AFLW Player Shannon Campbell (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

adff94f94620c292190eb281e229b447.png

An ex All-Australian Youth Girls player, Campbell has an elite right kick and is also very good in the air above her head. A medium tall defender, Collins often does the kicking duties. This year, she has missed a lot of AFL as she's been in the United States completing a soccer program.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-05-22/three-more-resign

The Brisbane Lions have sewn up their backline with three players committing to the Lions for AFLW 2018.

Defenders Leah Kaslar, Shannon Campbell and Kate Lutkins have all re-signed with the Club.

A bold selection move by Coach Craig Starcevich saw Shannon Campbell discover her spot in the Lions’ inaugural AFL Women’s team from the other side of the world.

Campbell, who was on a soccer scholarship in America, joined the Club and quickly made an impact. She made history kicking the Lions’ first goal against Melbourne in Round one of the competition.

“Shannon is super competitive – she had a terrific first season. We couldn’t be happier that she has signed on,” said Brock.

Sensational Shannon: Lions defender earns BOG honours in losing GF

IN A competition first, stalwart Brisbane defender Shannon Campbell has been named best on ground in Sunday's Grand Final despite being a part of the losing side.

LIONS v DEMONS Full match coverage and stats

Campbell was immense down back, registering 562m gained from 19 disposals, taking eight marks, and winning nine intercepts.
She won with 12 of a possible 15 votes ahead of Eliza West (11) and Natalie Grider (three).

Part of Brisbane's inaugural side in 2017, Campbell walked to the stage exhausted apologising.

"Sorry if I don't talk very well, I've been over there just nearly vomiting," Campbell said.

Brisbane coach Craig Starcevich had nothing but praise for his tough defender post-game.

"She was amazing," Starcevich said.

"Just you know courage to read (and) intercept was fantastic, she was clean you know that little period there ... maybe the third quarter where she was picking them off around the arc and sending them back in. We looked dangerous while she was in that frame of mind.

"It'll be you know, cold comfort to her that she's done that in a losing team, but she can hold her head up like most of our players. They've all had some pretty good years so yeah, just tough that the season finishes on a day like this."

Meanwhile Melbourne captain Daisy Pearce, who spent much of the day battling it out with Campbell, sang the Lion's praises.

"She's a really good defender, she's hard to beat one-on-one ... just a bit of a brick wall and hard to penetrate and I certainly had a tough day against her.

"She had some incredible moments today as a defender. All credit to her she's an underrated sort of understated operator."

Final votes
12 - Shannon Campbell, Brisbane Lions - 3, 3, 2, 2, 2
11 - Eliza West, Melbourne - 3, 3, 2, 2, 1
3 - Natalie Grider, Brisbane Lions - 3
3 - Olivia Purcell, Melbourne - 1, 1, 1
1 - Cathy Svarc, Brisbane Lions - 1

'We let ourselves down': Lions desperate to bounce back

BRISBANE veteran Shannon Campbell has conceded the Lions may have taken St Kilda lightly in Saturday's shock loss, saying they let themselves down as a group.

The Saints were magnificent in securing their fifth win of the season, a 21-point triumph, in the process putting Brisbane into a must-win battle with Melbourne on Saturday night to secure a top-four spot.

Speaking on Tuesday morning, Campbell said it was an "opportunity missed" at the weekend.

"We may have gone into that, maybe, just not expecting St Kilda to bring as much as they did," she said.

"As a group, after the game, we spoke about how we let ourselves down.

"There's no pointing fingers … we just need to fix some things that weren't happening in the game.

"Something on the weekend didn't go our way, we gave away a few free kicks and then we weren't able to get back into the game from there."

Campbell said the Lions had addressed how they needed to change momentum during games that were going against them, including by upping their pressure and staying disciplined.

It was only two matches ago the Lions defeated previously unbeaten Adelaide, and with a victory against North Melbourne earlier in the season, Campbell says they're confident of playing their best against the competition's elite teams.

"We've had two good wins against North Melbourne and Adelaide," she said.

"It seems to be a driving factor. It shouldn't necessarily just be against those top teams, it should be the whole way through, but it always seems to be when we're playing teams like Adelaide and Melbourne that it brings out our best.

"We just need to find that again this week. I don't think we've seen our best footy this year, so hopefully this weekend we can turn it on."

Tough Lions defender looks for more time forward

ELEVEN months ago, inaugural Brisbane defender Shannon Campbell was named best on ground in the AFLW Grand Final, the first to win the medal in a losing side.

What was even more remarkable, however, was that she played through illness, ultimately unable to attend the post-match press conference typically expected of the winner.

"I was just feeling nauseous that day for some reason… the last five minutes of the game, I just felt really woozy," Campbell told AFL.com.au.

The game, played in 34-degree heat at the club's new home base of Brighton Homes Arena, was tough for the healthiest of players.

Campbell, advised post-game to head into the rooms to slow down and get cool, instead was determined to spend some time with the Brisbane fans who came out to support.

"Probably wasn't the best choice of things to do," Campbell admitted with a chuckle.

But it is her generous and relentless attitude that has made Campbell such a valuable Lion over the last seven years.

Always putting her body on the line with desperate defensive efforts and a willingness to move into various roles as needed has been a significant part of Brisbane's continued success.

"I've probably been lucky in a sense, that I haven't had serious injuries from the kamikaze style that I play," Campbell said.

"It's not something that I want to be known for, but I do throw my body around a fair bit … I do like to be courageous when I'm on the field and I like to step up in those moments where I have to put my body on the line, but there's been times where Craig (Starcevich) has told me to be careful, but at the end of the day, that's just the way I play."

Despite playing such a physical style, Campbell has played 71 of a possible 75 games since debuting in round one, 2017. That run has included 10 finals, one of just eight players to play double-digit finals.

"The Lions have been my childhood team growing up, so I've barracked for them ever since I was three or four," Campbell said.

"So being able to be an inaugural member of the team and being able to build a culture under Bree (Brock), and Craig and 'Greenie' (Matt Green), who's our strength and conditioning coach who's been here from the start, to build a culture where people want to be here to win.

"We're always striving to be at the last game of the year, it makes everyone work so much harder."

Part of that success this year has required Campbell to work in different areas of the ground, particularly pressing forward to hit the scoreboard, something not totally foreign to the defender who kicked Brisbane's first ever AFLW goal back in 2017.

"In the back of my mind I've always thought that one day I'd probably play as a forward, but I think Dad's always been on me as well about trying to play forward," Campbell laughed.

"Dad's always been one to back me and say that I should approach Craig to go forward a little bit… I reckon Craig probably came to me more so than the other way around, but I've definitely been on his back for a while.

"It'd be like, 'Craig, if there's ever a chance to put me forward’, and last year there were a couple of times where Craig did put me forward for a couple of minutes and I managed to hit the scoreboard, so I keep on telling him that."

Campbell quickly follows up with the suggestion that if Starcevich were to be asked, the positional shift was all her idea, one he simply complied with.

"It's always a bit of a laugh. He always gives me a bit of a side eye when it's me trying to question whether or not I can go forward."

Before joining the Lions, Campbell spent time playing college soccer in America where she was also a defender, reading play unfolding ahead of her.

"I've always been a defender with all the sports that I've played so I guess that's just where I ended up adopting my position. But it's very exciting playing in the forward line, and I think you play the game very differently.

"But I think being a defender first, it's helped me with the defensive side of being a forward."

Whichever end of the ground Campbell ends up playing in Saturday evening's Grand Final rematch, she will be a big factor in Brisbane's fortunes as it looks to get one back on the reigning premiers, and prime for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions back young duo against Roos' three-pronged attack

And although the trio are all veterans of the competition, Brisbane stalwart Shannon Campbell is confident her two inexperienced sidekicks are made of the right stuff to stand up on the biggest day of the season.

Boltz, from Cairns, was taken in last year's Supplementary Draft, while Dunne arrived in Australia less than four months ago after helping Dublin win the All-Ireland Gaelic football title in front of more than 45,000 fans at Croke Park.
"They've been growing each week," Campbell said.

"For Jen to come to a completely different country, play a new game, every week working on her craft and keep getting better is incredible.

"And Poppy is still pretty new to the game too. They've put in a lot of work to be where they are.

"We're pretty grateful to have those two in our team because they've added a little bit of extra height to us.

"We were averaging 173cm, which is quite short when you look at some of the tall forwards in our competition.

"To have those two is extremely valuable."

Dunne has had an excellent finals series, keeping tabs on dangerous Crow Caitlin Gould and countrywoman Aishling Moloney in the preliminary final triumph over Geelong.

Like Boltz, Dunne is extremely athletic, with the pair able to halve contests when seemingly at a disadvantage.

Campbell described North's forward line as "potent", but said after a season with her new teammates, she now had total confidence in them ahead of the decider.

"Our backline over the years has been pretty consistent," she said.

"Having two new members is pretty difficult to start with, but we knew we could back them.

"Jen picked up things so quickly and Poppy was going so well during the pre-season. They're both really good players and we'll back them this weekend."

Campbell is as reliable as anyone on the Lions' list and will run out for her 75th game in her fifth Grand Final, 12 months after being adjudged best on ground in last year's heartbreaking loss to Melbourne.

With Dakota Davidson injured for the final term against the Cats, it was Campbell who was swung forward to take a diving mark and kick the clutch game-winning goal with seven minutes remaining.

"Craig (Starcevich) instils a lot of knowledge in us and he allows us to play to our best, whether that's our normal position or another position we're thrown into, we know we can get the best out of ourselves," she said.

"Going forward has been fun, but whether I play forward or back, as long as I do my job, that's the main thing."

Foundation Lion, Young Gun Extend

240135_Shannon_Lily_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions AFLW premiership players Shannon Campbell and Lily Postlethwaite will remain at the Den until at least the end of the 2026 season.

Both players, who played key roles in the Lions 2023 premiership triumph, have inked two-year contract extensions as they prepare to help the Club experience more success.

Campbell, a key defender and foundation Lion, played her 75th game in last year’s Grand Final and is set to become one of the first players in AFLW history to reach 100 games.

WGFNMBr23MH045858153.jpg
Campbell, a member of Brisbane’s 2021 and 2023 premierships, was also adjudged best on ground in the 2022 Grand Final.

The experienced Lion praised the Club’s AFLW program led by senior coach Craig Starcevich and Head of Women’s Football Breanna Brock when asked about re-signing.

“We’ve had such a great couple of seasons and since year one this Club has been great to me and obviously quite successful,” Campbell said.

“It is a credit to Craig (Starcevich), Bree (Brock) and all the coaching staff who have helped to build such a great culture that makes us want to stay.

“We are all chomping at the bit to get going this season and we are really looking forward to what we can achieve.”

Starcevich said having Campbell and Postlethwaite put pen to paper was a testament to the playing group as whole to be in such a strong position culture wise.

“We as coaching staff try as hard as we can to create a good culture but at the end of the day it is down to the playing group and the leader,” the Lions coach said.

“They have done an incredible job in bringing this group together on the field and off it.

“For Shannon to be extending for seasons 9, 10 and 11 is credit to her professionalism.

“Lily is someone who has endured a lot of injury for somebody so young but for her to preserve and then see her future here at the Club is great for us.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back