Recommitted Shaun Higgins [signed a contract to the end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he has ever played a full season without injury? Geelong are going to fall off massively if the bring in any more 30+ players.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
2015 he did and has played 21, 20 and 17 in the last 3 years.

I doubt the cats even inquired about him. Seems like a complete media beat-up.

*And I was wrong, he admitted that he met with the Cats.

Last edited:
I doubt the cats even inquired about him. Seems like a complete media beat-up.

Higgins to Geelong always seemed like nothing more than his manager leaking fake news to the media trying to eek out an extra year from North. As a contracted player his trade cost was always going to be too high for us at his age. Geelong targets are always locked in a long way out and that one popped up very late in the H&A.

I'd much prefer Higgins to Steven but the Steven one has always appeared to have more legs. It has been persistent all year and Steven would come at a cheaper trade price because of his issues. Hopefully Ratten can talk him around to staying though now he is coach as I don't want him.

Higgins to Geelong always seemed like nothing more than his manager leaking fake news to the media trying to eek out an extra year from North. As a contracted player his trade cost was always going to be too high for us at his age. Geelong targets are always locked in a long way out and that one popped up very late in the H&A.

I'd much prefer Higgins to Steven but the Steven one has always appeared to have more legs. It has been persistent all year and Steven would come at a cheaper trade price because of his issues. Hopefully Ratten can talk him around to staying though now he is coach as I don't want him.
The thing is though, the 1 year extension was always the same, North didn’t budge on that all year.

That suggest that it was more media guesswork than even management leakages.

I don't think he has ever played a full season without injury? Geelong are going to fall off massively if the bring in any more 30+ players.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its not like he is missing games due to soft tissue injuries like Darcy Moore or Deledio. He misses games due to impact injuries - like a head clash in 2018 and a tackle that broke his collar bone this year. There is a big difference in missing games as an older player that are soft tissue or impact.

He was every bit as good as his AA season this year before that tackle. The early injuries at the dogs can also help him - he has 80 games less than some in his draft.

Nice try cats

Thank the lord, first Goldy and now Higgins - it's almost like Geelong is being used by player managers to get North to agree to ridiculous long term contracts for their older stars!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank the lord, first Goldy and now Higgins - it's almost like Geelong is being used by player managers to get North to agree to ridiculous long term contracts for their older stars!
Looking forward to the cats bundling out of the finals due to no decent ruck and then lose Kelly and replace him with a broken Steven

Looking forward to the cats bundling out of the finals due to no decent ruck and then lose Kelly and replace him with a broken Steven
Yikes, well stay salty I guess and enjoy Dad's army missing the finals each year.

Yikes, well stay salty I guess and enjoy Dad's army missing the finals each year.
You have no AFL quality ruck - there is a reason you offered Goldy 4 years. Even if you only got 2 good years out of him its better than what you have on your list. It would be like the Swans signing Buddy for 9 years knowing they will get little out of him in year 8 & 9.

You have no AFL quality ruck - there is a reason you offered Goldy 4 years. Even if you only got 2 good years out of him its better than what you have on your list. It would be like the Swans signing Buddy for 9 years knowing they will get little out of him in year 8 & 9.
I'm not denying that. Goldy would have been nice, but when did anyone from Geelong confirm they had even offered him a contract let alone 4 years?

Fantastic news for all parties North keep a good player Cats dont waste draft picks and Higgins gets the deal he wants, not often you get a win by all parties...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back