News Shanghai away?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/re...e/news-story/becb34c5c8a03ebc8c0b7236dc2dd52c

We've avoided selling away games with Tassie and New Zealand away... but with Port looking for teams with home games to spare this could work.

Face it - we need the money and $1m a year for the next few would help.

If the AFL can compensate us a game or two (Tassie away plus this as a home game) I'm not too far against it. It's not ideal but we need cash.

Thoughts?

The potential for future investment, exposure and marketing is too good an opportunity to pass up imo *if* it financially benefits the club.
I'll be interested this year just how much of a crowd they get in it's second year and how much of that crowd is supporting the suns.
China is a massive untapped market and if the Saints can support and sustain a presence over there forging new ground with Port then I'm all for it.
Might even help some of these young blokes get some life experience and open their eyes to the world.

The potential for future investment, exposure and marketing is too good an opportunity to pass up imo *if* it financially benefits the club.
I'll be interested this year just how much of a crowd they get in it's second year and how much of that crowd is supporting the suns.
China is a massive untapped market and if the Saints can support and sustain a presence over there forging new ground with Port then I'm all for it.
Might even help some of these young blokes get some life experience and open their eyes to the world.

Port Melbourne to Portsea is an untapped market.

Nick Riewoldt fronting the push with advertising already , would be complete waste of money like New Zealand.

StKilda have just shifted back to Moorabbin finally, think club needs to engage people that follow StKilda but
are not members and currently don’t spend $1 towards club bottom line in the state of Victoria.

Port Melbourne to Portsea is an untapped market.

Nick Riewoldt fronting the push with advertising already , would be complete waste of money like New Zealand.

StKilda have just shifted back to Moorabbin finally, think club needs to engage people that follow StKilda but
are not members and currently don’t spend $1 towards club bottom line in the state of Victoria.
The problem with that mate is we’ve been pushing that barrow for over 100 years and yet here we sit.
I understand what you are saying though - and agree it’s prudent to focus locally long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with that mate is we’ve been pushing that barrow for over 100 years and yet here we sit.
I understand what you are saying though - and agree it’s prudent to focus locally long term.

Unfortunately that’s the problem , we have not pushed it once, with the exception of Royal Brighton Yacht
Squadron......

For example we have currently the CEO of Seek on our Board dealing with thousands and thousands of
*Companies *daily for prospective job hunters and your telling me , none want to be advertised to millions
of TV exposure thru Fox.

Really honestly ?

Richmond was nearly broke, had the same amount of members as Stkilda a decade ago , they got admin
right targeted stronghold areas thru research and they pick up an extra 40,000 members and corporations.
It’s possible.....all about application which has not been strong suit of StKilda Admin.

Unfortunately that’s the problem , we have not pushed it once, with the exception of Royal Brighton Yacht
Squadron......

For example we have currently the CEO of Seek on our Board dealing with thousands and thousands of
*Companies *daily for prospective job hunters and your telling me , none want to be advertised to millions
of TV exposure thru Fox.

Really honestly ?

Richmond was nearly broke, had the same amount of members as Stkilda a decade ago , they got admin
right targeted stronghold areas thru research and they pick up an extra 40,000 members and corporations.
It’s possible.....all about application which has not been strong suit of StKilda Admin.
Our company advertises through Seek - we would gain nothing by advertising via Fox on tv as the target demographic is wrong.
I’ll admit the tigers change of board was needed and helped the club immensely but the extra 40k members are predominantly band wagoners after the GF win. How many did they have prior to playing finals last year? I’d like to know that to get a gauge...
In another decade if the success isn’t followed up by prolonged finals appearances the number will settle back to the mean figure.
We haven’t made finals in 8 odd years and are in track for 45 odd k. If we win the flag watch our numbers balloon to 80k.
The tried and tested membership fields have become fallow, time for some new fertile ground I say - If the opportunity presents of course.
I have no complaints with the current board except for the timing of AR’s extension. And even that may pay dividends yet.

Our company advertises through Seek - we would gain nothing by advertising via Fox on tv as the target demographic is wrong.
I’ll admit the tigers change of board was needed and helped the club immensely but the extra 40k members are predominantly band wagoners after the GF win. How many did they have prior to playing finals last year? I’d like to know that to get a gauge...
In another decade if the success isn’t followed up by prolonged finals appearances the number will settle back to the mean figure.
We haven’t made finals in 8 odd years and are in track for 45 odd k. If we win the flag watch our numbers balloon to 80k.
The tried and tested membership fields have become fallow, time for some new fertile ground I say - If the opportunity presents of course.
I have no complaints with the current board except for the timing of AR’s extension. And even that may pay dividends yet.

Just saying....

2006. Stkilda 32327. Richmond 29406
2007. Stkilda 30394. Richmond 30044
2008. StKilda 30063. Richmond 30820
2009. StKilda 31906. Richmond 36981
2010. Stkilda 39021. Richmond 35960

2014. Richmond. 66,122
2015. Richmond 70,809
2016. Richmond. 72278
2017 Richmond. 72669

2018. Over 90,000

Just saying....

2006. Stkilda 32327. Richmond 29406
2007. Stkilda 30394. Richmond 30044
2008. StKilda 30063. Richmond 30820
2009. StKilda 31906. Richmond 36981
2010. Stkilda 39021. Richmond 35960

2014. Richmond. 66,122
2015. Richmond 70,809
2016. Richmond. 72278
2017 Richmond. 72669

2018. Over 90,000
And people say we're a small club...

I think we have to take the China game if it's offered.We need to raise funds by multiple avenues.
This is quite a step forward and could have a flow on effect with revenue as it has for Port Adelaide.

I think we have to take the China game if it's offered.We need to raise funds by multiple avenues.
This is quite a step forward and could have a flow on effect with revenue as it has for Port Adelaide.

Our colours would be good in China and if we could get some of their companies drunk and pulling out sponsorship money it could be a massive boost for us. It's commercial exposure that never comes to small AFL clubs, it's an absolute no brainer.

We cleared $420k on our last game in Wellington.
If Port expects us to sacrifice a home game in Shanghai, I’d want to clear a guaranteed $1mill.
Upfront.
It’s their venture, that they’re not prepared to risk a home game over.
So if they want us, they bear the risk.
Then we shoot the cheque to Gill with a yellow post-it note attached.
With the writing: “Dear Gill, First down payment on that bad debt of $10mill. Love, Matt and Simon.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back