Shaun Burgoyne - is he remembered as a Power or Hawk?

How is Shaun Burgoyne remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shaun had a great career spanning two clubs but how is he remembered by the football public?
Power or a Hawk?

Are people not capable of remembering a player played for 2 clubs?
Precisely.
He achieved the ultimate success of a premiership at both clubs - no need to pick one or the other.
I'll never forget what he achieved with us, while I also fondly remember him playing alongside his brother at Port and just how good he was.

His best footy at the Power was close to the level of footy seen from Judd at the Eagles. I still remember the centre bounce duo of Lade/Burgoyne, was almost as dynamic as the duo of Cox/Judd.

That Lade Burgoyne period was something special.

FTR I remember him as a hawk

FTR I fully supported him walking out of our club which was a shambles. If players walk, it forces clubs to change and become better employers.

FTR I wish he stayed as losing a great always hurts

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is it with these either / or qs? How about both / and?

That Lade Burgoyne period was something special.

FTR I remember him as a hawk

FTR I fully supported him walking out of our club which was a shambles. If players walk, it forces clubs to change and become better employers.

FTR I wish he stayed as losing a great always hurts
I was trying to take my bias out of it, at the time before his move he was my favourite opposition player. But silk just had so many iconic moments as a Hawk which makes it hard to not automatically remember him as one.

Easily Hawthorn. Whilst he was a better player at Port, he played in a hyped Victorian team that won 3 flags, having longevity and his approachable indigenousness fell nicely into a Vic media narrative and even had a widely used slightly cringey nickname. As I said, Hawthorn easily.
How come Chris Judd is remembered as an Eagle then?
He should be remembered as a Blue because of Vic centric narratives.

0446b720226324d2860759662ab3eb73

I will always remember Shaun Burgoyne as the gun from South Australia who played 150 games for Port Adelaide from 2002-2009 and then came across to Victoria to play 250 games over 12 seasons for Hawthorn and played a starring role in a variety of positions. Maybe not the dynamic All Australian attacking midfielder he was from 2006-07, but an incredibly versatile footballer with superb skills, poise, and great defence.

As a Hawks fan, I breathed easier whenever he was involved in the play. You just knew he would win the contest, or stick the tackle, or that he would make the right decision. Every time.

He could play a shutdown role on the opposition's most dangerous small forward and then move into the centre square for the last quarter and win the game for Hawthorn with vital centre square clearances and bob up inside fifty and kick a vital goal. e.g. Round 22, 2012 at the SCG when his long bomb from centre helped the Hawks snatch top spot from the Swans... Or in the 2013 Prelim Final vs the Cats when he helped bury the 11 loss curse with his 3rd goal.

Versatile players like Burgoyne are the best, in my opinion. People tend to favour the dominant midfielders. They're the pin-up boys and media darlings and SuperCoach stars. They win all the Brownlow and MVP awards... But I love the brilliant, versatile, team-oriented match-winners like Burgoyne.

One of the greatest indigenous footballers ever.

A Rolls Royce of a footballer who was tough as nails. He rarely missed a game. Played 407 of them, in fact.

A quiet achiever. A big game player. 4 premierships.

A humble, level-headed family man who never put a foot wrong.

One of Alastair Clarkson's most valuable soldiers.

Champion.

0c867a8274029db92a84a6ba70cd3422

Last edited:
Back