Sharapova fails drug test

Remove this Banner Ad

The only person ultimately responsible for ensuring an athlete is not cheating is the athlete. End of story.

No amount of bellyaching from but-hurt Bombers fans will change this.

Except when your name is Samantha Riley, and you have a coach who takes the fall, because a ban would have meant she couldn't swim for gold at the next Olympics.

Doesn't the fact that athletes have been found to be using it since WADA started investigating it (1 in 50 have been found to be using it) indicate that maybe WADA are behind the Sports Scientists / Athletes by a long way. If Sharapova (and others) has been using it for ten years, to me that means that there is a benefit to be derived from using it, and WADA are only just catching on as has been well publicized before that the drug takers are always one step ahead of the drug testers

What if the benefit is medical, rather than for performance?

Here's the thing with performance-enhancing drugs.

Now, I take a tablet each morning for my blood pressure. Without it, I could risk a stroke or heart attack (high blood pressure runs in my family, and my father died of a heart attack).

What if some mad scientist in Russia is able to take the properties from such a tablet, and use it to create a performance-enhancing drug?

If I were a sportsman, my choices are (a) retire, even though I am living a normal life anyway, (b) take the risk, and hope I am not caught, or (c) keep playing sport, not take the prescribed tablet, and risk dropping dead while performing.

Now, I am not a sportsperson, so I am not worried. But WADA banned this suddenly, because someone figured out how to use this to gain an advantage.

This means that, one day, common cold medicine, or anything a doctor prescribes can be turned into a performance-enhancing drug.

I heard that Sharapova had been prescribed this drug for a medical condition, and had been on it for twenty years.

Yet, only now it is banned, and then WADA retrospectively ban Sharapova for not being a psychic and forseeing that the drug she takes every day is now banned.

Also, sending the e-mail at Christmas. People are busy at Christmas, and with all the e-cards and other e-mails one gets, it is easy to miss. WADA should have done more to alert her (but then, they wouldn't get the publicity for catching a big fish, would they?)

This will drive many men and women into abandoning their sporting dream, and retiring before their time, because they have to choose between their sport and their life.

WADA need to allow discretion, or the lines between medically-prescribed drugs and performance-enhancing drugs will become blurred.

Maybe the best thing to do is to ban all medications and drugs altogether, no matter what they are, whether prescribed or not. Because the sporting public don't care if diabetics, asthmatic or others don't play sport anymore, as long as sport is clean so that people can put on bets with certainty.

The aussie media keep reporting she has lost all her sponsors. From what I see Nike have only 'suspended' theirs. Unless I've missed something thats happened today?

Nike always pull sponsorship.

I think it is a bit rich for Nike to constantly pull out on sportspeople they endorse for moral reasons, when their shoes are made in sweat shops.

If you are a sportsperson, taking drugs is discouraged.

If you are a musician, taking drugs is encouraged and applauded, and no-one cares.

Quick question.

How would you like most drug cheats in sport punished?

-Public stoning
-Hanging
-The electric chair
-Lethal injection
-Flogging
-Hot bamboo under the fingernails
-The stocks
-Being dragged behind a horse
-Being tied up and forced to listen to Bob Dylan CDs on a loop.

Quick question.

How would you like most drug cheats in sport punished?

-Public stoning
-Hanging
-The electric chair
-Lethal injection
-Flogging
-Hot bamboo under the fingernails
-The stocks
-Being dragged behind a horse
-Being tied up and forced to listen to Bob Dylan CDs on a loop.

Option 11 - be locked in a room with Chompers, Basil, Hamish, Henri Leconte, Kochi, Karl Stefanovic, Peter Helliar and Rove!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back