News Shane Yarran - Found Dead in Home - Rest in Peace

elsleevador

All Australian
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Working in the Indigenous justice sector for the better half of 10 years, I know how much his loss means to that community.

The thing is, he was never even meant to make it to an AFL club. Everyone he committed that awful burglary with several years ago have gone back to jail, and none will be coming out anytime soon. The environment he grew up in was mostly hellish, and Indigenous suicide in his particular geographical area in the south-eastern suburbs is not unusual.

But the kids I worked with worshipped him; people have got it wrong when they think the Cathy Freeman’s, David Wirrapanda’s and Adam Goodes’ are the pure heroes of the Indigenous community. It’s the guys like Yarran who have lived the same life as them, who committed crimes with their cousins and older brothers - and somehow managed to make it out and all the way to the big time. In mid-2016 it was a topic in a group therapy program I was a part of, and a common theme was trying to figure out how someone could come from that far back in life and become an actual goal-kicker in a game of AFL.

It was their personal closeness to a guy like him, from a family like his, that probably made some of them realise for the first time in their entire lives that alternative futures existed.

It didn’t work out, and it had a tragic end - but make no mistake, he achieved something no one in my industry would have expected someone in his immediate family background could ever have got close to.

I hope issues like this demonstrate that the people in our most downtrodden areas are also some of our most talented, and it’s the entire community’s responsibility to give them the ongoing love and mentor ship they need - not when they’re 26-27, and coming out of the jail system, but from the minute they learn how to spell their own name.
Great post and so true. Thanks for your insight and keep up the good work.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think there is a stance from the club and I don’t think a lot is to be gained from them rushing a short tweet/ statement. As Taylor said it will no doubt be done in collaboration with the AFL.

The West Australian has already had to correct itself from some of it’s earlier reports that he was on the road to playing some football with Subiaco. Subiaco have indicated that he was committed until about 3-weeks ago when he cut ties and they haven’t been able to contact him.

It is a tragic loss and due respect needs to be paid to those feeling his loss the most at this time. We have a very strong network of Indigenous players, officials and board members who I’m sure will do what is right.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
That is piss weak - really bloody average stuff from the club. Credit to Subi for how they've handled it by comparison.

Subi have been working with him in conjunction with the AFLPA up until 3 weeks ago. I think that the club are in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation in that there are probably those who will point out that his downward spiral began when the club cut him, and that too much lamentation just reeks with “we’re not the bad guys here.” I think a measured response acknowledging he previously played for the club, that his death was incredibly sad, and that the club is extending their sympathy to his loved ones seems to be the only awkward but appropriate response to release.

Subi have been working with him in conjunction with the AFLPA up until 3 weeks ago. I think that the club are in a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation in that there are probably those who will point out that his downward spiral began when the club cut him, and that too much lamentation just reeks with “we’re not the bad guys here.” I think a measured response acknowledging he previously played for the club, that his death was incredibly sad, and that the club is extending their sympathy to his loved ones seems to be the only awkward but appropriate response to release.

He played six games for Fremantle and won two flags at Subiaco, so there is a slight imbalance in where he would be considered at home.

Very sorry for your loss. So bloody sad. :(
If you thought that was bad look what the Daily Heil lead with
View attachment 485836
This is ******* disgraceful. Cheers for posting it though. It'll be my new go-to picture when people suggest that racism is no longer a major issue in Australia.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The club would look very hypocritical to gush on and on about Shane given his exit. I think the statement is fine.

Fair enough but the delay in a simple statement suggests that it's gone to legal and back a few times. It might be perceived that they thought they had something to worry about.

I hope they are using some of their resources and connections to do what they can for the community. Freo has proudly been associated with Aboriginal culture so it would be great for it to be able to be a leader when things don't go well as well. Not that this should be publicised so we may never know what the club has done.

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,
Sad sad loss. Condolences to his family.
He was a great player and could have been anything for the Dockers. Loved watching him in Purple.

Quite disappointed with the very average statement by our President. Something a little more personal would have been in order I should have thought.
I honestly hope the club and the AFLPA reach out to support his family at this time

Rest in Peace.

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Horrible, sad news. This really is a lose lose story. His partner and child have lost a partner and father, a mother has lost a son; nobody should have to bury their child.

I understand it’s their job but maybe the journalists and media might reconsider how they go about the constant harassment and unrelenting pressure outside of the courtroom. At the end of the day he’s a human, too. Show me someone who hasn’t made a mistake or bad choice and I’ll show you a liar.

I understand what you mean, but I think this type of commentary is grossly unfair and unwarranted. They did not cause this. Do you not think that they would already be feeling pretty shitty? They are human as well, becoming a reporter / journo does not mean that your emotion and respect for human life disappear.

I hate this blame shifting onto innocent people who were doing their job. Clearly things had been not so great for him for a while, don't focus on the one incident that comes to mind simply because it is the most recent that you remember.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
I'm sure the club would have given him the utmost support while he was at the club. But you can't help somebody who didn't want to be helped. It's a tragedy. But keep the club out if it. They would have done everything they could have guys. Hopefully this will serve as a message for people struggling with life to come out and say I'm not ok instead of taking it out on the world. Rip Shane, hope you have finally found some peace.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Deepest sympathy Shane's family and extended family. Suggest the club held off, unlike the press, until all protocols involving police and family are met. The AFL too held off for quite some time so obviously a reason.

A great talent who showed he could play at AFL level. Always hard to heal the wounded soldier back to full health when under so much scrutiny.

Do it for Shane tonght fellas :thumbsu:

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Walter's touch after kicking his first was an awesome gesture.

Rest in peace big fella

DbTthZjU0AAsAku.jpg

Back