Toast Shaun Burgoyne 200 games...and more to come in 2020!

Remove this Banner Ad

The greatest AFL recruit from another club ever, better than Bud, Lockett, Williams etc and add to that the greatest Indigenous player of all time.

Yep, I would have put Russell Greene in that frame, absolutely wonderful for us in the 1980's.

But I think Shaun has Russell covered now.

The biggest 'winner' I've seen play the game. Some players get big stats, individual awards, seek the limelight etc.

At his Port Adelaide best Burgoyne was a top 3 player in the competition (with Goodes and Judd). He improved at Hawthorn. The only difference is that we chose to get 200 games out of him, rather than 80, so he was never used for 4 quarters, week after week in his best role. We used him sparingly, when needed, to win games. As a result, he will finish his career without the Brownlows, the stack of media awards and pointless All Australian spots that inferior midfielders/players have accumulated. But he will finish with at least 4 premiership medals and his role in all of those was huge.

Shaun Burgoyne wins big games for his team like no player I've ever seen. In a team sport (which gets forgotten in the constant focus on individual achievements), there is no greater trait. 200 of the very best in the brown and gold.

Can't wait to see the legend back on the finals stage again tonight.

Last edited:

As bad as he's played.

Must respond, and will, Friday night.

I found it great that no matter the poor game he had, he still influenced the contest in more ways than a lot of others.

Again - can do better, will do better. Can't wait to see how he backs it up.

Burgoyne to be BOG ordinary tonight

EFA. Sadly Dusty got to enjoy the 200th accolades more. BUT....

I am confident Shaun will come out breathing fire and make amends this Friday (in his 35th finals match).
After all, he's still got Tucky's finals record (39) in his sights. Getting to the granny will leave him a couple short but hopefully he can knock them off next year! :p

I make it 370 now, 3 off being the greatest indigenous player ever.

And maybe by season end, 7th on all time games played, and probably a few other
Yes & one of the few reasons that even though it will be at Marvel, that all Hawk fans should get to the North game to see the indigenous games record be reset.
like his name Silk implies has been one of my favorite players to watch, even at his Port days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly think the decision to retire would before 400 would be his and his alone. There'd be other clubs that would have him on for a season or two even if we don't want him.

I would like to think that they don’t look at the number next his name when assessing whether or not to extend his contract. Clearly he hasn’t aged like a typical player so i see no reason to assess him based on his DOB. I genuinely don’t care if he’s 44 so long as he can still perform at his present level he should be on the list.

I would like to think that they don’t look at the number next his name when assessing whether or not to extend his contract. Clearly he hasn’t aged like a typical player so i see no reason to assess him based on his DOB. I genuinely don’t care if he’s 44 so long as he can still perform at his present level he should be on the list.

I agree. He's not robbing anyone of development because he does everything, so there's no need to stamp his papers as though he is. If a player takes one of his many roles he can move on to another that we're thin in.

Shaun still lays the most brutal tackles, often on players bigger than himself.
At the same time keeping himself balanced.

He's such an extraordinary player.

Burgoyne has just ticked over nine years since he debuted for the Hawks. He made his debut for Hawthorn in round 8, 2010 against Richmond (a game the Hawks won by three points - 13.11.89 to 13.8.86). Burgoyne was 27 years and 207 days old that afternoon. Clarkson was in his fifth season as coach and was 42 years and 19 days old on the day, with a record of 59 wins and 64 losses from 123 games coached (including the 2008 premiership).

From the Hawthorn side that played that game, only Grant Birchall, Lance Franklin (Sydney), Luke Hodge (Brisbane), Jordan Lewis (Melbourne), Jarryd Roughead, Ben Stratton and Matt Suckling (Western Bulldogs) are still currently playing football. From the Richmond side Hawthorn defeated, only Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio (GWS Giants), Shane Edwards, Dustin Martin, Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt are still currently playing football. Damien Hardwick was in his first season as Richmond coach and this was his eighth straight loss.

As of Hawthorn's last game played against Fremantle on Saturday, Burgoyne is 36 years and 265 days old. He is the second oldest player in Hawthorn history to play a game for the club, having overtaken Jim Jackson earlier this season (Jim Jackson was 36 years and 108 days old when he played the last of his 22 games for Hawthorn in 1926).

Only Michael Tuck has been older when playing a game for Hawthorn. In the 1991 Grand Final, Tuck was 38 years and 96 days old.

Burgoyne won his 150th game as a Hawk against Fremantle. From 213 games played, Burgoyne's record is 150 wins, 2 draws and 61 losses.

Burgoyne will likely go close to being watched live by almost 14 million spectators during his career, as he sits on 13,859,487 spectators after Hawthorn's match against Fremantle.

List of Hawthorn players with 150 or more wins:

PlayerGames playedWinsWin percentage
Michael Tuck^42630270.9%
Leigh Matthews33222066.3%
Chris Langford30320567.7%
Kelvin Moore30020167.0%
Gary Ayres26919672.9%
Sam Mitchell30718961.6%
Don Scott30218761.9%
Luke Hodge30518059.0%
Jason Dunstall26917765.8%
Peter Knights26417666.7%
Jarryd Roughead*28217562.1%
Robert Dipierdomenico24017070.8%
Jordan Lewis26416964.0%
Grant Birchall*24616767.9%
Chris Mew23016672.2%
John Platten25816564.0%
John Kennedy Jr24116568.5%
Shane Crawford30515450.5%
Rodney Eade22915266.4%
Shaun Burgoyne*21315070.4%

^ Denotes VFL/AFL record for most wins by a single player

* Denotes a currently listed Hawthorn player

Of currently listed Hawthorn players, behind Burgoyne sit:

* Luke Breust - 142 wins
* Liam Shiels - 136 wins
* Isaac Smith - 136 wins
* Paul Puopolo - 130 wins
* Ben Stratton - 124 wins
* Jack Gunston - 118 wins
* Ben McEvoy - 65 wins
* James Frawley - 50 wins
* Jonathon Ceglar - 50 wins
* James Sicily - 42 wins
* Daniel Howe - 36 wins
* Tim O'Brien - 35 wins
* Blake Hardwick - 33 wins
* Ricky Henderson - 27 wins
* Kaiden Brand - 25 wins
* Jaeger O'Meara - 22 wins
* Jarman Impey - 22 wins
* Harry Morrison - 17 wins
* James Worpel - 15 wins
* James Cousins - 8 wins
* Conor Glass - 8 wins
* Conor Nash - 7 wins
* Tom Scully - 6 wins
* David Mirra - 5 wins
* Jack Scrimshaw - 5 wins
* Marc Pittonet - 5 wins
* Mitch Lewis - 4 wins
* Chad Wingard - 4 wins
* Dylan Moore - 2 wins
* Oliver Hanrahan - 2 wins

We Must keep Burgoyne for as long as possible, at the start of the year i was all for retiring most of the older guys. My mind has changed with the continued success of hodge at Brisbane which i feel was a mistake. I see some of our younger players development has slowed with alot of on field leaders lost recently.
It's vital we keep Shauny he is a great teacher and role model for the younger boys and no better player to have when the game is on the line. If his body can hold up with the soft tissue injurys. We should be looking to play him 15 games a yr keeping his body fresh and limiting the interstate travel, play him in the fwd or back pocket to prolong his career.
It would be great to keep him untill Wingard has fully emerged and Impey continues to grow as a leader.
I'm hoping he can also help with Morrison who confidence has been completely shot this year he could use some silk guidance.
We Keep burgoyne if we have to move on others over 30 so be it, he is a vital influence.

Burgoyne ties Craig Bradley for seventh most games played in the VFL/AFL against the Suns on Sunday afternoon, with 375 games for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn combined.

Among Hawthorn players only, he's 24th on the list for most VFL/AFL games played, as he'll suit up for his 218th game as a Hawk in Roughead's swansong on Sunday. Assuming he goes on for at least one more year, he should give 400 games a crack (barring injury) and should go close to finishing among the top 20 for most games played for Hawthorn (ahead of Burgoyne are Mark Graham - 223 games, Al Martello - 223 games, Michael Moncrieff - 224 games, Rodney Eade - 229 games, Chris Mew - 230 games, and Graham Arthur - 232 games).

Burgoyne currently sits second on the ladder for most finals played by a single player in the VFL/AFL, with 35 finals for Port Adelaide and Hawthorn. He trails only Michael Tuck, who played 39 finals among his 426 games for Hawthorn. Probably the only currently listed player who could challenge Burgoyne for top two for most finals played is Joel Selwood, who has 27 finals under his belt and Geelong is a good chance this season to go deep into September (Selwood has played one less final than Sydney's Jarrad McVeigh, but McVeigh earlier this season announced his retirement and the Swans will not be playing finals this season).

To give greater context to Burgoyne's longevity, the only currently listed players to have played 20+ finals in their career are as follows:

PlayerTotal gamesFinalsGoals in finals
Shaun Burgoyne3743522
Jarrad McVeigh324289
Joel Selwood2902714
Jordan Lewis3172611
Lance Franklin2992469
Harry Taylor256246
Luke Hodge3422319
Heath Shaw302232
Grant Birchall248231
Kieran Jack2542216
Josh P. Kennedy2442214