News Shaun Burgoyne returns to Port in off field role

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant say I'm happy or unhappy with this. Don't personally see it as a huge "scalp". He wanted to come home, you've got us and the Crows to pick. One has sentimental and familial value, the other is a toxic pile of s**t. Not hard really.

Shaun, in a non playing environment gives me a more Gavin Wanganeen vibe than he does a Paul Vandenberg one.

Cant say I'm happy or unhappy with this. Don't personally see it as a huge "scalp". He wanted to come home, you've got us and the Crows to pick. One has sentimental and familial value, the other is a toxic pile of sh*t. Not hard really.

Shaun, in a non playing environment gives me a more Gavin Wanganeen vibe than he does a Paul Vandenberg one.
He will be doing a bit of Pauly's type of job re community stuff, but unlike Pauly he will be doing a lot of footy stuff, more than Wangers.

If you go back to the Tom Morris story I linked on page 1 you see he will be doing a fair bit of the AFL funded Indigenous (Player) Liaison Officer role. In fact that's how the club has described it;

Mr Richardson explained Burgoyne’s new position at the club would be diverse.

“Shaun will play an important role within our football department. Part of his role will be in football operations where Shaun will assist with list management and provide mentoring and leadership for our entire playing group.

“Through a community liaison role, Shaun will also play an important role with key stakeholders including club commercial partners and government relations.

“And we look forward to having Shaun as our Indigenous Liaison Officer and involved in our industry-leading Aboriginal Programs, including the Santos Aboriginal Power Cup.

So is Chad Wingard the steak knives in this deal?
Wasnt SB one of the main reasons he chose Hawthorn

He will be doing a bit of Pauly's type of job re community stuff, but unlike Pauly he will be doing a lot of footy stuff, more than Wangers.

If you go back to the Tom Morris story I linked on page 1 you see he will be doing a fair bit of the AFL funded Indigenous (Player) Liaison Officer role. In fact that's how the club has described it;

Mr Richardson explained Burgoyne’s new position at the club would be diverse.

“Shaun will play an important role within our football department. Part of his role will be in football operations where Shaun will assist with list management and provide mentoring and leadership for our entire playing group.

“Through a community liaison role, Shaun will also play an important role with key stakeholders including club commercial partners and government relations.

“And we look forward to having Shaun as our Indigenous Liaison Officer and involved in our industry-leading Aboriginal Programs, including the Santos Aboriginal Power Cup.

Wasn't the "brothers" v other factions in the playing group part of the reason he left?

So is Chad Wingard the steak knives in this deal?
Wasnt SB one of the main reasons he chose Hawthorn

Chad will be back… in a Fortnite.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't the "brothers" v other factions in the playing group part of the reason he left?
Part of it. Read this the long article the other day, written after he played his 400th game.

Burgoyne said this week two separate knee surgeries in 2009, and a tense atmosphere at Alberton, made him determined to move.

“A lot was happening at Port,” Burgoyne explained. “Obviously, I had the knee injury, my brother (Peter) was retiring, and we were going through a rough trot. “Sometimes you just need a change of environment.

“I was vice-captain (of Port Adelaide), we (he and wife Amy) had two kids at the time, and we had just bought our dream home in Adelaide. “But my time there had come to an end.”

“It became public knowledge that there was an increasingly strained relationship between Shaun and the club,” Pelchen said. “Partly, he was dissatisfied with the club’s treatment of his older brother Peter. Partly, it was around the captaincy issue. He felt his position at the club wasn’t being respected to the level it should have been.”

Mark Williams, Port Adelaide’s coach at the time, had been overruled in his push to make Burgoyne captain in 2009. Dom Cassisi won the role.

Williams told the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast: “I thought (Burgoyne) was the best person to be captain of Port Adelaide. I didn’t get supported and it disappointed me.

“We had a leadership (consultancy) group come to the club that gave the players a bit of empowerment in regard to telling people what they should and shouldn’t do.

“I know it affected Shaun greatly.”

Williams felt Burgoyne was “ostracised” when the consultancy group questioned his ability to captain the club. Burgoyne this week preferred not to go into detail about his Port Adelaide fallout, stressing he remained in communication with former teammates, and was a regular attendee at the 2004 premiership reunion each year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back