adrian25

Rookie
Dec 2, 2010
Eltham North
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing Australia HRT
A better best 22 would’ve great but we haven’t fielded close to our best 22 the last 2 years. If we had fielded our best 22 last year and this year, we’d be back to back Premiers.
Injuries happen unfortunately and it has cost us success. If only we had’ve had a great run with injuries as Richmond last year and just one star missing like Rance this year.
We are due for a good year regarding injuries.
If If If every team can say that

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This group is done. Time for some new players . 2020 might be a bit harder. Tougher draw. No real draft picks.

Nah, we have one more year to take a shot at it before a 2-3 year step back.

Main hole in our list is a key forward.

If we’d got lynch, we would have slaughtered the rest of the comp. but
It Richmond did and now they’ll be the best for a couple of years.

Anyway, we need a key forward and we can challenge.

lvandinter

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, McLaren F1, Man Utd
We were definitely better last year than this year, our highest goal kicker this year is 36, compared to 48 last year. And our games were way more high scoring last year, and a number of other things just worked out better for us. Say if we are in a close match, we put teams away in the last quarter. We have only done that a few times this year compared to most games last year. Plenty of work to be done in the off season.

Last edited:

lvandinter

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, McLaren F1, Man Utd
Being at the game, and its the first time l felt physically ill during a game. The first 3 quarters l could barely watch, and then to see the complete domination and fight in the last quarter, when l actually thought we were going to end up winning this game by a couple of goals, as the GWS players were running on the spot, left me angry and so disappointed l couldn't even talk to anyone, and still can't! I wont watch anything to do with footy this week, and will take my son to watch a movie gf day.
I was so angry because of the question "why couldn't we have played like that in the 3rd quarter or 2nd? it just left a shallow horrible, sickly feeling. The trip home last night from the G, was excruciating.
Where to from here, well.we already say bye to Sacka and Wellsy, l think Dunn, Varcoe and Reid may follow. We will have our normal delistings, those will be interesting reading in the next week or so, and we then may see the moving on off players, maybe a Elliott, Scharenberg, WHE, Thomas to name a few. Then the club needs to sort out the Grundy situation as a priority, and give him 5 years at least, or find out from him now his intentions, and are they to return home to SA in 2021 no matter what the club can offer him here, if so sort out a trade this year for the great man.
As for the list requirements pace, a key forward and crumbing forward.
True, I felt physically ill as well because of how tense the game was, couldn’t even eat dinner until after the match. We definitely need a key forward and anyone can tell that our forward line is lacking. Won’t be watching the GF this week as I can’t stand both teams, but want Richmond to win for revenge obviously. Watching NRL instead of footy for the next two weeks. Still really annoyed and disappointed with the result, going to take a week or two to get over it.

adrian25

Rookie
Dec 2, 2010
Eltham North
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing Australia HRT
Nah, we have one more year to take a shot at it before a 2-3 year step back.

Main hole in our list is a key forward.

If we’d got lynch, we would have slaughtered the rest of the comp. but
It Richmond did and now they’ll be the best for a couple of years.

Anyway, we need a key forward and we can challenge.
But we went and got Beams played 5 games as most. Wells half a game. Now we have pick 36 as we gave up 2 first round picks for him clap clap clap.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last few minutes hrs days on this site for me ladies and gents..

Off to Tuscany and the Seychelles.. then New York.. working over at JP Morgan.

Been a pleasurable albeit interesting 4 yrs on here.. but I'm done re.

Construction Engineer working at JP Morgan - are you building a new office for them?

Watch out for visa traps - speaking from personal experience it’s a time bomb ever since Trump was elected.

PM me if you want some advice.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Totally disagree. We're far from tactically brilliant. In fact, I think we lost yesterday due to allowing them to play a loose man in defence. It was wet, scrappy and thus always going to be a game of field position, yet for 3 quarters we allowed them to have extra numbers and easily clear the ball every time we kicked it forward.

Pendles probably won't have a better year next year, but he may have a better preliminary final and you'd expect Degoey, Stephenson and Moore to have better years than they had this year - there's significant improvement right there. Personel wise, I think we were one solid inside mid away from winning both last year's grand final and this year's prelim.

We're close and should still be in the running for the next couple of years at least.

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Yesterday we were tactically terrible but by and large for the last two seasons our game has been executed. I'd very much doubt you'd argue that - it's more so system that has got us close more than personnel, you've even agreed with me on this very point in the past.

I agree with you on Pendles, Sides, JDG, Moore and Stevo - what your argument doesn't take into account is the opposition around us............ in no universe could you possibly have us as equally talented as team AFL, wc, bris. As far as young stocks go the blose have us comfortably in that department as well.

IF we can play to potential more often than not, then we are slim shot at top 4 and then the footy gods would need to be in our corner - they were this year and yet we blew it by not bringing our brand against team Gil.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I don't think it's perplexing. It's as simple as our mids aren't as strong and aggressive as those of many other teams.

Adams, Sier and Rupe say Hi!

Ok I'd be inclined to say we're more one paced than lacking in coalface strength, even then the brand we should be playing largely negates that.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Yesterday we were tactically terrible but by and large for the last two seasons our game has been executed. I'd very much doubt you'd argue that - it's more so system that has got us close more than personnel, you've even agreed with me on this very point in the past.

I agree with you on Pendles, Sides, JDG, Moore and Stevo - what your argument doesn't take into account is the opposition around us............ in no universe could you possibly have us as equally talented as team AFL, wc, bris. As far as young stocks go the blose have us comfortably in that department as well.

IF we can play to potential more often than not, then we are slim shot at top 4 and then the footy gods would need to be in our corner - they were this year and yet we blew it by not bringing our brand against team Gil.

Age profile is instructive here with WC: ( age in 2020 season brackets):
Kennedy (33), Hurn (33),Schofield (31), Masten (31), Jetta (31), NN (30), Shuey (30).

Collingwood
Pendels (32), Howe (30), Beams (30).

There is no way based on the above I would say WC going fwd has a better list than us.

Lets see how BNE preform next year without Hodges' masterful on field leadership and harder draw.Over 30's next year; Rich, Martin, Zorko

Blues: Kruezer, Simpson, Murphy, E. Curnow, Casboult all over 30 next year. And I suspect they have repeated the sins of the past in appointing newbie coach.

Adams, Sier and Rupe say Hi!

Ok I'd be inclined to say we're more one paced than lacking in coalface strength, even then the brand we should be playing largely negates that.

I agree that we've got a reliable system that works, but so do about 6 other teams, thus it comes down to which players better execute the system. Thus I do think it often comes down to personnel.

Adams has it. Sier has the strength and power, but doesn't know how to use it yet - may be aggression, maybe just hasn't worked his game out yet and how to use his assets. Wills is a battler, slow and fumbly, but we had to play him and he did make us better - but that just shows the weakness we have in that area.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I agree that we've got a reliable system that works, but so do about 6 other teams, thus it comes down to which players better execute the system. Thus I do think it often comes down to personnel.

Adams has it. Sier has the strength and power, but doesn't know how to use it yet - may be aggression, maybe just hasn't worked his game out yet and how to use his assets. Wills is a battler, slow and fumbly, but we had to play him and he did make us better - but that just shows the weakness we have in that area.

Well then right now we don't have the personnel to execute as you put it, some other teams do. That doesn't overload me with confidence.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I'd love to see a doco with Bucks giving the players a spray.. ala Terry Walace.. lets see what everyone thinks of him then..

The irony of it all is this. It doesn't matter whether he does show the love or comes down on em like a tone of bricks.. 'THE RESULTS' are what matter the most. Not this cult like following of him. 8 yrs without anything to show for it. Poorly coached finals games. Ugly football for the most part of 8 yrs.

2020 premiership or give someone else a crack.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
But we went and got Beams played 5 games as most. Wells half a game. Now we have pick 36 as we gave up 2 first round picks for him clap clap clap.

Yes. hindsight is a great thing. It was with the risk. Beams (or Wells) plays against GWS and we win.

Wells plays GF last year and we win.

Worth the risk.

Beams plays next year and hopefully he's fit. We have one more year I'd say, and then we're in trouble.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Age profile is instructive here with WC: ( age in 2020 season brackets):
Kennedy (33), Hurn (33),Schofield (31), Masten (31), Jetta (31), NN (30), Shuey (30).

Collingwood
Pendels (32), Howe (30), Beams (30).

There is no way based on the above I would say WC going fwd has a better list than us.

Lets see how BNE preform next year without Hodges' masterful on field leadership and harder draw.Over 30's next year; Rich, Martin, Zorko

Blues: Kruezer, Simpson, Murphy, E. Curnow, Casboult all over 30 next year. And I suspect they have repeated the sins of the past in appointing newbie coach.

Off the top of my head, and haven't checked but these guys aren't 30 yet.

WC: Redden, Ryan, Rioli, Petruccelle, Cripps, Waterman, Allen, Cameron

Bris: Rayner, McCluggage, Hipwood, Neale, Andrews, Berry, Martin, Lyon

Blose: Cripps, Silvagni, Dow, Walsh, SPK, Docherty, Jones, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering

Tell me we're matching those three teams with talent under 30

Eddie Van Halen

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
HNS, Melbourne Knights, Rijeka
I'd love to see a doco with Bucks giving the players a spray.. ala Terry Walace.. lets see what everyone thinks of him then..

The irony of it all is this. It doesn't matter whether he does show the love or comes down on em like a tone of bricks.. 'THE RESULTS' are what matter the most. Not this cult like following of him. 8 yrs without anything to show for it. Poorly coached finals games. Ugly football for the most part of 8 yrs.

2020 premiership or give someone else a crack.

Agreed.
I love Bucks and more than anything I want him to walk away from Collingwood with at least 2 premierships as a coach. But if we don't go all the way next year, then it's time for someone else.
Also, I don't know how long Robert Harvey has left, but he needs to be the first one gone.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Off the top of my head, and haven't checked but these guys aren't 30 yet.

WC: Redden, Ryan, Rioli, Petruccelle, Cripps, Waterman, Allen, Cameron

Bris: Rayner, McCluggage, Hipwood, Neale, Andrews, Berry, Martin, Lyon

Blose: Cripps, Silvagni, Dow, Walsh, SPK, Docherty, Jones, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering

Tell me we're matching those three teams with talent under 30

Stefan Martin will be over 30 in 2020 as I previously indicated

COll. Moore, JDG, Stevo, Adams, Treloar, Grundy, Maynard, Crisp, Langdon, Roughead, Elliot ( both same age as Cripps WC), Sidebottom ( is younger than Redden)

Silvangi, Jones and Plowman Marchbank, Waterman are average.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Agreed.
I love Bucks and more than anything I want him to walk away from Collingwood with at least 2 premierships as a coach. But if we don't go all the way next year, then it's time for someone else.
Also, I don't know how long Robert Harvey has left, but he needs to be the first one gone.

Make no mistakes about it.. it was a woeful performance.. not from the players.. they refused to change it up in the box for 3 qrts.. we can yap on about de goey being out.. AA grade talent.. they had 3 AA grade talented players out.. Coniglio Whitfield and Greene.. we got mauled by a makeshift midfielder Williams. Why.. cause we had no clue what we were doing out there.. not because the players are s**t. 50-60 minutes without a goal.. Mihocek without a posi until the last.. cause he's s**t?

This is all Buckley.. it has been for a lot of games this yr.. not only this 1. Freo game with basically a full side at the G.. absolutely atrocious again on the day. Clueless.

For all of those who have placed me in the bad boy pidgeon hole over the yrs for disliking Buckley.. I suggest you grow up!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Stefan Martin will be over 30 in 2020 as I previously indicated

COll. Moore, JDG, Stevo, Adams, Treloar, Grundy, Maynard, Crisp, Langdon, Roughead, Elliot ( both same age as Cripps WC), Sidebottom ( same age as Liam Jones)

Silvangi, Jones and Plowman Marchbank, Waterman are average.

If you were on the other side of the fence you'd rate all of those blose players and Waterman better than Maynard, Crisp and Langdon. Those 3 we rate at Collingwood because they play our system well - not because they're better.

I still maintain our ideal game got us to where we are - not personnel, in any universe no one could argue we have a better list than those three teams but one could argue our list is not as good if you look at it from a pure talent perspective.

If you think we'll go better next year then I'd argue you're very optimistic. Hats off to you.

Back