Shaving

Remove this Banner Ad

If by safety razor you mean DE razor, then yes. Cartridge razors encourage you to press down for a close shave, which increases skin irritation. A good DE razor with a sharp blade, it's easier to shave with a light touch. The tradeoff is you need much better shaving technique. Compared to a DE, it's pretty much impossible to cut yourself with a cartridge razor.

The biggest factor with skin irritation is lubrication though. If you switch to a high-quality shaving soap (not foam/gel), apply it with a good shaving brush and make sure you shave after a hot shower, you will probably see a big improvement even using a cartridge razor.

Using a good non-alcohol based aftershave will also help with your ingrowns. I'm prone to them as well and I find the only way to really avoid them altogether is to exfoliate and moisturise regularly, annoying as that is.

Cheers, I'll invest in one soon. I think part of it is also that my skin isn't used to wet shaving any more. Even with a proper technique I'll probably have a few issues for the first few months.

Have been using a good water-based, non-greasy moisturiser for over a year now. Works wonders. All that sickly smelling stuff they sell at the supermarkets should be banned...it makes the irritation worse from my experience.

One thing I've done in the last few months is apply a hot face washer for around 2 minutes before a shave, then a cold one after for the same period. Wish I knew that trick earlier, has saved me a lot of grief.

Just switched to Feather blades this week, from Wilkinson Swords. Bloody hell they're sharp. Have managed to give myself a nick at least half the times I've used them so far... prior to that I hadn't cut myself in months.

Great shave though. Once I get the hang of them, they'll be fine.

The Feathers are brutal if you don't get it right. I'm back on the Derby for the moment in a Merkur33C.

Bought a sample of the Geo F Trumper creams recently and a little disappointed in the first intance. Think they take a bit more prep than the Proraso, but got a few more samples to get it right

I got some of that Trumper Extract of Limes aftershave as a little gift from MensBiz with the Feathers. It smells amazing but the scent disappears within half an hour. I was a little disappointed.

I got some of that Trumper Extract of Limes aftershave as a little gift from MensBiz with the Feathers. It smells amazing but the scent disappears within half an hour. I was a little disappointed.
I got some as part of the GFTs sampler. I find it spreads easier than the other 2 scents, so you need less of it. Better value for money.

Extract of Limes is not really an aftershave, more of a post shave lotion. The scent is nice, but I use it to refresh the face after the shave. I've tried the Sandalwood and the Coral as well and the Limes is by far the best of the three.

Donsman, what do you make of the GFT creams. I'm a touch disappointed. They feel great and shave nicely, but I find you have to re-apply to often or shave in quadrants and apply before each quadrant.

Just had a three pass shave with the Sandalwood GFT cream, nice shave but not a thick enough lather for my liking. Gave a good five minutes prep on it too.

Extract of Limes is not really an aftershave, more of a post shave lotion. The scent is nice, but I use it to refresh the face after the shave. I've tried the Sandalwood and the Coral as well and the Limes is by far the best of the three.

Donsman, what do you make of the GFT creams. I'm a touch disappointed. They feel great and shave nicely, but I find you have to re-apply to often or shave in quadrants and apply before each quadrant.

Just had a three pass shave with the Sandalwood GFT cream, nice shave but not a thick enough lather for my liking. Gave a good five minutes prep on it too.
Agree with you about reapplying or shaving in quadrants. It does get absorbed or dry out quite quickly. I find it ok for the first pass, but after that I need to work in patches.

Don't have anything to compare it to though, only just made the switch to wet shaving.

Agree with you about reapplying or shaving in quadrants. It does get absorbed or dry out quite quickly. I find it ok for the first pass, but after that I need to work in patches.

Don't have anything to compare it to though, only just made the switch to wet shaving.

Try Proraso cream. It's great, cheaper and easier to manage in terms of applying. It's pretty old school stuff.

Try Proraso cream. It's great, cheaper and easier to manage in terms of applying. It's pretty old school stuff.
I plan to, I've heard nothing but good things about Proraso.

Have you tried the Proraso pre/post shave? If so, any good?

I plan to, I've heard nothing but good things about Proraso.

Have you tried the Proraso pre/post shave? If so, any good?
I use the Proraso pre/post shave, and it's fantastic. Bought the 500ml (i think it was 500) one, and it will last me a long time. Hardly have to use any, smells great, feels great. Highly recommend.

I use the Proraso pre/post shave, and it's fantastic. Bought the 500ml (i think it was 500) one, and it will last me a long time. Hardly have to use any, smells great, feels great. Highly recommend.
Great, definitely gonna be my next purchase.

I was just reading up on Geo F Trumper samples on Badger and Blade and the feedback on them is that they can be very hit and miss.

Will not be buying samples of anything after this experience.

Am going to mix the rest of the samples with Proraso.

The biggest factor with skin irritation is lubrication though. If you switch to a high-quality shaving soap (not foam/gel), apply it with a good shaving brush and make sure you shave after a hot shower, you will probably see a big improvement even using a cartridge razor.

Using a good non-alcohol based aftershave will also help with your ingrowns. I'm prone to them as well and I find the only way to really avoid them altogether is to exfoliate and moisturise regularly, annoying as that is.

You are so like a real life Patrick Bateman without all the killing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was conned by my wog barber from cental casting to get onto the Proroso stuff - the pre shave and then the brush and shaving foam. Best shave I have had for years - mind you the shaving oils are really good and I need it I am a s**t house shaver - even though I have been doing it for over 35 years

Ended up getting an Edwin Jagger DE89L, badger brush and some Proraso shaving soap.

Seriously fantastic. Haven't had such a close shave in a very long time and the irritation was noticeably lesser than your average cartridge razor. Definitely converted :thumbsu:

Ended up getting an Edwin Jagger DE89L, badger brush and some Proraso shaving soap.

Seriously fantastic. Haven't had such a close shave in a very long time and the irritation was noticeably lesser than your average cartridge razor. Definitely converted :thumbsu:

Is there a certain brand of blade you should normally use with it and how often do you replace the blade (ie. after each shave or once a week etc.)?

Is there a certain brand of blade you should normally use with it and how often do you replace the blade (ie. after each shave or once a week etc.)?
Blades are blades - it's not like cartridge razors where certain blades go with certain razors.

I'd recommend buying a sampler pack from an online store like MensBiz and trying a bunch of blades, seeing which one works best for you. Some people prefer a very sharp blade, others prefer one that's a bit more forgiving. How often you need to replace them is mostly a function of the blade (sharp blades tend to blunt quicker) and the toughness of your beard. I change mine every Monday morning, but I could probably get another couple of days out of them if I really wanted to.

The razor itself is actually the least important part of the shaving process - it's basically just something to hold the blade. I own a crappy no-name $20 one I picked up at the Shaver Shop. The blades and soap are the most important, followed closely by the brush.

The razor came with 5 blades included, but I also picked up some Wilkinson Sword blades (which is what I am using now). Probably will try a few different brands over the coming months to see what I prefer.

I was told that you should change blades every week. I only shave 2-3 times per week (more if I'm working), so I haven't changed it yet.

The razor came with 5 blades included, but I also picked up some Wilkinson Sword blades (which is what I am using now). Probably will try a few different brands over the coming months to see what I prefer.

I was told that you should change blades every week. I only shave 2-3 times per week (more if I'm working), so I haven't changed it yet.

Shaving three times per week at the moment and change blades once per week.

Have finally started getting good results with a Feather. Great shave.

Shave in the shower, the difference a hot face, hot razor and steam makes is massive.

Thanks guys for the info above - I'll take a look at upgrading from a disposable razor!

Btw I had a shave the other day using Coconut Oil - Honestly, the closest shave I've had forever basically (without even going against the grain) - felt really smooth and easy. Washed my face lightly with some soap and cold water afterwards and my skin was really soft and moisturised.

Been using a Merkur DE with Feather blades for a few years now. I am fairly experienced with it and have good skin so I always get a nice close shave.

Got an email from mensbiz 3 weeks ago about their straight razors. Bought one and gave it a run after watching 5 YouTube videos, just used it lightly and couldn't get the angle right to get a close shave.

The next day I took my time and got a nice close shave with only one slight cut. Felt like a boss. Went back again against the grain (which I never do with a DE), big mistake.

Nek minnit.

Bright red shaving rash all over my neck.

Luckily some witch hazel and aloe vera cleared it up in a few hours.

Haven't been game to try the straight since, maybe I'll give it another run on Sunday.

Always wanted to get a straight razor shave, but don't have the nuts to do it myself.

Good on you for having a crack.

Another product I can recommend is Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper. Great scent.

Just got hold of a bottle of Lucky Tiger so looking forward to giving that a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back