Sharni Layton

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the AFLW becoming a retirement option for other professional sportspeople from other sports not seem somewhat disappointing?
Not for me. AFLW is more like Big Bash Cricket. It's worth $10,000 a year for a bit of a run around. You're probably walking into the top half dozen athletes on the squad and you're coming from a more professional environment.

It's going to be part of growing the competition. Showing the faces of known players in a new sport to turn the other player's heads to considering it.

The AFL should be paying big money to cross code players as marquee signings.

Not for me. AFLW is more like Big Bash Cricket. It's worth $10,000 a year for a bit of a run around. You're probably walking into the top half dozen athletes on the squad and you're coming from a more professional environment.

It's going to be part of growing the competition. Showing the faces of known players in a new sport to turn the other player's heads to considering it.

The AFL should be paying big money to cross code players as marquee signings.

I get your comparison; but at the same time we're not going to see Gary Ablett go and play in the BBL to earn some extra cash / because he always wanted to play cricket as a retirement plan.

It really does illustrate the lack of depth currently available to AFLW teams to me, hopefully in the next 3-5 years we see these cross code retirements phased out as the fitness and skill level of the young players coming through their teens now make it to the top level.

I get your comparison; but at the same time we're not going to see Gary Ablett go and play in the BBL to earn some extra cash / because he always wanted to play cricket as a retirement plan.

It really does illustrate the lack of depth currently available to AFLW teams to me, hopefully in the next 3-5 years we see these cross code retirements phased out as the fitness and skill level of the young players coming through their teens now make it to the top level.

I’ll be using code hoppers as a measure of the success/standard of the AFLW.
Right now you could legitimately never have played Aussie Rules and come in as a female and potentially be in the top couple of dozen or so players (could you imagine how dominant Liz Cambage would be rucking?).
When code hoppers have careers more comparable to Folau and Hunt then the AFLW will be in good playing shape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back