Shearer celebration.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Having an argument with some friends about what Alan Shearer's signature celebration was when he scored.

They say:
image.jpg

I say:

image.jpg

He definitely does both but which was his more notable.

NUFC Tiger

Tough one bok_party. In general, I'd say he did his salute (open palm) more in his younger years at the club (mid to late 90s) as well as for England; and then it morphed a bit to the point when he started to slow down. For what its worth, it was almost always the same arm.

I'd personally say his open palm salute is more iconic/commonly associated with him - but that's probably partly because he was generally more prolific before the 2000s (so the volume of goals decreased as his career started to wind down) as well as I'd argue he was a bigger 'star' during the 90s (as well as being one of the main men for England) than in his latter years.

For me though, that smile is the best bit of the celebration. I recall in his last Tyne Wear derby, the commentator quoting him saying "as he gets older, the feeling of scoring gets sweeter and sweeter".

Ah memories.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'd go the pointed finger, also never remembered him celebrating looking up. Arm went up, head went down.

It's been a long time coming but Shearer is finally getting a statue installed at St James' Park.

Interestingly, the sculptor seems to have gone for the pointed finger celebration and not the open palm.

Think the face could have done a bit better but not too bad otherwise - mostly resembles the great man I guess. :p
Alan-Shearer-statue.jpg

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
It's been a long time coming but Shearer is finally getting a statue installed at St James' Park.

Interestingly, the sculptor seems to have gone for the pointed finger celebration and not the open palm.

Think the face could have done a bit better but not too bad otherwise - mostly resembles the great man I guess. :p
Alan-Shearer-statue.jpg
It's official!!!!!!

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens

Alan-Shearer-statue.jpg

Looks familiar...

2B77207E00000578-0-image-a-9_1439908482318.jpg

027FFD9E00000514-0-image-a-13_1439908981263.jpg

But there can only be one person that knows the true answer; the man himself.

http://www.shearer9.com/celeb.shtml

Alan Shearer said:
Once you have scored don't go doing triple, or even quadruple jumps, simply get that right arm up (as shown above) and run away from the scene not letting anyone else get in your way.

Showing the palm of your hand or just one finger are both acceptable.

He did switch often. Open palm seems more iconic and less generic though. It also seems more.. Geordie, as if he's saying "Howay mate! That's a propa belta that!"

Looks familiar...

2B77207E00000578-0-image-a-9_1439908482318.jpg

027FFD9E00000514-0-image-a-13_1439908981263.jpg

But there can only be one person that knows the true answer; the man himself.

http://www.shearer9.com/celeb.shtml

He did switch often. Open palm seems more iconic and less generic though. It also seems more.. Geordie, as if he's saying "Howay mate! That's a propa belta that!"

Haha that's quite the A List of celebs who've followed the great man's style! Proper belta indeed! :D

Back