Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I find Richmond very good to watch.
Fantastic running and marking defence, super KF's who mark and kick well, exciting small forwards, the magic of Dusty, fitness and pace for 4 quarters. They just run and run. What really is negative about them?
They are easily the best team in the comp, and their brand is excellent

Absolutely through gritted teeth. I would much prefer us play a little more like them and a little less like Geelong after the bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Doesn't make me laugh. I wish we could play that high pressure for as long as they do. Anyway, jealousy is a curse.

I guess I'm sorry for your curse then?

I'd be more concerned about how you simultaneously praise their pressure while denying their negative game style. The two don't mesh.

I guess I'm sorry for your curse then?

I'd be more concerned about how you simultaneously praise their pressure while denying their negative game style. The two don't mesh.
That's your limitation. Plenty can see both.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair enough.
He is a wonderful player, but agree, not magical. Poor choice.

He's one of the best in the competition, no doubt.

But I don't enjoy watching Freo just because they have Fyfe. Tbh I'm not sure there are any gamestyles in the league that interest me much. Maybe GWS if they were capable of regularly doing what they set out to do, but they haven't been since at least 2017.

He's one of the best in the competition, no doubt.

But I don't enjoy watching Freo just because they have Fyfe. Tbh I'm not sure there are any gamestyles in the league that interest me much. Maybe GWS if they were capable of regularly doing what they set out to do, but they haven't been since at least 2017.
Agree.
But I do like watching Houli , Grimes, Astbury, (Rance,) Vlastuin, and the way most of their players seem to be good marks, and the way they can just keep running and sustain that pressure. CHAOS footy it has been called.. Castagna, Prestia, Lynch and Riewoldt ...
The player Higgins iirc, who is having brain surgery etc, he showed a lot of spunk.

Brisbane played exciting footy before they ran out of legs, and Essendon can as well.

But in the words of Prince
NOTHING COMPARES
to the style we had in 07-08. That was exhilarating.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Agree.
But I do like watching Houli , Grimes, Astbury, (Rance,) Vlastuin, and the way most of their players seem to be good marks, and the way they can just keep running and sustain that pressure. CHAOS footy it has been called.. Castagna, Prestia, Lynch and Riewoldt ...
The player Higgins iirc, who is having brain surgery etc, he showed a lot of spunk.

Brisbane played exciting footy before they ran out of legs, and Essendon can as well.

NOTHING COMPARES
This Geelong team aren't skilled or daring enough to play like the 07' team, but they could easily play like the current Richmond team if they had the same work rate and attitude that the tigers have across the board.

Hurts to say but this Richmond team plays a better brand of football than anything that we've dished up in the last 8 years.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I find Richmond very good to watch.
Fantastic running and marking defence, super KF's who mark and kick well, exciting small forwards, the magic of Dusty, fitness and pace for 4 quarters. They just run and run. What really is negative about them?
They are easily the best team in the comp, and their brand is excellent
They evolved imo... the 19 side cheats far more cause they really trust each other... you know a side is at their best when doing that.. Does make them vulnerable is someone has the guts to play aggressive footy back at them. Your weakness is your strength... do not ever let the ball get out the front of the pack against them

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
The Tigers have that magical ability (Like Dogs of '97) to be simultaneously hard at the contest, but also be forward of the ball to run onto easy goals as they outsprint the defenders against them. AS frustrating as it was to see Geelong sit by on Grand Final day, and of course losing Kelly is a massive blow given he was our best player and goalkicker that match, we gave the Tigers the biggest run for their money in the Finals of the teams they faced.

The Tigers have that magical ability (Like Dogs of '97) to be simultaneously hard at the contest, but also be forward of the ball to run onto easy goals as they outsprint the defenders against them. AS frustrating as it was to see Geelong sit by on Grand Final day, and of course losing Kelly is a massive blow given he was our best player and goalkicker that match, we gave the Tigers the biggest run for their money in the Finals of the teams they faced.
We did.
We proved we can start well in finals, but we have done nothing to eradicate our disastrous post bye starts.
Interestingly, Richmond and Collingwood were both sluggish after their second byes; GWS was able to hang on, Geelong wasn't, but we were facing a very fit and confident team.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We had a plan, we stuck to the plan. We should have kicked more. But when they responded, that was the time we needed Duncan and Hawk. Two top 5 players.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I believe all the cats assistants are under contract. Grigg is adding rather than replacing. And it would seem we probably won’t see any other changes.

It’s been too long with the same voices there. O’Bree and Knights are the two always mentioned to change. I’d really like to get Mark Williams in but that won’t happen.

Good to have Grigg anyway and tigers fans here seem to rate his footy iq.

I believe all the cats assistants are under contract. Grigg is adding rather than replacing. And it would seem we probably won’t see any other changes.

It’s been too long with the same voices there. O’Bree and Knights are the two always mentioned to change. I’d really like to get Mark Williams in but that won’t happen.

Good to have Grigg anyway and tigers fans here seem to rate his footy iq.
Why Chocko?
That would be a backwards and negative move for our club. He is a relic that has not grown in to current AFL thinking .

Why Chocko?
That would be a backwards and negative move for our club. He is a relic that has not grown in to current AFL thinking .

Plus he had attempted (unsuccessfully) to deny us a flag in 2007, so that's a definite no-no. ;)

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Plus he had attempted (unsuccessfully) to deny us a flag in 2007, so that's a definite no-no. ;)

Yes putting all those witches hats that you had to occassionaly run around was horrible. He would ditch Weribee for an assistant role at an AFL club in a second.

Anyway just popped in to say good luck Grigga. Deserving of an AFL gig.

Who knows in five years time. Since Clarkson, you just cant pick which ones will become the great coaches.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree.

NOTHING COMPARES

I don't get the 'chaos' tag. Too many imbeciles listening to Brian Taylor and Dwayne Russell.

It's nothing more than very direct football. Move the ball forward quickly, either by hand or foot. The only real difference between Richmond in 2019 and us in 2007 was that we kicked to targets more, whereas Richmond aren't fussed if the ball is on the ground. Just like Thompson warned the club in early 2007, there is always a risk that you'll get burned the other way. If you have players good enough it seems a pretty reasonable gameplan though.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I don't get the 'chaos' tag. Too many imbeciles listening to Brian Taylor and Dwayne Russell.

It's nothing more than very direct football. Move the ball forward quickly, either by hand or foot. The only real difference between Richmond in 2019 and us in 2007 was that we kicked to targets more, whereas Richmond aren't fussed if the ball is on the ground. Just like Thompson warned the club in early 2007, there is always a risk that you'll get burned the other way. If you have players good enough it seems a pretty reasonable gameplan though.

Agree. Teams are so tactical and cautious today when going forward that if a team is playing a direct type of game where they are prepared to invite a contest at ground level then it looks chaotic in comparison.

BT and DR played in eras where that was the par so Im its odd they have coined that nonsensical phrase.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree. Teams are so tactical and cautious today when going forward that if a team is playing a direct type of game where they are prepared to invite a contest at ground level then it looks chaotic in comparison.

BT and DR played in eras where that was the par so Im its odd they have coined that nonsensical phrase.

Unfortunately when there is a microphone in front of them all they care about is hype and themselves. And butchering the language.

Off topic, I'll never forget Dwayne Russell describing a regulation set shot at goal (30 metres out, dead in front) by Jack Watts at "a work of art". The margin was over 140 points at that point. Grade A Assclown.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Zis is Richmond...ve don't Kaos here!

I too don't get or like the chaos tag- they look very structured and organised even if the pace is frenetic

I too don't get or like the chaos tag- they look very structured and organised even if the pace is frenetic
You're right, Richmond do not play chaos football. They play a speed kills game and move the ball faster than almost all teams with a high level of skill. They have the best organised defence in the comp and can attack with abandon, knowing that if they turn it over their defence will bail them out.

Ps....Grigg will make a very good coach. He was a limited but smart footballer. Sadly I think he'll improve your youth considerably. I do not like helping one of our biggest dangers going forward.

Back