Coaching Staff Former Coach James Hird

Do you think Hird should coach Essendon again?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Why not get Bomber Thompson back instead? He actually won premierships and could coach. We don't know if Hirdy could coach without Bomber guiding him.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
X8KLN01b8aGUJaftox1APmCTtvVAC5HbziVMeq5RRIg.jpg

Flanagan coached a Premiership for the Sharkies after being suspended.

Thinking of Hirdy, he'd probably start riding his pushy again and get knocked off and killed!!

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Have expressed my sympathy for Hird and disgust at his treatment many times....but this would be madness.

In terms of both his own mental health and the good of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
It will be argued that he needs this, he deserves this, and that only a return to the fold could save his mental health. Cue violins.
Who would mount that argument?

Ok Sheeds but he’s mad as a cut snake....what sane person would second it????

Sheeds is an old romantic.

Hird's mental health seems just fine. High pressure coaching environment probably not going to be helpful for his recovery anyway. Go listen to his podcast or buy some of his chocolate if you want to see what he's about and support him.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Sheeds is an old romantic.

Hird's mental health seems just fine. High pressure coaching environment probably not going to be helpful for his recovery anyway. Go listen to his podcast or buy some of his chocolate if you want to see what he's about and support him.

I don't think the issue was due to the pressure of coaching, I think he enjoyed that but I think the thing that pushed him to the edge was all the surrounding saga staff and how pissed he must have been that people around him had let him down.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I would love to see Hird back at the club in some capacity eventually. And Xavier Campbell has said as much before i think.

Maybe not in a matchday role for the seniors, but some of his best work as a senior coach came in deveoping younger guys like Hooker, Hurley, Heppell etc into guns.
Buddha Hocking (by all reports) has done a sterling job in charge of the James Hird academy, but maybe if he moves on then Hirdy would be a great replacement (the namesake aspect of the program notwithstanding).
Alternatively, I imagine the ladies in the bomber VFLW team would appreciate the opportunity for his input as well (again there is an existing coach so i am not putting anyone in the gun at the moment)

I’d probably either switch clubs or say goodbye to the game if he returned as coach. I loved him, I care about his well-being and wish him success and happiness, but I want to move on forever from his disastrous tenure. It was a very stressful time as a fan and we have a chance now for new chapters at the club.

Back