Shannon Motlop - Next Big Thing?????

Remove this Banner Ad

kymhodgemansmo

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2000
Having watched some of Motlop's in close work, and vision and ability to deliver by hand, is it possible he could be a polished midfield performer for us should he achieve necessary fitness.

He is only young, has played in a flag ahead of a number of respected players and is obviously held in high regard by the coaching staff.

The jury is out, but my opinion is he could be just about anything given some luck with injuries and a reasonable shot at it.

At time his disposal by foot is haphazard, but that can and should improve.

And perhaps having his brother here will ensure he settles and they knuckle down to the task.

So, what do we think - Anyone believe in Motlop magic?????????

I'm all up for some Shannon and Daniel Motlop magic. If they do anything resembling the Jim and Phil Krakouer magic, then I reckon all us Roo fans should be pretty happy with that.

Speaking of Motlop's foot skills, do you remember his first game for North? It was against the Hawks at Arctic Park and he dribbled through this goal from the pocket. Also, in the '99 Grand Final, he seemed to be pretty adept a sneaking away from his marker, so hopefully he'll be able to do these things on a more consistent basis. If Motlop (S) can get us about 30 goals next year, we should be pretty happy.

Agreed, but posessing wonderful footskills, as he does, and using them without looking and panicking, that is his biggest issue.

I would like to see him play in spurts in midfield and his uncanny ability, yes I was at Arctic Park that day but was it against St Kilda?, will prove invaluable considering fat Winston Abraham will be awful for us this year.

I'm pretty sure it was against the Hawks, but if it was St. Kilda, then I stand corrected.

AS for S.Motlop in the centre, it could work provided that the game plan changes from simply sending the long bomb into the general vicinity of Carey to a plan where you have two or three forwards leading into different directions. That way, you could maximise any creativity from Motlop's vision (that is, as you pointed out, he doesn't panic). But if we continue with the long bomb to Carey, then we may as well stick with Simpson and Clayton.

As for Winnie, and keeping in mind that the story was in the Hun, if he is as determined and content as he says, then we should expect a good year from him in 2001. Sure, his 2000 was poor (and he did have mitigating circumstances), but he had an excellent 1998, and a very good 1999. We just have to write off 2000 as one of those years (and yet, we finished 4th) and let the boys get on with the job.

I have a feeling you have me all wrong.

Tht vision, which in close is brilliant, is terrible when looking up forward.

On too many ocassions last year he bombed the ball into the forward line without even looking, straight to opposition defenders with no one in sight cos of Pagans friggin paddock.

That is why he is as ideally suited as Simpson and Clayton to the role as it stands.

Heaven forbid if either of them looked when they got the footy.

Motlop,
More than meets the eye.
Super-quick turn of pace, deceptively strong and great awareness.
But he is missing something above the shoulders.
Maybe its just a belief in his own ability?
It might come with time, it might not.
Good luck to him!

------------------
Cup_Half_Full

Originally posted by Shinboners:
Fair call on Motlop and his vision.

Here's a competition. Who can remember the last time that either Simpson or Clayton managed to nail a pass straight onto the chest of Carey.

Shinners, speaking of hitting Carey straight on the chest - wasn't Brett Allison the best at doing that??

So with all these blocks in the midfield... where does Dylan Smith play...
Ah the 2000 draft when we picked up Dylan Smith (11 games) and Daniel Motlop (47 games) when the following players were picked up by other teams in the draft:

- Shaun Burgoyne; 377 games dual premierships.
- Ashley McGrath; 214 games dual premierships.
- Daniel Kerr; as above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah the 2000 draft when we picked up Dylan Smith (11 games) and Daniel Motlop (47 games) when the following players were picked up by other teams in the draft:

- Daniel Kerr; as above.

Daniel Motlop was a good selection, he just ended up being a tool. Had he been a Victorian without go-home factor might've ended up having a credible 100+ game career at North.

Dylan was a misfire but I'm convinced had Pagan stayed on he could've carved out a decent career also. Was a smart player and produced some reasonable footy under Pagn.

But let's tell the full story - that draft also got us Harris, Petrie, Rocca, Corey Jones, Pratt, Harding. 6x 100 gamers.

Crazy to think our top 10 picks were outperformed by everyone else taken that year up to and including our 1st rookie pick (Harding) though.

It was a cracker. Our best draft ever.

I'm all up for some Shannon and Daniel Motlop magic. If they do anything resembling the Jim and Phil Krakouer magic, then I reckon all us Roo fans should be pretty happy with that.

Speaking of Motlop's foot skills, do you remember his first game for North? It was against the Hawks at Arctic Park and he dribbled through this goal from the pocket. Also, in the '99 Grand Final, he seemed to be pretty adept a sneaking away from his marker, so hopefully he'll be able to do these things on a more consistent basis. If Motlop (S) can get us about 30 goals next year, we should be pretty happy.

Had a look - he kicked 6

- Daniel Kerr; as above.
Selling Burgoyne short there. Has four premiership medals.

Daniel Motlop was a good selection, he just ended up being a tool. Had he been a Victorian without go-home factor might've ended up having a credible 100+ game career at North.

Dylan was a misfire but I'm convinced had Pagan stayed on he could've carved out a decent career also. Was a smart player and produced some reasonable footy under Pagn.

But let's tell the full story - that draft also got us Harris, Petrie, Rocca, Corey Jones, Pratt, Harding. 6x 100 gamers.

Crazy to think our top 10 picks were outperformed by everyone else taken that year up to and including our 1st rookie pick (Harding) though.

It was a cracker. Our best draft ever.
Look at Geelong's 1999 draft. Spriggs, Bray and Foster at 15, 17 & 23. Chapman, Ling and Enright at 31, 38 & 47.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back