Shaun Higgins rated the worst kick in AFL by champion data

Remove this Banner Ad

tiredcat

Senior List
Jan 9, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Data analyst Hoyne from champion date says Shaun Higgins is the worst kick in the AFL this year. Almost 10 per cent below the AFL average this year for the kicks he’s trying.
He has kicked 2 goals 8 from 15 shots 11 shots under no pressure. Not good for an elite player with sublime kicking skills.

Maybe the commentators can stop talking about his elite disposal every time he gets the ball. Clearly he has had very good disposal. But his kicking and kicking for goal has been awful this year. Maybe he needs to work out his role better or he hasn’t adjusted to his place in the pecking order. I wasn’t in favour of recruiting him and I think he should be replaced in the team by Narkle or a forward like Evans.
No drama him being in the team when/if he gets his disposal back up. No doubt he would dominate if dropped back to the vfl.

Yep. Well below par. These kick ratings stats are the business too.

From the Hun:

He has a reputation as a Rolls Royce, but one big name recruit has the worst kick rating in the competition. Find out more on Pure Footy.

The AFL world needs to change its view of Shaun Higgins, according to stats guru Daniel Hoyne.
Higgins was renowned as a quality ball user over 15 years at the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne, but after a trade to Geelong he has become “Brad Hill in hoops” according to North Melbourne champion David King.
King and Champion Data analyst Hoyne cut through the cliches to reveal what’s really happening at the AFL in their weekly Pure Footy show, exclusive to heraldsun.com.au.

“Everyone assumes this guy is a Rolls Royce, he’s a beautiful mover, he’s a great kick — it’s absolutely not the case. He’s the worst kick in the competition this year,” Hoyne said.

“We’ve got to assess this guy differently.”

Digging deeper than kicking efficiency, Champion Data gives every player a kick rating to measure how often they hit the targets they should.

“He’s almost 10 per cent below the AFL average this year for the kicks he’s trying to pull off,” Hoyne said.

“We’ve talked about Nat Fyfe a lot and his accuracy in front of goal — Shaun Higgins is worse. (He’s had) 15 shots at goal this year for two goals. He’s had 11 shots at goal that have been unpressured.

“It’s a big two weeks for Shaun Higgins against two contenders to start improving these numbers and absolutely cement himself in the best 22.”

However, it’s a different story for one of Geelong’s other big off-season recruits — in the past seven weeks Jeremy Cameron is the No.2 ranked key forward in the competition, behind only teammate Tom Hawkins.

See more on the Cats, the problem Richmond must fix or “it’s curtains” for the Tigers’ premiership hopes, Josh Kelly’s trade value, how an easy fixture is working against Sydney, and more in this week’s episode.

I reckon i have heard the commentators talk up how great a kick he is about 5 or 6 times, right as he shanks an easy shot for goal. They should have learnt the first 3 or 4 times that his kicking is woeful this year.

It’s not like they have been hard shots either. Most of the ones i’ve seen him miss were 30-40 metres out, close enough to right in front.

I'm pretty sure his field kicking is above 70% de.

This was painted as worst kick, but I think the OP meant worst set shot.

Either way, I just don't think he deserves to be in the 22 atm. He's very ordinary, and if he were a young guy, he would've been out on his ear a while ago. To me he's only getting a game on reputation, and he's falling well short of that.

I'm pretty sure his field kicking is above 70% de.

This was painted as worst kick, but I think the OP meant worst set shot.
Sadly not. It’s all his kicks.

KE% is 59.5 this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whelp. Chalk this one up as ammo for the rest of the season.

Do they say how he ranks on score assists, scoring chains and score involvements?
For Geelong he ranks 14th, 6th and 17th for score assists, goal assists and score launches.

Yep. Well below par. These kick ratings stats are the business too.

From the Hun:
Wow I read the headline and assumed this was just champion data applying some weird factors that make Mason Cox elite but no. 15 set shots and 11 unpressured shots for 2 goals is not a good look.

If he was not a player who had been brought in. If he was a player who been drafted and come from within our system. Does he stay in the side? Narkle seems to lose his spot doing a lot less wrong

View attachment 1156027
Tin foil hat stuff.

Must say I’ve been very underwhelmed so far. The contrast of value from Smith to Higgins is huge. I think that he had a disrupted pre season (?) and hamstring issues but as an oldie the club cannot claim that this was an unforeseeable risk. Scott will persist, banking on his experience and skill to re-emerge.
Not sure on the stats but did make a shocker pass attempt in Q3, when 30 metres out nearly directly in front, incredibly choosing a sideways pass to the pocket instead of a straight forward shot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back