Shaun Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh played a great innings today, but it would be nice if people could stop judging him absolutely from one innings to the next. Dud after the first test, gun because he made 66, dud after a failing in the second innings... Etc.

In this series he's made 16, 0, 66, 9, 2, 53. 146 runs @ 24.3. As I said before the series and during and after the first and second tests, let's judge his series after his series. One good innings here and there is NOT the mark of a consistent batsman. He's performing exactly as you'd expect him to if you had followed his career to date.
The runs are a little bit misleading though. He's had 2 very good innings that were worth 100's almost anywhere else in the world.

Would you agree that he's been a lot more influential than his 24.3 series average suggests?

Marsh played a great innings today, but it would be nice if people could stop judging him absolutely from one innings to the next. Dud after the first test, gun because he made 66, dud after a failing in the second innings... Etc.

In this series he's made 16, 0, 66, 9, 2, 53. 146 runs @ 24.3. As I said before the series and during and after the first and second tests, let's judge his series after his series. One good innings here and there is NOT the mark of a consistent batsman. He's performing exactly as you'd expect him to if you had followed his career to date.

I think in such a tough series you need to take it Test by Test. You'd love a bit more from him but he's generally stood up when most others have failed (hasn't chipped in with 50 when we're already in a great position for example) which shows character and I value his innings more highly that way.

That's the thing about this team this time around. It hasn't been all about a couple of guys having a big series like in any of our previous away tours (even when we've lost). Just about everyone has contributed (except Warner) at one time or another and they've done so exactly when it was needed.

Fair dinkum you are and absolute wallaby. With Handscomb made a half century and faced about 200 balls to save the game for Australia and keep the series alive. But I bet you still think Khawaja a bloke that couldn't buy a run in Sri Lanka would've done better.
Lol And I bet you sat there stroking yourself to every second of it. You were pretty quiet for a few days there Kram, Is Marsh averaging above 20 for the series yet? Maybe we better give the 34 year old another year to prove everyone wrong.... I mean if he weren't from WA you wouldn't be defending him so bloody hard. Great innings today but He's average and has always been average. End of.

Lol And I bet you sat there stroking yourself to every second of it. You were pretty quiet for a few days there Kram, Is Marsh averaging above 20 for the series yet? Maybe we better give the 34 year old another year to prove everyone wrong.... I mean if he weren't from WA you wouldn't be defending him so bloody hard. Great innings today but He's average and has always been average. End of.
Suck it up foamer :thumbsu:

I think in such a tough series you need to take it Test by Test. You'd love a bit more from him but he's generally stood up when most others have failed (hasn't chipped in with 50 when we're already in a great position for example) which shows character and I value his innings more highly that way.
Did you just say it shows character to make SFA when the rest of your team is making runs? No that makes you inconsistent. Seriously He has had 1 great knock,1 good knock and 4 s**t knocks. Hardly think his character has anything to do with it do you?

Did you just say it shows character to make SFA when the rest of your team is making runs? No that makes you inconsistent. Seriously He has had 1 great knock,1 good knock and 4 s**t knocks. Hardly think his character has anything to do with it do you?

This is India, we aren't playing at home here so you need to be realistic with what you consider 'inconsistent'. He hasn't set the world on fire, but he's played a couple of excellent knocks when the team really needed it. Are you just shitting on him for the sake of it or do you seriously want him dropped for Khawaja in the last Test?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always give credit where it is due, and full credit to Marsh today. He just needs a little consistency to survive at number 4 where you need to be on top of your game most of the time. Still, well done today, hopefully we will see more of it in future.
Marsh plays his best cricket at 5; if they ever get over this obsession with an all rounder, I would slot Usman back in and everyone drops a spot down the order.

Last edited:
It's the most frustrating part abut marsh vs khawaja that there was even a battle for a spot to begin with, why can't they both play in the top 6?

One side talks about marsh being in form when he is fit the other side brings up that outside of one series in SL khawaja has dominated so in a team that hasn't had great batting depth why can't they both just play?

The runs meant nothing today, Marsh saved the innings by batting for nearly 2 innings.

He also saved our first innings in the last test by edging us in front of the Indians first innings total (even though we went on to lose the match).

2 out of 3 tests he's been instrumental for us, the stats don't always tell the full story.

The runs are a little bit misleading though. He's had 2 very good innings that were worth 100's almost anywhere else in the world.

Would you agree that he's been a lot more influential than his 24.3 series average suggests?

Yes and no. It's a low scoring series. Only 3 players averaging 50 or higher, plus Maxwell who has only played two innings. Marsh has played two good innings and four ordinary ones. Over the course of the series I'd have him about on par with Handscomb behind Smith and Renshaw as our best performed batsman.

Credit where credit's due, but he needs to carry on momentum now, he's developing this nasty habit of following up runs with enough misses to warrant pressure on his spot.

At 34 I think we've got to hold him to a pretty strict standard and give him less leeway than you would a Handscomb or Renshaw, put up or shut up time.

Rogers and Voges both had fruitful little careers starting beyond the age Marsh is now but they were both consistent as hell, and they knew that if the runs stopped they were gone for good, Rogers has said as much.

The innings today was worth a 100, dont make any mistake about that.
He survived close to 200 balls, was there for 2 and a bit sessions.
Plus, he's the only left hander that made a meaningful contribution - even Renshaw failed eventually.
As a left hander it would have been a lot harder against Jadeja and Ashwin.

Unlikely to ever receive the respect he deserves from the usual flock of sheep because his name is Marsh and he failed in a series about half a decade ago. But who gives a toss, he keeps on gutsing it out when the team needs him and is a more than effective test batsman.

Case in point is one of the most pathetic posts I've seen on here:
drop him for the second innings
Good one.

Are you actually stupid? You take 3 days to reply to my posts and the only reason you did reply was because your boy made a few runs. Gutless mate, absolutely gutless. Enjoy being let down by Smersh again soon and wtf is a "foamer"
So have you and Usman decided yet, is it simple registry office, or a full church do for you two?

lol nice melt again, I like Khawaja as well a quality player that will no doubt be back in the side soon, take it like a man and just enjoy this great series you weirdo.

Yes and no. It's a low scoring series. Only 3 players averaging 50 or higher, plus Maxwell who has only played two innings. Marsh has played two good innings and four ordinary ones. Over the course of the series I'd have him about on par with Handscomb behind Smith and Renshaw as our best performed batsman.
Handscomb has only really had the one good innings and that was yesterday. Renshaw has faced a lot of balls but from memory hasn't hit a lot of runs after the 1st innings in the 1st test, has he?

Smith definitely light years above anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back