Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Quebec, Canada
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ac Milan
Just found this thread its awesome!

When im time poor I use my wet dry philishave at least once a week I get the merkur and proraso out - I like sharks for blades atm

Mar 12, 2008
Rehab
AFL Club
Essendon
I've tried just about every shaving product out there but for the last few years my rig has been:

Merkur double edge razor
nEWBARBERRAZOR.jpg

Israeli Super+ Platinum Blades
da_1_b.JPG

Proraso Shaving Cream
Proraso_scheerze_4ab6777ce6de8.jpg

Badger (not Boar!) Hair shaving brush
200631517380540224_Badger_Hair_Shaving_Brush.jpg

Wet shaving with all this kit provides the closest, least irritable and most economical shave I've ever had. I have not used a disposable cartridge razor and foam cans for years and would never use them again; they are for amateurs, and it's what they hand out to crims in prison! Once you've made the switch to double edge, you can't go back.

For some hard core shaving forums check these out:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/index.php

http://shaveblog.com/

Sorry to quote a post from 2009, but this post was the first time that I seriously considered wet shaving. I went looking for the thread because of a conversation on the Essendon Board (no peptides) with Doss Beerfish Orazio2Joe

Great thread. #Nostalgia

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Sorry to quote a post from 2009, but this post was the first time that I seriously considered wet shaving. I went looking for the thread because of a conversation on the Essendon Board (no peptides) with Doss Beerfish Orazio2Joe

Great thread. #Nostalgia
So after seriously considering it, did you actually take it up?

This thread has been my most useful contribution to BF. The other 16,400 posts of mine have been garbage.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Great thread.

I am currently using Astra blades in a Merkur 33C (I think).

Jack Black PreShaveCream

Proraso Soap
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Bluebeards Revenge are all in my rotation.

GFT Limes Postshave or Bluebeards Revenge postshave

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
Quality bump.

Did get myself a straight edged shavette + bowl/badger brush/soap etc.

Don't think I'm completely sold on straight edges, they're cool and all but also tricky, am considering picking up a DE instead. Has anyone tried both straight and double edges? Are DEs simpler/faster/easier? I know they're both better than cartridges, but I normally don't have time to use the cutthroat except on weekends when I don't have work or pressing social commitments, so end up going cartridge or (shudder) electric most days

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Good thread
I switched to DE a few years ago and have a Merkur 33c and super badger brush from mensbiz, but have only ever used Gillette 7 o'clock blades, Mitchell wool fat and geo f trumper coral skin food after my shave.
Anyone else used Gillette blades like I do and made a switch and to what?
Just reading back on my earlier posts from a few years ago. I've since changed blades, I'm using Derby's which seem to give me a better result than the Israeli Super+ Platinum I used to use.
I also recently came across this site which I thought was cool, close up photos showing the quality of razor blades.
http://sgwetshaving.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/double-edged-blades-under-the-microscope/

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Good thread
I switched to DE a few years ago and have a Merkur 33c and super badger brush from mensbiz, but have only ever used Gillette 7 o'clock blades, Mitchell wool fat and geo f trumper coral skin food after my shave.
I've got Gilette 7 o'clock blades in my arsenal but haven't used them yet.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Good thread

I have tried many blades over the last 18 months.

For the time being, I have settled on Astra Platinum DE blades in my Merkur 33C. It's been a good combo so far.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Aug 28, 2014
Singapore
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chelsea
Does anyone else's skin underneath their moustache get a bit flakey after a couple of weeks and when you shave the skin is red and it feels like it burns? It's happened to me for the past 4 years and I don't really know how to solve it. I have changed shavers and I have got aftershave balm for razorburn and all that but it doesn't really help at all.

Does anyone else's skin underneath their moustache get a bit flakey after a couple of weeks and when you shave the skin is red and it feels like it burns? It's happened to me for the past 4 years and I don't really know how to solve it. I have changed shavers and I have got aftershave balm for razorburn and all that but it doesn't really help at all.

do you exfoliate before shaving?

also, I heard steaming your face before shaving may help here as well.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne

What type of products are you using?

How many passes are you doing on the region?

I used to get bad razor burn on my neck, but once I switched to a premium badger brush and focused on improving my technique, this has all but disappeared.

Aug 28, 2014
Singapore
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chelsea
What type of products are you using?

How many passes are you doing on the region?

I used to get bad razor burn on my neck, but once I switched to a premium badger brush and focused on improving my technique, this has all but disappeared.
I am using L'Occitane Verdon Invigorating Shave (http://au.loccitane.com/verdon-invigorating-shave,23,1,8190,525708.htm#s=1297) and my shaver is Schick Hydro Mens Groomer (http://www.schick.com/mens-razors/schick-hydro-groomer)
I damp the face then apply the shaving cream with my hand.
I usually do 2 passes of the upper lip region with the grain.

caMoGFC

Bigfooty Super Elite
Jul 24, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

That sounds like you may have a mild case of dermatitis.

Go to your local GP and they should properly diagnose the problem and likely prescribe you with a cream to help get rid of it.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
I am using L'Occitane Verdon Invigorating Shave (http://au.loccitane.com/verdon-invigorating-shave,23,1,8190,525708.htm#s=1297) and my shaver is Schick Hydro Mens Groomer (http://www.schick.com/mens-razors/schick-hydro-groomer)
I damp the face then apply the shaving cream with my hand.
I usually do 2 passes of the upper lip region with the grain.

Here's my two sense worth.

2 passes is one too many with the Schick razor. As a D/E user, this would be equivalent of 10 passes.

I would also try a post shave balm on the area and applying the cream with a shaving brush.

Back