News Shane Yarran - Found Dead in Home - Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

Friend of myn at the Freo derby tells me Jon Griffin is wearing a black arm band for Yarran and made the same gesture Walters did after kicking a goal.
There's been a few indigenous players across the AFL wearing arm bands too, like the Port guys.

Vale.

Devastating for all who knew & cared for him. Hope everyone on here is doing alright.

Saw some decent tributes online:

Watching the different footy shows aired today - I'm a little disgusted by the lack of acknowledgement or mention of the issue. Very sad weekend indeed having lost a few mates to suicide - also having studied Mental Health counselling - it's devastating - nice to see the actual playing community recognized the loss. R.I.P Shane - I'm sorry you never got the help or empathy you needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More hounding by the gutter press . There is not a decent human being amongst the lot of them.
You got to be a special kind of low-life to try and make that your profession, for every decent reporter there are 9 cockroaches

Any news on the funeral?
Shane YARRAN

Funeral notice

YARRAN:
The Funeral Service for the late Shane Michael Yarran will be held at the Bridgeley Community Centre, 91 Wellington St, Northam at 1.00pm THURSDAY (03.05.2018) followed by a Burial at the NORTHAM Cemetery.
Family Owned 9622 1411

There's a bit a reference in John Townsend's story about Keifer Yu yesterday. I'll just quote the section:

Yarran’s motivation cannot be fully known but there is no doubt that his state of mind was profoundly affected by the constant sledging he received five days earlier while playing amateur football.

Yarran was referred to repeatedly as a “criminal”, a “wife-basher” and a “gutless thug” by his opponents in what would be his final game.

He told at least one confidant after the match that he did not know if he would play football again, given the abuse he was likely to endure. He was dead a few days later.

There's a bit a reference in John Townsend's story about Keifer Yu yesterday. I'll just quote the section:

Yarran’s motivation cannot be fully known but there is no doubt that his state of mind was profoundly affected by the constant sledging he received five days earlier while playing amateur football.

Yarran was referred to repeatedly as a “criminal”, a “wife-basher” and a “gutless thug” by his opponents in what would be his final game.

He told at least one confidant after the match that he did not know if he would play football again, given the abuse he was likely to endure. He was dead a few days later.

That's very sad if true. An illustration of why I reckon sledging of any kind that goes beyond what is happening directly on the ground and in the sport is just cowardly - even then I'm not always a fan of it. But hat's another story. In this case it just adds to the tragedy of the whole thing.

That level of sledging is going way too far and basically bullying. Horrible to read that. Sadly there are some real lowlifes running around in the Amo’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back