Shane Warne umpiring tweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Few issues;
1. Constant rule changes
2. Maybe a breakdown in communication between AFL and umpire department
3. No full time umpires
4. Rules being designed to stop players getting hurt as opposed to winning the ball, I.e sliding rule.

The above is a relevant but theres definantly been a directive from the umpiring department and in turn the AFL to keep the frees to a minimun to keep the games flowing this year. Last year the teams on average recieved 20.5 fpg this year its 18.6 fpg.

Personally i think its had a negative affect on the game by minimising scoring oppurtunities in the F50 so essentially the 6/6/6 rule doesnt come into play and the teams just flood more. I think its just a matter of time before the decision is reversed.

I agree the umpiring's been particularly bad this year buts its more about the non-calls than the frees paid so the word has definantley come down from above to put the whistle away.

Ps: The 50's paid this year have been diabolical.

This old chestnut that has been debunked numerous times.

This is a decent analysis if you're a smoothbrain, but anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size can recognize just from looking at this image that the free kick differential doesn't have any impact on team performance. We finished last in 2010 with a free differential of 77, only for the differential to go down to 68 in the following season where we finished 4th. Hawthorn rank 2nd last despite having a meme dedicated to how many frees they get, and Sydney rank dead last throughout a period of footy where they remained extremely competitive and won multiple flags.

All you are doing by invoking "historical free differential" is attempting to discredit any eagles fan who might have a viewpoint that doesn't align with yours by using an extremely shallow form of statistics.

In most cases having a significant positive free kick differential will help boost a team's performance but there will always be outliers where teams are so bad that a significant positive free kick differential still doesn't help them win more games like West Coast in 2010 and sometimes very good teams can overcome a significant negative free kick differential and still win games.

Also if free kick differentials don't matter to a team's performance why do West Coast supporters and footy supporters in general boo or yell for free kicks?

They do it because they know it helps their team if they get more free kicks than they give away.

In most cases having a significant positive free kick differential will help boost a team's performance but there will always be outliers where teams are so bad that a significant positive free kick differential still doesn't help them win more games like West Coast in 2010 and sometimes very good teams can overcome a significant negative free kick differential and still win games.

Also if free kick differentials don't matter to a team's performance why do West Coast supporters and footy supporters in general boo or yell for free kicks?

They do it because they know it helps their team if they get more free kicks than they give away.
All supporters do it. All supporters yell for frees.

In fact having been to a lot of footy over the years I’d say that Saints fans are absolutely filthy. Yeah sure the big 4 get a bad wrap but the stuff I’ve heard drunk saints fans say would make Satan wince.

Last edited:

"outliers", you don't know what an outlier is. These aren't the odd instance where a team loses the free differential but performs well, this happens so frequently that it suggests the relationship doesn't exist

because it doesn't.

Take the data in the chart you've provided and run a regression analysis against ladder position, you will find the relationship is quite literally non existant.

I don't know mate, maybe because it's live sport and that's generally what crowds do? Cheer their team on? Try to put the other team off? Get upset at the umpires when things don't go their way? I'm surprised how many times i've had to explain this to people

it's almost like people don't go to live sport venues to sit quietly like they do in melbourne

"outliers", you don't know what an outlier is. These aren't the odd instance where a team loses the free differential but performs well, this happens so frequently that it suggests the relationship doesn't exist

because it doesn't.

Take the data in the chart you've provided and run a regression analysis against ladder position, you will find the relationship is quite literally non existant.

I don't know mate, maybe because it's live sport and that's generally what crowds do? Cheer their team on? Try to put the other team off? Get upset at the umpires when things don't go their way? I'm surprised how many times i've had to explain this to people

it's almost like people don't go to live sport venues to sit quietly like they do in melbourne
Elite post.

In fact having been to a lot of footy over the years I’d say that Saints fans are absolutely filthy. Yeah sure the big 4 get a bad wrap but the stuff I’ve heard drunk saints fans say would make Satan wince.

We've copped a raw deal from the umpires for years and in particularly when we play West Coast so you can understand why we would be filthy,

Nah mate we do it because it's funny how offended you flog vicos get

I'm actually from WA.

because it doesn't.

There's also plenty of evidence that a lopsided free kick count can influence results, just look no further than the 2016 GF.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this.

I sometimes cringe at the crap our fans say at games. Most of them are sad old men.

That old chestnut.

West Coast got two soft/incorrect free kicks given in front of goal in the first half while two legitimate marks in front of goal weren't paid to us.

That is 2 goals they got gifted and 2 goals we were robbed of, West Coast won by 18 points so it influenced the result.

It had nothing to do with West Coast getting to the ball first and more to do with incompetent umpiring.

You may have noticed that there were plenty of boos from the Saints crowd last night, the commentators even mentioned how the Saints crowd wasn't happy.

For some reason the umpires aren't influenced by that like they are in Perth when the West Coast crowd boos every free kick given against them.
Nathan Brown infringed Kennedy so much he couldn't jump for the ball at times. If umpiring was fair it would have been something like 25-10. Both marks you are complaining about were both clearly not marks. Both were touched by WC players first

We've copped a raw deal from the umpires for years and in particularly when we play West Coast so you can understand why we would be filthy,

I can understand why you'd be filthy, but you can't really blame the entire result on them.

I'm actually from WA.

:(

There's also plenty of evidence that a lopsided free kick count can influence results, just look no further than the 2016 GF.

Is there now? I've told you that if you actually perform the statistical analysis based on free kick differential and ladder position it comes up with no significant relationship. If you'd like to prove otherwise feel free to provide some kind of data that's more than just "look at this one specific game"

Nathan Brown infringed Kennedy so much he couldn't jump for the ball at times. If umpiring was fair it would have been something like 25-10. Both marks you are complaining about were both clearly not marks. Both were touched by WC players first

The issue with those marks were that on the replay, they were very obviously not marks... but at the game, they looked good. It's hard to see a faint touch from the crowd, so I can understand why they went feral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with those marks were that on the replay, they were very obviously not marks... but at the game, they looked good. It's hard to see a faint touch from the crowd, so I can understand why they went feral.
I attended the game and saw them both clearly touched

That's fair enough but it looked fairly obvious to me both times but I probably had a better view than 90% of the crowd. However Plugger 35 bringing it into the conversation with the benifit if hindsight and replays doesnt help his argument that the Saints was robbed.
As for why they put Warnes tweet up it became very obvious that Richo and Co were heavily barracking the Saints all night and were looking to validate their opinions. I even heard a clear "Go Saints" call from one of the idiots at Ch7 with abput 1min 30 on the clock. Someone had coin on the line bet I reckon.

That's fair enough but it looked fairly obvious to me both times but I probably had a better view than 90% of the crowd. However Plugger 35 bringing it into the conversation with the benifit if hindsight and replays doesnt help his argument that the Saints was robbed.

As for why they put Warnes tweet up it became very obvious that Richo and Co were heavily barracking the Saints all night and were looking to validate their opinions. I even heard a clear "Go Saints" call from one of the idiots at Ch7 with abput 1min 30 on the clock. Someone had coin on the line bet I reckon.

Plugger complains about the umpires more than anyone else on the forum. He's not representative of us. :)

...and yeah the commentary is always biased towards the Melbourne-based team. We're not special there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back