Delisted Shane Savage

Shane Savage has been ruled out of Saturday night’s clash with the Western Bulldogs.

The running defender left the training track during Thursday’s main session with a hamstring injury.

While scans are yet to reveal the extent of the injury, he wasn’t considered for selection this weekend.

The 27-year-old has been one of the Saints’ most consistent performers in 2018, playing every game of the season to date.

Go Saints

Defender Shane Savage enjoyed some continuity in his football in 2018, despite finishing the season on the sidelines nursing a hamstring strain.

The 27-year-old was often the driving force behind the Saints’ attack, providing a reliable avenue out of defence alongside fellow half-back Jimmy Webster.

Boasting one of the best disposal efficiency ratings at St Kilda, Savage’s 87.5% average is testament to arguably his biggest strength: his elite ball use.

The ex-Hawk also rated among the Saints’ best for rebound-50s – his season total of 55 placing him behind only Jimmy Webster and Seb Ross.

Director of Coaching Danny Sexton pinned Savage’s consistency in 2018 on his work ethic on the training track.

“Shane had a really prominent off-season,” he said.

“He trained really hard, he’d come into the footy club at all hours and invested quite a bit in his fitness and in his body, and that put him in a really good position at the start of the year.”

Shane’s been really consistent for us,” Sexton said.

“He’s held up his end of the deal defence-wise and some of his ball use is just outstanding, so he’s been a really valuable contributor this season.”

Go Saints

When asked how he judged his performance against Melbourne, Shane Savage immediately spoke about his fellow Saints.

27 touches at 89% efficiency, seven rebound-50s and 443 metres gained made Savage clearly one of the best afield on Saturday.

But the humble defender was quick to deflect any individual praise.

It may sound like your typical footy cliché, but the 28-year-old’s team-first mantra is a shining example of why the Saints have started the season so strongly.

And Savage summed up his feelings for his team in one word: “proud”.

St Kilda’s stirring win over the Demons on Saturday afternoon was the most recent milestone in a start to the season few saw coming.

“It’s been outstanding, I think we’re starting to build real belief. It’s started with the Hawks last week and we carried it into Melbourne this week,” Savage told saints.com.au.

“I’m really proud of the boys, it was a real four-quarter effort, we played to our system, we were fierce and then I thought we really got them on the outside.

“It was an impressive win, but we’ve still got to keep building.”

While there have been many drivers in the Saints’ resurgence, none have been more important than senior coach Alan Richardson.

“Richo’s been outstanding, and no doubt he’s been influenced by the people that have been brought in. Ratts, Lade and even H (Henry Playfair) have been massive for him this year,” Savage said.

Perhaps he’s opened up the door a little bit, he’s let his guard down and he’s been a lot more chilled with the boys, but Richo’s been awesome, and no doubt everyone’s bought into what we’re about this year.”

Merciless team pressure is just one of those commodities, which has returned as a hallmark of St Kilda’s game.

Melbourne were the latest victims to the Saints’ ferocity, in a performance made even more impressive given St Kilda's tumultuous 2018 and injury-ravaged pre-season.

The losses of Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle, alongside other key position players, had many predict the Saints would anchor themselves to the bottom of the ladder.

But so far, this season’s efforts have flown in the face of those assumptions, with the unforeseen back six standing tall and matching the impact of those absent.

“That’s what I’m so proud of, we’ve had some absolute stars in Josh Battle and Callum Wilkie,” Savage said.

“Robbo’s been sorely missed, Carlisle as well, but we’ve had those boys step up, and the experienced guys like Gears, Webby and Browny have helped fill that void really well.”

“I’m really proud with how composed we’ve been down there, our good offence is coming off our really good defence, and it’s been showing in the first five rounds.”

But it’s all about the system. It doesn’t matter who comes in at the end of the day, we play to our system and we get the job done, and that’s exactly what we’ve done.”

And with Jarryn Geary sidelined for the next few weeks with a corked thigh, Savage’s leadership in the back half is now more important than ever.

His thumping right boot to gain territory – placing him in the top five for metres gained in three of St Kilda’s outings – alongside his strong vision and leadership qualities, will be vital in the coming weeks.

There’s been a good omen present through Savage’s son, Jett, who has been at the ground – and subsequently in the team huddle when singing the song – at all of St Kilda’s victories this season.

“I’m so proud that he’s been a part of the journey so far, he’s been great,” Savage said.

And while the tiny Sainter will be at Marvel Stadium this week watching his dad play, the Saints won't rely on good luck charms to snatch a 5-1 start.

“We’re continuing to build that belief and build that momentum, and that’s how we’re going to go forward,” Savage said.

“There’s no doubt Adelaide have been an outstanding team for a very long time, and they’re going to be very tough to beat.”

St Kilda will return to Marvel Stadium to take on the Crows this Saturday at 4:35pm.

Don’t Panic !!

Savage's rocky road to 150
Michael Ryan
May 17, 2019 11:15AM

190516-sav.jpg

How Shane Savage turned his career on its head to notch up 150 AFL games.
To share this moment pre-game with my kids is going to be something that I’ll remember forever.​
Shane Savage
Related
A form slump, a taxing pregnancy and an uncertain future.
It was 2017, and Shane Savage found himself out of form, out of contract and in a hole of self-doubt he thought he might never escape.
While the silky half-back was struggling on the field, his wife Sarah was facing her own set of difficulties off it.
SUPER SAV: Shane goes bang with extraordinary banana effort
But as Sarah overcame complication after complication while pregnant with the pair’s second child, Willow, Savage said he “learnt the meaning of resilience”.
“2017 was a tough year for me from a footy perspective, but it was also probably one of the best years because that was the year my daughter was born,” he told saints.com.au.
“Sarah had a really tough pregnancy and we were already juggling a kid, so I learnt a lot of resilience from her strength.

“It was a really difficult time for us, but I thought to myself, ‘I’ve got to put things into perspective, she’s in hospital almost every day and here I am moaning about my form’.”
The 28-year-old doesn’t hesitate to credit his wife’s strength with resurrecting his career.
“She helped me turn things around, for sure,” Savage said.
“She helped me turn my game around, and when the opportunity to play again came in the second half of the year, I made that most of it and didn’t look back.”

027A9876-13.jpg

On Saturday, Savage will become just the second New Zealand-born player of Maori descent to reach 150 AFL games.
But it’s a milestone that at many stages seemed unlikely for the boy from across the ditch.
Savage was born in Auckland to a Maori father and ‘Pakeha’ (white) mother, before the family migrated to Australia when he was just two.
Like nearly all New Zealanders, the Savage family followed the All Blacks religiously, and initially the sport of Australian Rules football was a bizarre, foreign concept.
MILESTONE MAN: Shane Savage speaks ahead of his 150th
Naturally, Savage played junior rugby, before he was convinced by schoolmates at 10 years of age to try his hand at the Australian code.
It was a new frontier for the 10-year-old Noble Park resident, and he fell in love with our game immediately.
It was the first step in what would ultimately blossom into a 150-game AFL career.
Savage’s early years in the system were rife with injury interruptions and the associated frustrations that accompany them.

18MeHa11LC%20576.jpg

Two season-derailing shoulder injuries saw him sidelined for lengthy periods, before a trade to St Kilda at the end of Season 2013 bore better fortunes.
Fast-forward to 2019, and Savage has become the cornerstone of St Kilda’s new-look back six, currently without Jake Carlisle, Dylan Roberton and Jarryn Geary.
His family is deeply entrenched in the football club – Sarah, son Jett and Willow don’t miss a game – and Jett has become something of a good luck charm for the Saints.
Since Round 2, the youngster with “DADDY” printed above a No. 5 on his miniature St Kilda guernsey has formed part of the huddle as the boys belt out the team song.

02EsSt19MW2114.JPG

Savage speaks of his family with an indelible pride that’s hard to miss.
“Family’s really important, and my wife Sarah’s been a big part of that,” he said.
“She does it tough sometimes, bringing the two kids to the game, she does all the preparation pre-game and stresses herself out, but she’s never missed a beat.
It’s something that I’ve really taken a lot out of. Her support means everything to me.​
In his own words, “it hasn’t been easy to get to 150”, and a special moment with his family beckons at the banner.
“To share this moment pre-game with my kids is going to be something that I’ll remember forever,” Savage said.
“It’ll be quite emotional as well, but I’m really proud that I’m able to share it with them. It should be really special.”
Save his extraordinary Goal of the Year contender last weekend, Savage’s career has played out thus far in typically gritty, selfless, team-oriented fashion.
It’s had its fair share of ups and downs both on and off the field, but he’s emerged all the better for them.
Well deserved, Sav.

Has become one of the senior players in the team . Amazingly when people , including myself , pick the best Saints team of the year will probably miss out in a lot of peoples teams . But really had a great year , his best year of AFL footy in his career . Really an important part of the defence week in and week out . Had very few poor games this year and not many goals kicked on him .

Shane Savage
Career
Games: 163
Rebounds:
Games: 22
Rebounds:

681580_ll.jpg

There were many words to sum up Shane Savage’s 2019 campaign.
Some of the best would be ‘lethal’ and ‘effective’.
The 28-year-old led the defence in the absence of several position players, using his deadly accuracy and spring off the half-back line to catapult the Saints out of danger.
His class was evident with almost every disposal, with the Auckland-born Saint placing first for the club’s effective kicks in Season 2019.
Savage’s rebounding was just as efficient – another statistic which he ranked in first position for – while his ability to gather the footy was a valuable asset to the Saints.
And with the No. 5 set to roll around for at least another season, you can expect much of the same from the silky Saint.
BEST GAME:
Savage was at his classy best against West Coast in Round 8, finishing his evening with 25 disposals, nine rebound-50s, eight marks and an incredible checkside goal from the pocket.

With Ben Long to miss through suspension, Shane Savage shapes as a steadying influence across the Saints’ half-back line.

The seasoned defender is yet to make his 2020 debut, but has sewn together consistent performances in the club’s practice matches against Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton to reassert his case for selection.

Savage was one of seven Saints to play every game in last season, topping the club’s count for rebound-50s and effective kicks.

Back