Toast Shaun Burgoyne 200 games...and more to come in 2020!

Falco131415

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cant believe a thread hasn't been started yet about the great man.
Playing his 200th game for our footy club.
First indigenous player to do so. 3 premierships (so far) to date.
So many terrific memories of him playing. Quite a few against us when he played for Port Adelaide.
Let's not forget that as well, he played some mighty games for them too in his 157 games there.
You can't go past his performance in the 2013 Prelim. Final against the Cats though as his Magnum Opus for us though.
That was history defining to our great club, that final quarter.
Feel free to share all your memories of a player which Silk does describe him, but also the word Beautiful player rolls easily off the tongue.
Good luck for the final series this year & hopefully next year too Shaun.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
It's been a pleasure seeing him line up in the centre square and thinking "Oh, so we've decided to win this clearance".

I'm not sure anyone would have predicted he would be around this long. If he had been a regular on-baller for us I have no doubt he would have been seen as one of the best players in the comp. Hard as anything but with immaculate skill and decision making.

We sold the farm for a cripple with one functioning knee. And I'm very happy we got to do it a second time :D.

Sep 22, 2008
Noosa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I really believe he'll be considered a Hawthorn player at the end of his career, particularly with the success he's had with us over the past 10 years. He was amazing at Port but team success with the Hawks will always trump the few accolades he had with them.
And then to think he'll almost be in the top 20 games played for our great club after next season...

May 24, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has saved us in so many games. Has helped delivered premierships. Has been a stand out player in what was a team full of stars. Can always count on him in big moments, when the pressure is on so is Burgoyne. Absolute legend, one of the games greats

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really believe he'll be considered a Hawthorn player at the end of his career, particularly with the success he's had with us over the past 10 years. He was amazing at Port but team success with the Hawks will always trump the few accolades he had with them.
And then to think he'll almost be in the top 20 games played for our great club after next season...
Hes already a hawthorn player mate.

He played in 4 grand finals for us for 3 flags, and will likely retire with 220 games for us vs 150 games for them.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt you'd find many who expected him to play 100 games for us, let alone 200!
What an absolute champion of the game he is and what a masterstroke it was getting him to the club. Have loved watching him play and boy has he provided us with some memories that we'll never forget. Hoping he can add some more in the coming weeks!

Last edited:

DEECEE

Premium Platinum
Aug 27, 2007
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone save the "break glass" burgers pic? Sums it up quite well.
So many times he has pulled us out of the fire and turned things around with one of his magic plays.
590c863f26a47105740e4e1ddfa9dc24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cant believe a thread hasn't been stated yet about the great man.
Playing his 200th game for our footy club.
First indigenous player to do so. 3 premierships (so far) to date.
So many terrific memories of him playing. Quite a few against us when he played for Port Adelaide.
Let's not forget that as well, he played some mighty games for them too in his 157 games there.
You can't go past his performance in the 2013 Prelim. Final against the Cats though as his Magnum Opus for us though.
That was history defining to our great club, that final quarter.
Feel free to share all your memories of a player which Silk does describe him, but also the word Beautiful player rolls easily off the tongue.
Good luck for the final series this year & hopefully next year too Shaun.

Great post. He’s also helped us get the most out of many with his leadership behind the scenes. Cyril, for one, said his leadership around the club and advice to him personally was invaluable in his time with us.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Legend. Imagine how excited he would be this morning going into another final. Hopefully during the day he will be on the phone to Worps, Dimma, Burton, Sis’s, Morrison, JOM and co telling them that it’s not just a normal game. Embrace it, this is what it’s all about and just focus on playing your role and when it’s your turn to go you go! Simple.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only player in the history of the game to play 150 games at 2 different clubs.

Marcus Ashcroft played 150+ for the Bears and also the Lions, but I think we can call that the same club.

Good chance Buddy will play 150+ for both Haw and Syd. Played 183 games for us, and so far 107 for the Swine

Back