Shaun Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea its weird he's only played 62 games considering his age and weight of domestic runs. I think yesterday he gave an interview where he basically said he's resigned to the fact he won't be playing test cricket anymore. Fair play to him. Hopefully he can play another 18 months of odis and just concentrate on those while mentoring the young guys. I've always liked the guy. Seems a fairly humble bloke despite the family connections. Let himself down in the test arena we can probably all agree
Yeah I hope we don't see him in test cricket again. The white ball form may well fool the selectors into picking him again, but they have to remember he's been scoring a heap of one day runs in the last 12 months and he's had an awful time in the whites over that time.

I hope he just concentrates on the short form from now on and finishes off his career well.

Imho there seems to be a massive shift in the media attention in this country concerning players and selectors. Players seem to have alot more power to have a crack at the administration now and the media fuel it. Not saying it shouldn't happen from time to time and definitely the selector's need to be held accountable but far out in a bit worried about the future when players seem to be getting more and more sensitive and holier than thou. Give me the the hard as nails blokes from the '90s and 2000s anyday who would put 10000 first class runs on the board and not even expect any sort of call up ever. Hodgey had a case to whinge but most of them just got on with the job. Zero whinging. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but the media seems to demand selection for the international squads based on a few big bash games?? Am I wrong about the culture shift?

Y
Yeah I hope we don't see him in test cricket again. The white ball form may well fool the selectors into picking him again, but they have to remember he's been scoring a heap of one day runs in the last 12 months and he's had an awful time in the whites over that time.

I hope he just concentrates on the short form from now on and finishes off his career well.
I agree 100%. His secondary role now is to bring the young blokes up to speed too. Langer rates his leadership hopefully the next couple years brings out the best in him

I'm saying be consistent, and why should any batsmen get the entire series? Why wasn't Marsh dropped after the 2nd test or 3rd test at worst for instance. Why did we wait till Sydney to change a batting lineup? We had a perfect opportunity to try some players this year and get something out of this year. What have we got out of this year? Jeez I'd love to know it!

Just seems a boys club and it absolutely utterly reeks of it.

Its not all that bad.....we have unearthed an opener in Harris who is worth persisting with

Its not all that bad.....we have unearthed an opener in Harris who is worth persisting with

We could have unearthed a few more had we not gone back to the tried and failed options. I’m happy we got flogged as it meant the selectors finally made some calls. Shouldn’t take us getting flogged for the selectors to see what everyone else can see.

We could have unearthed a few more had we not gone back to the tried and failed options. I’m happy we got flogged as it meant the selectors finally made some calls. Shouldn’t take us getting flogged for the selectors to see what everyone else can see.

So do you think that we only got beaten because of selection? Do you think that India, the number 1 team in the world, may have beaten us even with what team you would consider our best? Very arrogant if that’s what you think

So do you think that we only got beaten because selection? Do you think that India, the number 1 team in the world, may have beaten us even with what team you would consider our best? Very arrogant if that’s what you think

We didn’t help ourselves with selection but we probably still would have lost. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have tried a few players though rather than playing a few players that had been tried before and failed

We didn’t help ourselves with selection but we probably still would have lost. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have tried a few players though rather than playing a few players that had been tried before and failed

And what if they failed, like they did today? Do we keep trying other players all the way down to 1st grade club cricket?

And what if they failed, like they did today? Do we keep trying other players all the way down to 1st grade club cricket?

We give them the summer. I’d rather have a few youngsters in than some old failed options...

Patterson should have been in all summer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imho there seems to be a massive shift in the media attention in this country concerning players and selectors. Players seem to have alot more power to have a crack at the administration now and the media fuel it. Not saying it shouldn't happen from time to time and definitely the selector's need to be held accountable but far out in a bit worried about the future when players seem to be getting more and more sensitive and holier than thou. Give me the the hard as nails blokes from the '90s and 2000s anyday who would put 10000 first class runs on the board and not even expect any sort of call up ever. Hodgey had a case to whinge but most of them just got on with the job. Zero whinging. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but the media seems to demand selection for the international squads based on a few big bash games?? Am I wrong about the culture shift?

Well it'd be good to have batsmen actually scoring 1000 runs in a Shield season first.

Now Sanga failed playing a hook shot on 3. Cant these young blokes be patient these days? Build an innings FFS. Even kohli put the hook away until he was set.

Our selectors should say, we will pick the players who face the most balls. Then these guys would probably make runs because they are still in FFS. Isn’t Pujara the best example of that.

I'd say that people not getting picked haven't changed their attitudes (they're all frustrated to some extent). There are two key differences now though:

1. Our national team sucks at the moment. So if you don't get picked, you're probably going to be more bemused as the guy chosen ahead of you has probably failed miserably.
2. There is way more media involvement from players than there was previously, especially of those not in the national team (BBL is an example of that). Previously they would never be interviewed at all.

I'd say that people not getting picked haven't changed their attitudes (they're all frustrated to some extent). There are two key differences now though:

1. Our national team sucks at the moment. So if you don't get picked, you're probably going to be more bemused as the guy chosen ahead of you has probably failed miserably.
2. There is way more media involvement from players than there was previously, especially of those not in the national team (BBL is an example of that). Previously they would never be interviewed at all.

A lot harder to whine about not being picked when the national team is smashing everyone like we did most of the time in the 90s up to about 2008.

We simply don’t have the depth of talent we used to and selections are more marginal calls as not many are demanding selection.

In saying that, the selections seem rather muddled and non sensical in many cases.

Not helping this fact is the fixturing this season, usually our test summer is done by now, and tests would of begun in November while shield cricket was on.

Now we are picking a side for a 2 test series based on nothing but big bash for 5 weeks, 2 tests against India and the current tour game.

A lot of the people who have a go at administrators are also the people who never really earned a shot. I remember Agar not long ago having a crack at them about not getting a go in the One Day side. His record is ordinary in all formats, he's lucky to have played International Cricket and he only has because the selectors gifted him chances on the pack of potential.

When you don't have to do anything exceptional to get a shot it's not surprising that they basically take it for granted and like Shane Warne said, treat it more like a job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back