that's even better. Back in 2010, Lyon rated Gram's long term injury equally as important as Roo ripping his leg off as far as our structures were concerned.
Just on games played for him, it's easy to forget at least 20 or something would have been in the sub vest which wouldn't have helped him at all.

So really probably only 40 odd full games or something.

Those Kiwis.
One minute crap
Nek minnit Bloody Fantastic
3owo8e.jpg

Savage is a great pick up for us:thumbsu:

Not sure I agree his last month has been easy, worked very hard.

He hasnt had it easy, but it was clear that against Freo his opponent was Barlow, who buggered off either into the midfield or on general walkabout.
Rarely see him contesting in defence. Might be thats because his positioning is good, or if he's blanketing his man then opponents aren't all that likely to kick to them.
Its difficult to judge really, especially given a smallish body of work.

Then Alistair Lynch, who has a job in the media despite not being good at talking, said St Kilda weren't very good, then refused to identify any players who were no good, describing the game from fringe player Tom Curren as "good".

If the players are all good (or either all prospective clients, Agent Lynchy), then why is the team so bad? Hmm?? Huh??

Then Alistair Lynch, who has a job in the media despite not being good at talking, said St Kilda weren't very good, then refused to identify any players who were no good, describing the game from fringe player Tom Curren as "good".

If the players are all good (or either all prospective clients, Agent Lynchy), then why is the team so bad? Hmm?? Huh??

They talk about people like Eddy Maguire being a conflict of interest. It isn't really, people will notice if he's embellishing Collingwood and he can't affect anything really.
But a player agent , where no-one knows off hand who is on his list and who isn't, working in the media is a massive massive conflict of interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Savage:

In his first 6 games at the club he averaged 12 disposals and 40 CD ranking points.

When switched to half-back he averaged 23 disposals, 16 uncontested possession and 90 CD ranking points, ranking 1 at the club for metres gained and 8th in the competition. In that time he led the club for intercept possessions and inside 50s/rebound 50s combined and ranked 2nd in the league for effective long kicks.

Decided to do a bit of a preview:

Looking back:

The bake that turned Savage's season and maybe even his career around:

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...or-st-kildas-shane-savage-20140720-zv2i4.html

Sav went from an inconsistent and bomb-it-at-all-costs player to someone you wanted the ball in the hands of. He added something that we basically didn't have; we had good ball users at half back as well as accumulators but we didn't have anyone that did both. HB was the perfect place to him to utilize his elite kicking and speed and for him to get some confidence back.

Expectations for this season:

To start off I'd like to see him at HB but to eventually add some versatility to his game and have some stints on the wing and rotate between those two positions (as long as the guy who moves to HB is just as good a kick :D). I don't think he's got genuine midfielder in him and I don't think it's the place to best utilize his strengths anyway. Keeping up his late season average of 23 touches a game will be tough (that's basically AA level) if he can keep it around 20 while not wasting many that will be a good season.

Last edited:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-day-performance/story-fni5f9q3-1227242044959

Shane Savage says he is desperate to atone for his costly performance when the Saints return to Wellington for this year’s Anzac Day clash.

“No doubt I was disappointed with the first half of the year but I found my feet in the second half,’’ he told the Herald Sun yesterday.

“Richo (Alan Richardson) moved me to half back and it was a blessing in disguise. I am definitely keen to go back to New Zealand and have a really strong performance.

“Obviously it was a bit of a slip-up last year and (after giving away the free) I threw it back about 20 rows into the stands and it was a key moment.

“We had a pretty strong performance until the last half of that quarter so I am looking forward to going back to getting the win.”

Savage, 24, says he has put together his best pre-season as he and his wife come to grips with the requirements of seven-week old son Jett.

He says now he would have welcomed that distraction last year as the pressure built and his performances suffered.

“It was really tough. Obviously I had to find a bit in me to get myself into the form I displayed in the second half of the year.

“Physically I was fine but I felt like it was getting to me a bit. At times I felt like I couldn’t contribute to the team.

“I had to go back to the VFL and I am definitely proud of the way I handled myself in that situation.

“I went back and had a really positive mindset and it definitely gave me the mental edge I needed.”

Seemed quiet to begin with, but as we show we're competitive in the restarts he then starts to run in from HB and release the ball forward. Three quality posessions at the weekend were taking the handball out from the restart rabble, and knocking a kick with great trajectory into a dangerous area. With Savage its not just getting number of posessions with the ball being played around at the back... rather he's a driving thrust to get the ball forwards.

I'd like to give Sav a bit of credit.

Since his move to half back last season he's been fantastic.

RD14 v WCE - 21 touches, 6 I50's, 8 marks, 3 1%'s, 8 contested, 1 Goal Assist

15 vs Tiges - 26 touches, 7 marks, 5 I50's,

16 vs Carlton - 25 touches, 4 tackles, 5 rebound 50s

17 vs North - 22 touches and 3 I50s

18 vs Freo - 30 touches, 8 marks, 4 rebounds, 7 I50, 9 contested, Goal Assist

19 vs Gold Coast - 26 touches, 7 1%'s, 7 marks, 5 rebounds

20 vs Dogs - 11 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles

21 vs Sydney - 20 touches, 3 marks, 3 I50s, 5 rebounds

Then he has well and truly continued this year;

1 vs GWS - 21 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 7 inside 50s, 1 Goal Assist, 4 rebounds

2 vs GCS - 26 touches, 5 I50s, Goal Assist, 7 contested, 90% DE,

3 vs Pies - 20 touches, 4 I50s, 7 contested, 4 rebounds, 4 1%'s

-----

Seriously this bloke has been massive for us. He really struggled when he first came to the club. Richo sent him to Sandy, played off half back and has given us something we desperately lack, run and good disposal off half back.

Without Gilbert, Geary, Wright, Webster for much of this period he has been playing a lone hand and he's been fantastic.

So so happy with the McEvoy trade. Dunstan + Savage for Mac has been great business.

Sav has been going under the radar but since coming back has only had under 20 touches once against the dogs when he (tried) to tag Cooney.

He's one we can almost start relying on.

Been a bit slack lately.

20 disposals against the Pies in round 3. Copped a heavy knock filling the hole but played on and was one of our best.

Round 4 is when he started getting some real attention from the opposition. Was heavily tagged and eventually moved forward to try and get him into the game. Finished with just the 15 disposals.

Struggled even more against the Bombers in round 5, could only find the ball 11 times.

Got a clip on the head against the Dogs and was subbed out of the game with concussion.

Pretty decent game against the Crows finishing with 20 disposals and a critical goal.

Started off the year the same way he finished last year and that's got him some extra attention from the opposition who now see how critical he is to our backline. Was always going to happen, now he just needs to figure out a way to work through it. When he does get the ball you can see why he was brought here, absolute dead eye with ball in hand.

Been a bit slack lately.

20 disposals against the Pies in round 3. Copped a heavy knock filling the hole but played on and was one of our best.

Round 4 is when he started getting some real attention from the opposition. Was heavily tagged and eventually moved forward to try and get him into the game. Finished with just the 15 disposals.

Struggled even more against the Bombers in round 5, could only find the ball 11 times.

Got a clip on the head against the Dogs and was subbed out of the game with concussion.

Pretty decent game against the Crows finishing with 20 disposals and a critical goal.

Started off the year the same way he finished last year and that's got him some extra attention from the opposition who now see how critical he is to our backline. Was always going to happen, now he just needs to figure out a way to work through it. When he does get the ball you can see why he was brought here, absolute dead eye with ball in hand.
Don't forget he was subbed with a hammy against Essendon.

Don't forget he was subbed with a hammy against Essendon.
I did forget he was subbed off but the injury video said he was just subbed out because someone had to be. Icing the hammy was just because he injured it 6 weeks earlier so just precautionary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back