SHEEDS - AFL LEGEND

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily my most beloved football personality of my entire life... He's been there since before i can remember...

I was lucky enough to live next door to one of his relations by marrige and Friday night babysitter which gave me a small window to his life and somewhere have a photo of the great man in his recliner analyzing a game being televised, complete with notepads and a glass of red on a rare visit I was tagging along for but its on some usb stick I'm yet to find again but I'll find it soon...

He is very much the same person in his private life TBH...

Well done Sheeds... :clapping:

Congrats Sheeds! In one of those bizarro life occurances, Sheeds was sacked the same day we buried my old man & I got the news via a campaigner Hawks mate halfway through the wake, think he was trying to cheer me up!

Congrats Sheeds! In one of those bizarro life occurances, Sheeds was sacked the same day we buried my old man & I got the news via a campaigner Hawks mate halfway through the wake, think he was trying to cheer me up!
Poor timing from your mate....but if I’m totally honest, by that time it was good news!

Doesn’t diminish his earlier work though - he was a great coach for a long time. For people of my age, he is Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Sheeds. Thank you for igniting my love of this magnificent club.

And subsequently annoying the population of this board with my s**t memes

On a side note, and I have mentioned this for a few years now on the main board, how is Roger Merrett not a HoF member? 2 premierships as a dominant CHF, 300 game player, and the actual football contribution he provided to Brisbane when they were full of money-snatchers, has-beens and peripheral ‘footballers’. Has more cred than Neitz imo.

On a side note, and I have mentioned this for a few years now on the main board, how is Roger Merrett not a HoF member? 2 premierships as a dominant CHF, 300 game player, and the actual football contribution he provided to Brisbane when they were full of money-snatchers, has-beens and peripheral ‘footballers’. Has more cred than Neitz imo.

I have said for 3 or 4 years now I cant take the hall 100% seriously until Roger is in.

Champion at 2 clubs (Plus genuinely a 2 club person), throw in on top of the above that the Brisbane Football Club's Best and Fairest is named after him as well. The man named a legend last night ranks letting Roger go one of his biggest mistakes as a coach. How he is not in ahead of a lot of people currently in there baffles me.

I think Sheeds was a walk up Legend now that he has retired from coaching for the appropriate period. Well deserved and congratulations.

He's definitely a Bombers legend, but this is our perspective

Father of the GIANTS Becomes a Legend http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-05-29/father-of-the-giants-becomes-a-legend.mobileapp
I'll always appreciate him for what he has done for Essendon, but will also always appreciate him for everything he has done for Footy.

Despite currently working at Bomber land, I've always admired that he gets behind GWS and Richmond in the finals.

I recall in 2016 during the Prelim between GWS and the Doggies, seeing footage of Sheeds with GWS wearing the GWS scarf. He has loyalty to the clubs he's helped developed - he's an awesome ambassador of the game.

I have said for 3 or 4 years now I cant take the hall 100% seriously until Roger is in.

Champion at 2 clubs (Plus genuinely a 2 club person), throw in on top of the above that the Brisbane Football Club's Best and Fairest is named after him as well. The man named a legend last night ranks letting Roger go one of his biggest mistakes as a coach. How he is not in ahead of a lot of people currently in there baffles me.

I think Sheeds was a walk up Legend now that he has retired from coaching for the appropriate period. Well deserved and congratulations.
Well said mate. Rog was a bit of a talismanic figure in that he made others around him better. Really hope he gets the deserved recognition.

I’m also of the opinion that Mark Mercuri is as deserving as Nigel Lappin to be included as they were both equally as influential in multiple premierships. But that may be a more subjective view... I dunno...

Poor timing from your mate....but if I’m totally honest, by that time it was good news!

Doesn’t diminish his earlier work though - he was a great coach for a long time. For people of my age, he is Essendon.

yeah, we all knew it was coming, just a matter of when but as I'd been following the club since '79, I'd know little else so the news was received with mixed emotions. & as we now know, replacing a coach the likes of Sheeds is nigh on impossible.

I'll always appreciate him for what he has done for Essendon, but will also always appreciate him for everything he has done for Footy.

Despite currently working at Bomber land, I've always admired that he gets behind GWS and Richmond in the finals.

I recall in 2016 during the Prelim between GWS and the Doggies, seeing footage of Sheeds with GWS wearing the GWS scarf. He has loyalty to the clubs he's helped developed - he's an awesome ambassador of the game.
Yeah
I think people dont get how subtle he is at times. In 2016 he went public before our first finals campaign and said we should get Folau back. Everyone mocked it.
I think he was deflection with a silly but harmless story when the press were focussed on us. The Whitfield coke saga was breaking then as well.
Crazy like a fox in my view.
But I aslo recall 83,84 and 85. I was on the other side but I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at halftime in the Essendon rooms in 84. 5 goals down after a flogging in 83 he somehow turned it around and won the next two.

Last edited:
I’m also of the opinion that Mark Mercuri is as deserving as Nigel Lappin to be included as they were both equally as influential in multiple premierships. But that may be a more subjective view... I dunno...

This is the issue with the hall of fame, how does one player get in and another doesn't, ie how does Neitz get in over Roger Merrett? how do they decide between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back