Shaun Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

As a generality, would comfortably prefer NSW, Victoria and WA's bowling attack over South Australia's throughout the past few years.

We need a Royal Commission in to the Marsh brothers.

My theory is a deal with Canberra was struck back when Colin Barnett was Premier and Abbott was PM in around 2013 or 14.

The deal was WA would continue to get screwed on the GST distribution - but in return the Marsh boys will get unfettered access to Australian team selection regardless of performance.

My theory is a deal with Canberra was struck back when Colin Barnett was Premier and Abbott was PM in around 2013 or 14.

The deal was WA would continue to get screwed on the GST distribution - but in return the Marsh boys will get unfettered access to Australian team selection regardless of performance.
Agreed, Shaun’s selection in the current series certainly raises some questions.

SA would do a lot for their Shield team's Test hopes if they stopped churning out roads. It limits the performance of their bowlers and discredits the runs of their batsmen.
?

The wickets in Adelaide do plenty. There's almost always results and Sayers/Mennie are continually at the top of the wicket taking tables as a result. If anything the wickets in Adelaide flatter their ability with the ball.

A few years ago that criticism would be valid.

Batted OK if slow. Has performed his role to a tee. But age could catch up soon and without massive credits in the bank he will eventually be phased out for a Maxwell,Handscomb, Renshaw etc (whoever is a long term option in form).

Jokes on us non believers now

You mean over the last 4-6 years, 1 good innings a series to seal his place in the side, then 4 or 5 garbage innings afterwards?

Mighty big rock.
I looked like a real goose when he scores 60 and 140 almost straight after, then vindicated when he scored nothing against South Africa or Pakistan, especially averaging 3.5 in the UAE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On what metric is Shaun Marsh panels above Shield level?

Has a FC average of 41 over a 15+ year period. He is beautiful to watch when he is on but he's no Mark Waugh who averaged 52 and made Shield cricket look easy.

Marsh will excel in any format at any level. And he'll fail in most. Is an excellent List A/ODI batsman and also has an excellent T20 record. Has an average T20I record from limited starts, a good but not great FC record and a mediocre test record. Nothing about his test record surprise me from his FC record. Scores 100s and 50s at the same rate and averages a bit less overall.

That he's only played 60 ODIs but 35 tests boggles the mind.

Has a FC average of 41 over a 15+ year period. He is beautiful to watch when he is on but he's no Mark Waugh who averaged 52 and made Shield cricket look easy.

Marsh will excel in any format at any level. And he'll fail in most. Is an excellent List A/ODI batsman and also has an excellent T20 record. Has an average T20I record from limited starts, a good but not great FC record and a mediocre test record. Nothing about his test record surprise me from his FC record. Scores 100s and 50s at the same rate and averages a bit less overall.

Look at our current team. It's not mind-boggling at all.

On recent metrics. He’s averaged anywhere between 50 and 60 across the last few seasons, was making runs for fun before the first Test. He’s had plenty of lean patches, which is why his overall FC average looks solid rather than spectacular, but he has consistently been among the Shield’s best across the past few seasons.

On recent metrics. He’s averaged anywhere between 50 and 60 across the last few seasons, was making runs for fun before the first Test. He’s had plenty of lean patches, which is why his overall FC average looks solid rather than spectacular, but he has consistently been among the Shield’s best across the past few seasons.

One or two good Shield seasons doesn't elevate you to a level above. Adam Voges has a better record overall and averaged 100+ for a full Shield season. Marsh averages 50 once and people lose their minds. If you look at Marsh's record and peak in Shield cricket he's about at the level of Joe Burns. He's no Hussey. Hodge, Katich etc. nor is he well ahead of his contemporaries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back