Scandal Shane Yarran charged with aggravated common assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Very disappointing to hear that news.
Fremantle gave him a chance to play AFL and for the second pre-season in a row he finds himself in trouble with the law.

It seems he is doing every thing in his power to sabotage his own career.
Pity the same level of support Fremantle have given him is not being reciprocated by Yarran.

Silly lad you only get so many chance in life and he must be getting to the end of the limit .

I am not sure what he did a stretch inside for but I hope it wasn't violence related because that will not bode well for him.

Seems to have some anger management issues.

You have to look at Aboriginal issues before calling an Indigenous person a thug. I always cringe when people forget a s**t upbringing, caused by decades of oppression and identity loss, when talking about these people. The guy is a very good footballer and he showed some nice composure, smarts, and smart skills pretty much right off the back. Unfortunately he has some obvious issues around anger, and that's something he needs to address.

Hope Freo tries to help the bloke out but ultimately you have to put this down to a wider societal issue.

You have to look at Aboriginal issues before calling an Indigenous person a thug. I always cringe when people forget a s**t upbringing, caused by decades of oppression and identity loss, when talking about these people. The guy is a very good footballer and he showed some nice composure, smarts, and smart skills pretty much right off the back. Unfortunately he has some obvious issues around anger, and that's something he needs to address.

Hope Freo tries to help the bloke out but ultimately you have to put this down to a wider societal issue.

Cultural awareness is important, but so is not assaulting people

Colour and creed have nothing to do with being a thug. If someone is a violent criminal they are a violent criminal. Just because they are of a particular racial background doesn't give them any excuse whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to say it, but this guy doesn't deserve to be on a AFL list.

I somehow don't think you hated saying it too much.

Perhaps we should wait until...oh I don't know...until something resembling some facts come out about the incidence.

At what point do some of these GROWN MEN become solely responsible for running into trouble with the law?

In a football sense, these guys aren't sterotypical 'troubled youths', hanging around train stations and sniffing petrol - they have well paid jobs that come with inbuilt support networks of people looking out for them.

At what point do they go from 'oppressed and lacking identity' to functioning Adult with a good job, accountable for their own mistakes?

At what point do they go from 'oppressed and lacking identity' to functioning Adult with a good job, accountable for their own mistakes?

The point changes depending on which football club they play for and which club you actually support.

At what point do some of these GROWN MEN become solely responsible for running into trouble with the law?

In a football sense, these guys aren't sterotypical 'troubled youths', hanging around train stations and sniffing petrol - they have well paid jobs that come with inbuilt support networks of people looking out for them.

yarran very much was in the trouble youth category... ended up in prison from an early age and served 6 years for a very very bad incident

if i re-call correctly him and his mates broke into a young families home, in the kids room they held the mother up against a wall, whilst they severely assaulted her partner with an object

having said that, he is a very shy character and a good natured person, but there is obviously an issue there where the worst can come out of him. alcohol seems to be an issue here based on the judges last comments

i like yaz and was hoping freo could assist him in keeping his life on track, rehabilitating him and turning him into a success story. win/win/win for yarran/freo/the courts

sadly it looks like another slip up has occurred and a trend is starting to appear

i hope he stays on the list and out of prison and this is the last incident we hear of from him. if it is found alcohol was an issue here again, i hope people convince him to give it up permanently

yarran very much was in the trouble youth category... ended up in prison from an early age and served 6 years for a very very bad incident

if i re-call correctly him and his mates broke into a young families home, in the kids room they held the mother up against a wall, whilst they severely assaulted her partner with an object

having said that, he is a very shy character and a good natured person, but there is obviously an issue there where the worst can come out of him. alcohol seems to be an issue here based on the judges last comments

i like yaz and was hoping freo could assist him in keeping his life on track, rehabilitating him and turning him into a success story. win/win/win for yarran/freo/the courts

sadly it looks like another slip up has occurred and a trend is starting to appear

i hope he stays on the list and out of prison and this is the last incident we hear of from him. if it is found alcohol was an issue here again, i hope people convince him to give it up permanently

I don't doubt he WAS a troubled youth...but now he's a 26(?) year old ex-con with a clear shot at turning his life around and people ready and willing to help him do so.

Cultural issues or not - he's a grown man in charge of his own decisions.

The footy club can only be expected to do so much.

Some people are surrounded by trouble and bad influences that they can't get away from. Apart from leaving the country what do you do? Insight the other night was a great example of how family and friends will often use and abuse a person for their own advantage. I don't know Shane Yarran so won't judge.

I don't doubt he WAS a troubled youth...but now he's a 26(?) year old ex-con with a clear shot at turning his life around and people ready and willing to help him do so.

Cultural issues or not - he's a grown man in charge of his own decisions.

The footy club can only be expected to do so much.

remember he was inside for 6 years. went inside shortly after turning 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back