Remove this Banner Ad

lvandinter

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, McLaren F1, Man Utd
Really disappointed with this match, a poor 1st 3 quarters and left it too late. Hard week ahead.

Where to now? Who knows?

Let’s discuss it.

Nothing really to discuss until the trade / draft period has come and gone.

Until that time nothing has really changed - we'll get a few injured players back, a few old stalwarts will retire, we need quite a few players (both inside and outside the current best 22) to kick on and find something closer to their best footy after poorer seasons in 2019 will have a tough draw again and will need to be a lot better than we have been this year to make it into the top 4 in 2020.

Coaching staff need to be less conservative and more daring in their structures and game plan - can't have them persisting with whatever the hell it was we were doing for the first three quarters yesterday and then release the shackles and actually play half-decent footy in the last quarter when it's too late.

We've got a team entirely capable of playing dangerous chaos-style ball the way the Tigers do, but for some reason we're so focused on defensive structure and system that we look away entirely from something which should be a real strength. You've got to be willing to risk failure in order to ultimately succeed and the best sort of pressure you can place on an opposition is of the attacking kind that in turn disrupts their structures.

Really disappointed with this match, a poor 1st 3 quarters and left it too late. Hard week ahead.

Where to now? Who knows?

Let’s discuss it.

i'm sorry that you're disappointed. Yes it will be a hard week. I think the next few weeks will involve dislistings and the copeland and then the trading recruiting period. The players will have a break. Some of the details will be available from the club website

I hope Beams comes good.

If he doesn’t you think he might as well retire because his situation (whatever it is) is distracting the club , draining the cap and upsetting the balance of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We made a big mistake going for beams.

We’re in a bad way due to a combination of bad luck (Scharenberg, Freeman) and frivolous trading (Beams, Murray, Witts) in the early rounds. Also paid absolute top dollar for Treloar, overpaid for Mayne and was unsuccessful with Wells.

We also seem to lack a killer instinct; when you have players like Stephenson betting on AFL, Adams not following the plan set by the medical staff, Phil Inn doing a Dale Thomas with his rehab but actually in-season... premierships are hard to win and we have players who currently aren’t doing what is necessary or getting ahead of themselves.

We can be competitive with the likes of Quaynor and Murphy stepping up, maybe Sier getting back on track, and the medical staff regressing positively to the mean in terms of soft tissue injuries, but our drafting over the last 5-10 years has left us behind the stronger clubs in terms of talent coming through.

For mine the question becomes how do we improve. we have the list within reason there** so we improve with adding Langdon, Quaynor, a fit beams and De Goey. we need to ask ourselves some tough questions. I Love Elliott but it what cost. we held onto Fasolo to long so if we can get something back for Elliott it might be worth it, otherwise a lesser extent Josh Thomas. he is serviceable but will he take us to the next level.. i feel we are 1 genuine tall away. Last year we had no tall backline and lost to WC. this year our backline was great but then our forward line with Cox and reid out looked weak. so if this means trade the likes of Elliott / Thomas / Sier / Aish. yes all B and C graders without much market value but we can hopefully get cash.. maybe woo roughead out of retirement lol. ok that last bit was a joke.

maybe Lynch but his kinda already what we have. Ben brown comes out of contract next year. could be a good get.

We’re in a bad way due to a combination of bad luck (Scharenberg, Freeman) and frivolous trading (Beams, Murray, Witts) in the early rounds. Also paid absolute top dollar for Treloar, overpaid for Mayne and was unsuccessful with Wells.

We also seem to lack a killer instinct; when you have players like Stephenson betting on AFL, Adams not following the plan set by the medical staff, Phil Inn doing a Dale Thomas with his rehab but actually in-season... premierships are hard to win and we have players who currently aren’t doing what is necessary or getting ahead of themselves.

We can be competitive with the likes of Quaynor and Murphy stepping up, maybe Sier getting back on track, and the medical staff regressing positively to the mean in terms of soft tissue injuries, but our drafting over the last 5-10 years has left us behind the stronger clubs in terms of talent coming through.

Nailed it.

And for the love of god, can we please stop recruiting players who can't kick the ball 50+ metres!!!

Among the many differences that stood out yesterday, one was the Giants' superior kicking penetration. They have so many players who are a serious threat of scoring goals on the run from 55m or repeatedly lasering 35m passes.

Its not just the distance that they can kick, its the speed (penetration) with which the ball gets from the kicker to the receiver, which really helps with switching the ball quickly and hitting leading forward targets.

I accept that some players might not be able to kick 50+ metres towards the end of their careers but if you can't consistently do it at the start of your career and in your prime then you have no place on our list.

Our comparatively poor kicking skills are especially staggering given that we're coached by Buckley, who was one of the greatest kicks of a football in AFL history. He had it all - length, accuracy and penetration on both sides. Take a leaf out of Clarko's book - elite kicks only!

Last edited:

Mayne was absolutely instrumental in that comeback yesterday.

Thats the thing with f/a though - to get someone to cross the country you tend to overpay.

Bad luck yesterday fellas - one of the best finals comebacks you will ever see and i suspect its robbed us of an epic grand final for the ages.

Hopefully next year our two teams can do the rematch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And for the love of god, can we please stop recruiting players who can't kick the ball 50+ metres!!!

Among the many differences that stood out yesterday, one was the Giants' superior kicking penetration. They have so many players who are a serious threat of scoring goals on the run from 55m or repeatedly lasering 35m passes.

Its not just the distance that they can kick, its the speed (penetration) with which the ball gets from the kicker to the receiver, which really helps with switching the ball quickly and hitting leading forward targets.

I accept that some players might not be able to kick 50+ metres towards the end of their careers but if you can't consistently do it at the start of your career and in your prime then you have no place on our list.

Our comparatively poor kicking skills are especially staggering given that we're coached by Buckley, who was one of the greatest kicks of a football in AFL history. He had it all - length, accuracy and penetration. Take a leaf out of Clarko's book - elite kicks only!
Spot on.

Mayne was absolutely instrumental in that comeback yesterday.

Thats the thing with f/a though - to get someone to cross the country you tend to overpay.
I said he was overpaid, not that he was a complete spud. He can play a bit, just not commensurate with his salary.

Totally disagree. We have a quality list and will be in back in contention next season. In fact, I reckon we will win it.

Compare our tall fwd stocks to other contenders. Our tall fwd stocks are PATHETIC. Our best tall fwd is Mihocek, just let that sink in.

Cats - Hawkins/Ratugolea
Tigers - Lynch/Riewoldt
Giants - Cameron/Finlayson/Himmelberg
WC - Kennedy/Darling

It's definitely an area we need to address.

Our comparatively poor kicking skills are especially staggering given that we're coached by Buckley, who was one of the greatest kicks of a football in AFL history. He had it all - length, accuracy and penetration on both sides. Take a leaf out of Clarko's book - elite kicks only!
I commented on that during the game. I told my mate it reminded me of the primary school days when one or two kids could roost the pill forty metres down the ground and it took the average sized kids three kicks to get it back to where it came from. Noble, Phillips Mayne, Sidey, Wills, Moore and Cox would struggle to drill a goal from just outside the 50 metre arc. Mayne's shot that was touched on the line was from inside the arc. The Giants seem to have a number of thumping kicks. It's not a major concern but it can make a difference in a tight game. Tony Shaw couldn't kick more than 40 to 45 metres on a good day and he is a club legend. Did I just refute my own post?

Compare our tall fwd stocks to other contenders. Our tall fwd stocks are PATHETIC. Our best tall fwd is Mihocek, just let that sink in.
Don’t for get the American Pie

It's very rare for a team to win a premiership with the list we had either out or unavailable due to long term injuries-

Greenwood, Langdon, DeGoey, Cox, Beams, Wells, Quaynor, Sier, Dunn and then you add Aish and Reid just back into the side. It's a massive portion of the list that is not anywhere close to optimum at the time u need them. When was the last time a team with a dozen injured or underdone players won a flag? WCE, Dogs might have had notable players out, but they didn't have the same number of players. Richmond have one player out this year and had pretty much a full strength team in 2017. The Hawks threepeated with an astonishingly healthy team, nearly every season their best 22 was on the field in September. Swans seemingly had a team that didn't change all year, Cats were missing nobody and back to us in 2010 when we had very good older players missing out, such was the health and strength of the team.

As much as you don't want to use this excuse during the season because you lose hope, it's a reality. There is a tipping point and the amount of weight we put on Pendles, Grundy, Treloar, Sidebottom and Crisp becomes too heavy over the course of the season. Best we move Pendles out to a wing, Treloar and Sidebottom more half forward mid and have players like Sier, DeGoey and Beams pick up some of the heavy lifting. We can always move them around if it's not working. Alas, injuries meant we didn't have this option for most of the year.

Our 2020 season will be decided by how fit and well our players are over the next 6 months.

Mihocek is a very good player. If we are going to judge our list on a preliminary final loss which was centimetres away from being one of the most famous comebacks in final's history, then we will probably have to delist half the team. You have to look at the overall contribution of a player throughout the season.

Mihocek is a very good player. If we are going to judge our list on a preliminary final loss which was centimetres away from being one of the most famous comebacks in final's history, then we will probably have to delist half the team. You have to look at the overall contribution of a player throughout the season.
Mihocek is a good player but is a third tall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back