Sheedy Calls For 16 Players Per Side

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep...watching the theatrics of a boundary umpire going through this ridiculous time wasting routine like he’s preparing for a gold medal performance grinds my gears to the point of madness.

Meanwhile 34 players have all the time in the world to trot over, gather around, set up position, have a cup of tea and wait for the all important special moment of an throw in.

But this is what they are trained to do. The AFL like the look of this rubbish. Crazy.
Spot on Heardy, it is an embarrassment. Get rid of ruckmen having to nominate and train and tell the boundary umpires to hurry up and just throw the ******* thing in.

I would like to see it.

- A way to possibly reduce congestion.

- Can then trim every list by 2 people there are 36 spuds out, to alleviate the thinness of lists.

- Less Money being spent on player wages, and that money can be put elsewhere.

Trial it in Pre-season for a few years.

It really really isn't.

Nonsense. Swap in Jack Martin and Zac Williams for Hrovat/Wright and North is instantly a better team. Patton/Finlayson for Schache/Trengove etc etc.

We're recycling a lot of mature players because there aren't enough good kids to go around.

Nonsense. Swap in Jack Martin and Zac Williams for Hrovat/Wright and North is instantly a better team. Patton/Finlayson for Schache/Trengove etc etc.

We're recycling a lot of mature players because there aren't enough good kids to go around.

We had 16 teams for years and Richmond put out teams far far worse than anything there is today

As did other clubs at times.

We had 16 teams for years and Richmond put out teams far far worse than anything there is today

As did other clubs at times.

I keep hearing that the best teams were better than the reigning premiers, too.

The AFL is like a restaurant that dilutes its ingredients to serve more meals and ends up losing customers.

Perhaps if we ever end up with a truly even competition, it'll be kind of meh.

I would like to see it.

- A way to possibly reduce congestion.

- Can then trim every list by 2 people there are 36 spuds out, to alleviate the thinness of lists.

- Less Money being spent on player wages, and that money can be put elsewhere.

Trial it in Pre-season for a few years.
Hahaha...

Wait, what?

Are you for real? This makes no sense whatsoever...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hahaha...

Wait, what?

Are you for real? This makes no sense whatsoever...

Well I would assume if you were to shrink the playing list by 2 because you only have 16 on the pitch, then that would automatically exclude 2 people from every team, and then there are 2 less wages to pay.

But if that wasn't the case and everything was staying the same except the numbers on the pitch, then yeah, disregard the final 2 points.

Would still like to see 16 on the field for a couple of pre-seasons to see if anything changes.

Well I would assume if you were to shrink the playing list by 2 because you only have 16 on the pitch, then that would automatically exclude 2 people from every team, and then there are 2 less wages to pay.

But if that wasn't the case and everything was staying the same except the numbers on the pitch, then yeah, disregard the final 2 points.

Would still like to see 16 on the field for a couple of pre-seasons to see if anything changes.
How do the players wages affect the current game though?

At the end of the day it's pretty simple. Leave it to the players to organise themselves for all throw ins and ball ups around the ground. If a third player "accidentally" goes up, stiff s**t, a free kick is given and the players spread and open up the ground again.

Generally, the only time the game becomes congested is when the umpire asks for the ruck to nominate. The whole process, especially for boundary throw ins, could
take anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds. These footballers are pretty fit guys these days. Any player within say 100 to 150 metres of the contest, could make it there before there before the ball hits the ground.

Leave this zone and reduced players s**t to the under tens.

How do the players wages affect the current game though?

At the end of the day it's pretty simple. Leave it to the players to organise themselves for all throw ins and ball ups around the ground. If a third player "accidentally" goes up, stiff s**t, a free kick is given and the players spread and open up the ground again.

Generally, the only time the game becomes congested is when the umpire asks for the ruck to nominate. The whole process, especially for boundary throw ins, could
take anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds. These footballers are pretty fit guys these days. Any player within say 100 to 150 metres of the contest, could make it there before there before the ball hits the ground.

Leave this zone and reduced players s**t to the under tens.

Fair comment and well articulated. I still like to see it over a pre-season or 2, but that is just my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The devil is in the detail ... 16 on field.. and how many on the interchange bench? How many rotations? It would help a bit but the zeitgeist of the current game means it really just changes it from 36 around the ball to 32. It still will be a mess unless other changes are implemented.
Start by calling and using the rules we have... any player the touchs and hinders a player after a mark will be penalised. Its got back to a player being infringed by players not even in the contest for the ball.

Take one player out the square from each side at ball ups to try to help centre breaks. Make the square bigger. Sure have start position before a ball up. Reduce interchange to 3 interchanges for each player , or perhaps 10 a quarter .. and it doesn't rollover.

..but what would really help is a compulsory Man on Man at any stop play. as soon as one side gets the ball ..that side should see players running and spreading and dragging opponents with him.. not just hovering to clog up the kicking lanes.

People looking for just one solution will be disappointed. There is not just one.

I use to watch 6 games a weekend. Now barely 2 grab my whole attention.

The game is an awful place. I hate change for change’s sake, but the body of evidence over the past few seasons is indisputable. The game (dees and eagles aside currently) is woeful viewing.

Take one player out the square from each side at ball ups to try to help centre breaks. Make the square bigger. Sure have start position before a ball up. Reduce interchange to 3 interchanges for each player , or perhaps 10 a quarter .. and it doesn't rollover.

As well as 16 a side, these concepts have merit, especially restricting the number of interchanges for each player. The number to be determined, but perhaps 4, on average 1 per quarter, [but not restricted to that]. EG 0 -1st qtr, 1 in each of the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, 2 in the 4th qtr.

Last edited:
I reckon we should go for 15.5 players per side, that way Jarryd Blairs trade stocks would rise like a cow paddy on a hot day!
Caleb "0.4" Daniel doesn't like this

They're all on insanity pills...and i thought i was crazy? The one thing that has caused this mess is the coaches. I'll ask you all now: What prevents a coach from sleeping well at night?
Answer TURNOVERS! They all have nightmares about turnovers, they don't want a free flowing game, they don't want a true contest, Buckley basically said that himself after he was horrified at the scoreline in Brisbane. Melbourne are the only team worth watching currently. (the only thing that will save this "sick" season is a Melbourne v Richmond Grand Final.) Coaches don't want their players taking any risks, they don't have enough faith in their players being able to pull it off, instead they create the stoppage and take it from there. Newman highlighted a perfect example of it last night on the Footy Show, players are s**t scared of trying to pin point a bloke 40 -50 metres down the ground...it's the coaches way of saying "bottle it all up, none of you blokes can kick or use both sides of your body". Run and carry? WTF is that say the players!

I would like to talk to Sheeds about this:

No one in centre square until ball is cleared after each goal.
Two players from each team in their respective 50 metre arc at all times ( This could be just one)
Reduce interchange to 60 maybe. No interchange allowed until 5 mins into each quarter except for injuries
Increase marking distance to 20 metres
For every free kick paid ..the ball must be KICKED by the player who earned the free kick!
Kicking backwards still allowed, but PLAY ON is the call even if ball is marked!

*One from left field that just entered my mad mind. Kick outs from the goal square after a behind is scored must clear the arc!

Open this game up FFS and let them play football, this competition has a lot athletes running around masquerading as footballers..

Personally i think it's a s**t idea.

Having a player or 2 always anchored inside 50 would have more of an effect on congestion.

Say the ball is at half back and you have 2 players inside your 50, you then need a few link up options between half back and your 50 otherwise you're just kicking to open space.

Nothing worse sitting at a game and seeing all 36 players in 1 half of the ground, reducing the head count on field to 32 just means there will be 32 players around the ball, won't really have much of an effect imo.

Last edited:
As well as 16 a side, these concepts have merit, especially restricting the number of interchanges for each player. The number to be determined, but perhaps 4, on average 1 per quarter, [but not restricted to that]. EG 0 -1st qtr, 1 in each of the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, 2 in the 4th qtr.

When you take in between period of play into account they would get plenty of rest.
The issue I have with thinking tiredness will be the solver of ills... how long does it take to get tired. 3/4 of game?. KB goes on and on about it but even if this does solve it.. it means having to endure 3 quarters a of muck till they become too tired to run. I have issues think that a tired player will play to a higher standard as well... so its one thing we can do ..but one thing alone will not solve it.

We can not put the genie back in the bottle. Players have been educated in how to play a method to protector their vulnerabilities...and some will not really like 1 on 1. Coaches too will do all they can to keep with what they think works.

There has to be some method of keeping the players spread out... how to do it without chains on their legs is the question.

They're all on insanity pills...and i thought i was crazy? The one thing that has caused this mess is the coaches. I'll ask you all now: What prevents a coach from sleeping well at night?
Answer TURNOVERS! They all have nightmares about turnovers, they don't want a free flowing game, they don't want a true contest, Buckley basically said that himself after he was horrified at the scoreline in Brisbane. Melbourne are the only team worth watching currently. (the only thing that will save this "sick" season is a Melbourne v Richmond Grand Final.) Coaches don't want their players taking any risks, they don't have enough faith in their players being able to pull it off, instead they create the stoppage and take it from there. Newman highlighted a perfect example of it last night on the Footy Show, players are s**t scared of trying to pin point a bloke 40 -50 metres down the ground...it's the coaches way of saying "bottle it all up, none of you blokes can kick or use both sides of your body". Run and carry? WTF is that say the players!

I would like to talk to Sheeds about this:

No one in centre square until ball is cleared after each goal.
Two players from each team in their respective 50 metre arc at all times ( This could be just one)
Reduce interchange to 60 maybe. No interchange allowed until 5 mins into each quarter except for injuries
Increase marking distance to 20 metres
For every free kick paid ..the ball must be KICKED by the player who earned the free kick!
Kicking backwards still allowed, but PLAY ON is the call even if ball is marked!

*One from left field that just entered my mad mind. Kick outs from the goal square after a behind is scored must clear the arc!

Open this game up FFS and let them play football, this competition has a lot athletes running around masquerading as footballers..
Requiring the kick in to clear the 50m arc means 34 players would contest a narrow strip of ground between the arc and the kickers maximum distance. That's a GTFO.

Just introduce a second ball at random. That will have them splaying like seagulls.

Maybe it could be at the behest of a member of the crowd. Especially chosen on a per game basis by the dickhead at Etihad who runs the pregame and half time s**t. You know that guy? We have all HEARD him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back