Shaun Atley trade value

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is simply not as good a footballer as Bontempelli or Macrae. Both being in our best midfield. No stats quoting will change that
lol who compared him to them?

You'd rather Mclean with his 3 clearances a game to cCnningtons 7 (again, 3rd in the league) and Mcleans 8 contested possessions to Cunningtons 14.

That makes so much sense as an inside midfielder. You should coach.

Last edited:
lol who compared him to them?

You'd rather Mclean with his 3 clearances a game to cCnningtons 7 (again, 3rd in the league) and Mcleans 8 contested possessions to Cunningtons 14.

That makes so much sense as an inside midfielder. You should coach.

You are getting irrationally mad. I did say Cunnington would be battling it out with him, not that I’d rather him. But maybe a coach would prefer someone like McLean who is much better by foot and in space to be that third string mid, especially given the two best midfielders at the club are more than adept at winning their own ball. Maybe some weeks a more inside player like Cunnington would be preferred.

The point is Cunnington wouldn’t attract much value from us in a trade. Beveridge loves versatile players and Cunnington doesn’t fit that mould

You are getting irrationally mad. I did say Cunnington would be battling it out with him, not that I’d rather him. But maybe a coach would prefer someone like McLean who is much better by foot and in space to be that third string mid, especially given the two best midfielders at the club are more than adept at winning their own ball. Maybe some weeks a more inside player like Cunnington would be preferred.

The point is Cunnington wouldn’t attract much value from us in a trade. Beveridge loves versatile players and Cunnington doesn’t fit that mould
Think you've changed your point a number of times.... None of them were valid either.

Last edited:

Think you've changed your point a number of times.... None of them were valid either.

Maybe save your energy for further whining in the other thread because everyone voted Kelly over Bont.

If you want to get into a personal shitfight just pm me. Or stick to the north board where the only ones who criticise Cunnington are the realists.

You wouldn't find a coach that would prefer Mclean. Aside from the diving and flopping stuff that the coaches would cringe at. He is no where near as good.

Disposals: McLean 22 Cunners 26
DE: McLean 71% Cunners 70%
Tackles: McLean 4.5 Cunners 4.9
Clerance: McLean 3 Cunners 7
Stoppages: McLean 2.4 Cunners 3.9
Centre Clerance: Mc Lean 0.7 Cunners 3.1
Contested Possies: McLean 8.8 Cunners 14.7

You couldn't possibly pick McLean to get the exrta 1% DE. You missing finals again if you rate 16th in clearances. Mclean is no real help in this area.

You ranked 16th in clearances in 2017 but don't need clearance midfielders. Not what I'd call realistic.

With the same midfielders we ranked 3rd in 2016. 2017 was more about form, much less not having the cattle.

You wouldn't find a coach that would prefer Mclean. Aside from the diving and flopping stuff that the coaches would cringe at. He is no where near as good.

Disposals: McLean 22 Cunners 26
DE: McLean 71% Cunners 70%
Tackles: McLean 4.5 Cunners 4.9
Clerance: McLean 3 Cunners 7
Stoppages: McLean 2.4 Cunners 3.9
Centre Clerance: Mc Lean 0.7 Cunners 3.1
Contested Possies: McLean 8.8 Cunners 14.7

You couldn't possibly pick McLean to get the exrta 1% DE. You missing finals again if you rate 16th in clearances. Mclean is no real help in this area.

See above

Mate, it has nothing to do with the club.

Atley has played in four finals series including two prelims. Cheap and tacky trying to pot north here.

As little as six months ago we could have said the same thing about every Tigers player for the past thirty years.
Not at all.
Every club has players like these.

Numbers numbers numbers. Don’t crack the shits and get personal if you don’t like an opinion on your player.

Cunnington is slow, doesn’t have much of an impact outside of the contest and has questionable kicking ability.

Despite his high disposal numbers he had 8 goal assists, kicked 10 goals himself but wasn’t in the top 100 players in the league for inside 50s or score involvements.

The game has gone beyond simple one trick inside mids. Cunnington isn’t this high value player you think he is. For example he’d be battling it out with Liberatore or McLean to be the Bulldogs’ third banana in the midfield. He wouldn’t start in the midfields of Geelong, gws, Richmond, Sydney etc. Where does he play if not inside mid?

You're kind of leaving out he's an elite mark for a midfielder.

Not exactly a one trick pony. Always has been super strong above his head, even back to juniors where he kicked 7 or 8 for the Falcons one day.

I think you'll see him get forward more this year.

Might not get a lot on the spread but 25+ disposals a game (mostly contested) and 3rd in the league in clearances ensures he'd be the starting center square mid in pretty much every team.

GAJ and Danger were the only guys ahead of him last year.

He was ahead of Neale, Cripps, Oliver, JP Kennedy, Ward, Parker, T.Mitchell in that regard.

Last edited:
If Atley could make good decisions when disposing the ball, he'd win a Brownlow. He breaks lines, he can finish, and gets his hands on it enough to have a real impact.
Exhibit A: Dillusional North Melbourne fan.

Too bad he kicks it on the tit of an opposition player 80% of the time.

Clearly I was using hyperbole. My point was that he has many attributes to potentially be a very good footballer, but lacking good decision making is all that it takes to turn him into a C grader.

Heppell is elite at not being elite at anything.

Given Essendon is crying out for an elite contested ball winner, it's amazing the amount of flack he avoids in this regard.

He is one of the least damaging 25+ disposal winners in the game, pretty much every stat backs it up.

35 touches, 13 marks, 9 inside 50s and almost certainly 3 Brownlow votes.

And he'll just keep racking them up while you try desperately to NOT admit how wrong you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35 touches, 13 marks, 9 inside 50s and almost certainly 3 Brownlow votes.

And he'll just keep racking them up while you try desperately to NOT admit how wrong you are.

Atley might have his limitations but he does actually play on an opponent.

McLean is in big trouble now the umpires aren't get sucked in with his arm lifting. There is no way he gets a game before Cunners.

No use being versatile if your no good. You had a lot of versatile terrible footballers today.

Last year? Where Cunners came 2nd in our B&F and McLean didn’t even make your top 10?

Last year when Cunners got more coaches votes & more Brownlow votes?

What did I miss?

I meant your judgment of mclean’s Ducking. Largely took that out of his game, and was great.

No surprises that in a thread about Shaun Atley, North supporters just have to deflect on to Essendon and more specifically Heppell.

Does that bloke who mouthed "Shaun Atley" three times at Adrian Dodoro still post here?

There is something horriblely wrong with Dyson. Courage under fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back