Prediction Shannon Hurn - Our All Australian Premiership Captain (and 300 Gamer)

Will Hurn become our first 300 game player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I was having a look through the career stats for our players today, and I never realised that our captain is 6 games shy of 250 (although he won't reach it this year). Given Hurn's impressive durability (despite looking like a 50 year old his entire life) and the fact he's having a career best season at 30, could his magnificent calves carry him to the milestone?

Assuming his current output of games per season remains the same (23 per year), Hurn could reach 300 games by mid 2021, six-ish(?) months before his 34th birthday. If he retires at the end of 2020, he'll finish up on 313 games.

Is it possible? Well, I think it is, and I'm certain Here2tellyouwhy will guarantee it.

Last edited:
I have a strong feeling he will almost overnight just be too slow for the game. For him to get through another 3 preseasons and play almost 3 full years i very seriously doubt it.

I think for Hurn it will be mind before body.

Seems like the kind of bloke that will pull the pin the moment his heart isn't in it anymore.

I was having a look through the career stats for our players today, and I never realised that our captain is 6 games shy of 250 (although he won't reach it this year). Given Hurn's impressive durability (despite looking like a 50 year old his entire life) and the fact he's having a career best season at 30, could his magnificent calves carry him to the milestone?

Assuming his current output of games per season remains the same (23 per year), Hurn could reach 300 games by mid 2020, six-ish(?) months before his 33rd birthday. If he retires at the end of 2020, he'll finish up on 313 games.

Is it possible? Well, I think it is, and I'm certain Here2tellyouwhy will guarantee it.

I think you mean mid 2021.

Assuming his current output of games per season remains the same (23 per year), Hurn could reach 300 games by mid 2020, six-ish(?) months before his 33rd birthday. If he retires at the end of 2020, he'll finish up on 313 games.

Shannon has already started writing his AA captain speech, his WCE B&F speech and being such an arrogant campaigner, plans to just copy them for his 300th game speech

He's 31 ish and will need everything to go his way.

I would be confident if he continues his current form to next season.

Although he has never been reliant on athleticism to compete, the double edged sword of his body shape is that he only has to slow down a little further for him to be too slow for the top level and his elite kicking and reading of the play won't be able to make up for it.

Has probably not quite got the recognition he deserves competition wide as he brings a lot more to the table than just elite kicking. Good hands, reads the play brilliantly, can take a key position forward if required, and rarely has a bag kicked on him. Big chance to break his AA duck this year and although it's probably fair enough he hasn't got one to his name yet I do think he is unlucky not to have at least got in the 40 man squad a couple of times over the journey.

Would love to see an Eagles bloke run out for the big 300.

Last edited:
Although he has never been reliant on athleticism to compete, the double edged sword of his body shape is that he only has to slay down a little further for him to be too slow for the top level and his elite kicking and reading of the play won't be able to make up for it.

Has probably not quite got the recognition he deserves competition wide as he brings a lot more to the table than just elite kicking. Good hands, reads the play brilliantly, can take a key position forward if required, and rarely has a bag kicked on him. Big chance to break his AA duck this year and although it's probably fair enough he hasn't got one to his name yet I do think he is unlucky not to have at least got in the 40 man squad a couple of times over the journey.

Would love to see an Eagles bloke run out for the big 300.

Agree and people still reckon travel doesn’t have an effect ....ptfffff

Can't see it happening. Love Bunga and would LOVE to see him get to 300 games but eagles players fall off the cliff very rapidly due to the excessive travel.

I find it staggering that Goddard is being talked about in regards to him finding a third club at his age. Any West Coast player we've had at his age was on their absolute last legs and was being nursed toward the finish line.

I reckon Bunga has one more decent season in him but beyond that it is very doubtful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see it happening. Love Bunga and would LOVE to see him get to 300 games but eagles players fall off the cliff very rapidly due to the excessive travel.

I find it staggering that Goddard is being talked about in regards to him finding a third club at his age. Any West Coast player we've had at his age was on their absolute last legs and was being nursed toward the finish line.

I reckon Bunga has one more decent season in him but beyond that it is very doubtful.
It usually depends on injuries. The guys that reach 300 and beyond dont suffer many major injuries. Pavlich for example.

I think it will almost definitely happen. He’s getting better and better, and definitely doesn’t rely on his speed.

Good post . :thumbsu:

Sometimes the finer points and subtlety of what makes a great player great are lost on the masses, those players who play with high end sports IQ often play longer than those with athletic talent...... Example : Tom Brady.

Bunga never relied on speed to make him a great player.
He is a very good chance to make 300.

Good post . :thumbsu:

Sometimes the finer points and subtlety of what makes a great player great are lost on the masses, those players who play with high end sports IQ often play longer than those with athletic talent...... Example : Tom Brady.

I feel like he was fairly injury prone in the late 2000s but is a well oiled machine now. Been pretty impressed with him over the last couple of years now that he’s playing more of a defensive role rather than trying to be that rebound type.

Very unsexy footy but super reliable which is just what we needed after former rock Mackenzie did his ACL.

Also a great foil for our two KPD who are much more rebound focused

Can’t see why he won’t last another couple of years at least. There’s no indication of slowing down unlike the vast majority of our senior players over the years

The asain mathematical genius in me calculated it to be about the same odds as me winning sponsor of the year again.

The arrogant campaigner in me has started writing my acceptance speech.

Back