Shaun Marsh

Where's the cheer command or +1 button? I see this as being a Shaun Marsh debate, and you personally have a man crush.
Tbh mate I see it as being more for balance. I did the same with Watson. While he didn’t fulfill his potential, which frustrated everyone, I wasn’t a huge fan of the vitriol he copped from the public. I don’t think it’s unhealthy he gets a dose of support now and then.

To be fair I used to treat Neser in a similar way, but I’m trying to get better. :)

Where's the cheer command or +1 button? I see this as being a Shaun Marsh debate, and you personally have a man crush.
Tbh mate I see it as being more for balance. I did the same with Watson. While he didn’t fulfill his potential, which frustrated everyone, I wasn’t a huge fan of the vitriol he copped from the public. I don’t think it’s unhealthy he gets a dose of support, and

To be fair I used to treat Neser in a similar way, but I’m trying to get better. :)

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Tbh mate I see it as being more for balance. I did the same with Watson. While he didn’t fulfill his potential, which frustrated everyone, I wasn’t a huge fan of the vitriol he copped from the public. I don’t think it’s unhealthy he gets a dose of support now and then.

Watson was the ultimate frustration. Could destroy teams on his day, but that was so infrequent, or would get himself out like a numpty, like that run-out with Katich.

Watson was the ultimate frustration. Could destroy teams on his day, but that was so infrequent, or would get himself out like a numpty, like that run-out with Katich.
Yep. But I just feel the hatred hurled at them by the public simply adds to the pressure they feel. I’m just trying to alleviate that somewhat.

I’ll just finish this by saying that nobody is more disappointed than me how Marsh’s career has panned our. On talent alone he should have played 100 Tests and averaged 45+. It’s overly simplistic to label him a crab and move on like most on here seem to. But he’s definitely underperformed.

Does that mean he should be out straight away? Not in my mind. The alternatives are no better.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Yep. But I just feel the hatred hurled at them by the public simply adds to the pressure they feel. I’m just trying to alleviate that somewhat.

I’ll just finish this by saying that nobody is more disappointed than me how Marsh’s career has panned our. On talent alone he should have played 100 Tests and averaged 45+. It’s overly simplistic to label him a crab and move on like most on here seem to. But he’s definitely underperformed.

Does that mean he should be out straight away? Not in my mind. The alternatives are no better.
He's hit a century in the first innings after each recall. Then he bats like a crab. Agree that he's not necessarily a crab, but he does hold one of Australia's least wanted record in more than 130 years of cricket - consecutive single figure scores.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree. The hatred is quite unbelievable. Even yesterday, people didn't want Marsh to do well because it would mean he keeps his place, but wanted the team to win? Strange.

Even though he was terrible through the Pakistan series, he scored 80, 98, 22 (ODI), 106 (ODI), 21, 163*, 81, 0 before the first test when his spot was up for grabs. Not sure anyone else scored like that domestically? Maybe Wade? I had no problem in Marsh being selected for the first test of this series.

Its more an indictment on the state of our domestic comp that no one is really banging down the door putting pressure on the team.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
When he got out in the 90s? I just watched that clip last night and Katich sold him up the river.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
One or two good Shield seasons doesn't elevate you to a level above. Adam Voges has a better record overall and averaged 100+ for a full Shield season. Marsh averages 50 once and people lose their minds. If you look at Marsh's record and peak in Shield cricket he's about at the level of Joe Burns. He's no Hussey. Hodge, Katich etc. nor is he well ahead of his contemporaries.

His recent shield form is well ahead of his contemporaries. Comfortably better record than Finch and Head for starters.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
One or two good Shield seasons doesn't elevate you to a level above. Adam Voges has a better record overall and averaged 100+ for a full Shield season. Marsh averages 50 once and people lose their minds. If you look at Marsh's record and peak in Shield cricket he's about at the level of Joe Burns. He's no Hussey. Hodge, Katich etc. nor is he well ahead of his contemporaries.
It’s been three seasons at least. No one is saying he’s in the Hussey or Katich mould, but he’s at the front of the queue. Sucks to be Australian cricket at the moment but here we are. His Shield record is clearly above the likes of Finch, Harris and Head, about on par with Handscomb.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s been three seasons at least. No one is saying he’s in the Hussey or Katich mould, but he’s at the front of the queue. Sucks to be Australian cricket at the moment but here we are. His Shield record is clearly above the likes of Finch, Harris and Head, about on par with Handscomb.

Is that the same Handscomb who was dropped from the test side averaging 45+?

2018/19 3 matches, 443 @ 88.6 (Handscomb 361 @ 45.1)
2017/18 4 matches, 304 @ 38 (Handscomb 271 @ 38.7)
2016/17 1 match, 183 @ 91.5 (Handscomb 410 @ 68.3)
2015/16, 6 matches, 516 @ 46.9 (Handscomb 784 @ 43.5)

I'm not Handscomb's #1 fan but the fascination with Marsh (who will be 36 next year) has become weird. He's not some guy that is getting a run now because the cupboard is bare, he's been getting a run for 8 years.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Is that the same Handscomb who was dropped from the test side averaging 45+?

2018/19 3 matches, 443 @ 88.6 (Handscomb 361 @ 45.1)
2017/18 4 matches, 304 @ 38 (Handscomb 271 @ 38.7)
2016/17 1 match, 183 @ 91.5 (Handscomb 410 @ 68.3)
2015/16, 6 matches, 516 @ 46.9 (Handscomb 784 @ 43.5)

I'm not Handscomb's #1 fan but the fascination with Marsh (who will be 36 next year) has become weird. He's not some guy that is getting a run now because the cupboard is bare, he's been getting a run for 8 years.
Forget any stats just look at Handscomb bat for 5 minutes against pace bowling, he's awful. Might work against spin, second rate shield quicks or when Pakistan came over and bowled rubbish to him but England showed what he's like against anyone decent. Even India's mediocre bowlers just showed him up.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Forget any stats just look at Handscomb bat for 5 minutes against pace bowling, he's awful. Might work against spin, second rate shield quicks or when Pakistan came over and bowled rubbish to him but England showed what he's like against anyone decent. Even India's mediocre bowlers just showed him up.
India have one of the best bowling attacks in the world, if not the best.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Like I said, not his biggest fan.

But you could just as easily look at Marsh bat in any of the 26 times in 63 innings he hasn't cracked double figures. Doesn't really matter who is bowling, looks like a ring in.

Back