Shaun Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Still need to survive another hour to make this safe.

We were only 3 down at tea in 2001, though we have DRS, 2 neutral umpires and aren't thinking we can win.

3 key differences

As maligned he has been, I reckon he's put in a career saving shift today.

Not yet. He made a good half century in the second test, but made 9 in the second dig and we still lost. A wicketless second session on the 5th day is fantastic, but it's still job half done.

The third test has 30 overs left in it and we're 3 behind with 6 wickets in hand. The runs don't matter, it's all about time. Marsh and Handscomb have batted the game into a position India did not want to be in, needing wickets quickly to get a final dig at winning. If the pair can bat another 10-15 overs together it should take all the sting out of the game.

Not yet. He made a good half century in the second test, but made 9 in the second dig and we still lost. A wicketless second session on the 5th day is fantastic, but it's still job half done.

The third test has 30 overs left in it and we're 3 behind with 6 wickets in hand. The runs don't matter, it's all about time. Marsh and Handscomb have batted the game into a position India did not want to be in, needing wickets quickly to get a final dig at winning. If the pair can bat another 10-15 overs together it should take all the sting out of the game.
Nailed it. There's officially 29 overs left in the day, take away 3 for the 6 wickets necessary and 2 overs for change over. If they bat another 10; it's done. There's no way they get the next 6 in time to make the runs.

If Maxwell comes in with a 20 run lead I'd almost be tempted to tell him to go out and try to make it impossible for India to chase.

Nailed it. There's officially 29 overs left in the day, take away 3 for the 6 wickets necessary and 2 overs for change over. If they bat another 10; it's done. There's no way they get the next 6 in time to make the runs.

If Maxwell comes in with a 20 run lead I'd almost be tempted to tell him to go out and try to make it impossible for India to chase.

If a result is likely (i.e. they are chasing) Kohli will request the extra 30 minutes (minimum 8 overs). I'd expect that in that instance we'd bowl 4 from each end of pace and drag it out as long as possible. If we're still batting 8 or 9 down I doubt the umpires will allow the extra half an hour, although in India who knows.

Cmon Marsh. Answer your critics
He has; in spades. He's currently faced the 5th most deliveries in the test match. He's done most of the hard work.

Bampity bumpity chuckity chuck away his wickety bump turnip.

So this guy's your next rant? Excellent, watch him make a ton second dig :thumbsu:. Oh and really, his dismissal was really the only one that didn't throw it away.

Its sinful to revel in glee within whose opinion is thus proven not to be folly, but words of truth, spoken by an angel.

Just like Lyon, right?
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not good enough.
There's no satisfying some people. Faced nearly 200 balls in a day where the only result possible for Australia was a draw. Did his job and did it to aplomb.

Said it in the other thread, but the bloke's easily our best touring batsman behind Smith. Averages 42 from 23 innings overseas and passes 50 roughly every 3 innings.

Utterly bemuses me when people talk about dropping him from overseas tours, there's just no logic behind it.

Said it in the other thread, but the bloke's easily our best touring batsman behind Smith. Averages 42 from 23 innings overseas and passes 50 roughly every 3 innings.

Utterly bemuses me when people talk about dropping him from overseas tours, there's just no logic behind it.
Cops some reflected abuse because his bro sucks so much. They get lumped together unfairly.

Smarsh's main issue has been constant injuries more so than problems with performance.

I'm taking great enjoyment out of watching you all back peddle on this one. You've all been saying for weeks how Marsh is a great subcontinent player and he's dished up crap. He's not alone in that regard but he's nearly 34, how much longer do we have to wait for him to be a consistent cricketer?
I would hardly call 2 test matches 6 months prior in a different country "plenty of opportunities ". I'll take Khawaja's Test figures over Marsh's any day of the week. If Usman's last name were Marsh, he never would have been dropped.
Fair dinkum you are and absolute wallaby. With Handscomb made a half century and faced about 200 balls to save the game for Australia and keep the series alive. But I bet you still think Khawaja a bloke that couldn't buy a run in Sri Lanka would've done better.

David Warner has passed 50 18 times in 58 innings outside Australia, once every 3.2 innings. He must be an excellent touring batsman.
Absolutely, because he also averages 42 and has a great subcontinental record to go with it.

Oh wait.

Marsh played a great innings today, but it would be nice if people could stop judging him absolutely from one innings to the next. Dud after the first test, gun because he made 66, dud after a failing in the second innings... Etc.

In this series he's made 16, 0, 66, 9, 2, 53. 146 runs @ 24.3. As I said before the series and during and after the first and second tests, let's judge his series after his series. One good innings here and there is NOT the mark of a consistent batsman. He's performing exactly as you'd expect him to if you had followed his career to date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back