Retired Sharni Webb (2016-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

04c31452008c98fcfded4784631a35af.png

Sharni Webb has played the most of her career as a key position forward for the University of Queensland.Athletic, powerful and possessing a good vertical jump, Webb is a medium tall utility type player who can also play as a key defender, or in the ruck as an undersized ruckman.

Foundation Lion Calls Time on Proud Career

230278_Sharni_Webb_Retirement_Announcement_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions foundation player, Sharni Webb, has announced her retirement from AFLW football effective immediately, due to an achilles injury.

A stalwart of the Club, Webb played in the Lions first ever AFLW match in 2017 before going on to feature in the 2017 and 2018 grand finals.

Webb’s retirement, after 31 games with the club, comes two months after her Achillies injury ahead of the 2023 NAB AFLW Season.

Speaking to the playing group, the 32-year-old shared the challenges of being a professional footballer and being a mum to daughter Billie.

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to try and fight my way back and return to play, I’m going to officially retire through injury,” Webb said.

sharni-1.png

“It has been a challenging last three years since coming back from having Billie.

“I think every year I thought I wasn’t going to get the call from (coach) Craig (Starcevich) asking me to come back and play, so every year has been a blessing.”

Head of Women’s Football, Breeanna Brock said she was incredibly thankful for the time she was able to spend with Webb.

Brock praised Webb for not only helping the Lions grow as players, but also inspiring them by paving the way as a mother returning to play.

“It is really sad to see Sharni retire, but we have been very blessed to have someone of her calibre for the past seven seasons,” Brock said.

“I’ve personally known Sharni since she was 17, played alongside her and to get to be part of the journey that she’s been on, has been special.

“As a mum watching her come back to play after having Billie, I have such admiration for what she was able to do.

sharni-2.png

“It was tough but she really gritted her teeth and she really wanted to show the other girls that you could come back from pregnancy.

“As an inaugural member of the Lions she will always have a special place in the Club and we look forward to Billie hopefully being one of our first mother daughters.”

Webb became the first Lions player to return to the elite level after the birth of her daughter.

The Lions veteran has played in almost every position on the ground for the Lions, even making an appearance as an undersized ruck in 2017.

“I thought Billie might have been the end of my career, but I thought why not come back and try, it was tough,” she said.

“I think even though I didn’t have the comeback I envisioned, I’ve found a lot of value in other places on the field and developing the young girls, mentoring them and support them.

“This isn’t the end of my time with the Lions it is just the end of my playing career.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back