boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
So Kevin Sheedy will be appointed to the board effective immediately, replacing Katie Lio and standing for re-election in December.

Does this stink to any one else? Replacing a member elected board member and doing it with someone the board knows can't be beaten in an election? Feels very classic Essendon insular move to me.

mike14

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
So it's not just me
Nope.
And I'm not eve saying that having Sheedy on the Board is necessarily a bad move (except that it is possible his voice will carry too much weight in the room), it's the way we've gone about it as you stated above, and the fact that instead of looking for something new or different we've gone with the simplest, populist option because "we are Essendon."

It's also funny that the announcement email states that Sheeds "won't be involved in day-to-day operations of the footy department," but he will be available in a mentoring capacity to Ben Rutten whenever Ben requires it." Surely mentoring the coach counts as being involved in footy department ops? We now have a situation where our Head Coach is being 'mentored' by a club legend who sits on the Board, meaning their is direct link between the two. Is Rutten meant to treat a Sheedy tip as a suggestion from a mentor or as direction from the Board?

Runk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
I get what you're saying and the cynic in me agrees, but honestly, I don't mind it & I'm kind of happy to see him back.
His kind of knowledge & experience is something I'd like to think we can utilise and hope we do.
I was more upset over Sean Wellman's ticket of 'I am a past Premiership player, that is all, so vote for me.'

Positive vibes from me.

andleanback

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s a great move. I don’t think it will be long term, but I think it’s important to have someone there who knows football, the club and understands the politics involved. From my understanding Brasher asked sheedy to join after Lio informed Brasher she’d be resigning. The next 2-3 years are critical to what happens to the club in the next 50 years. Do we wallow in mediocrity for half a century like Melbourne or do we finally move forward into a new era of success.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I get what you're saying and the cynic in me agrees, but honestly, I don't mind it & I'm kind of happy to see him back.
His kind of knowledge & experience is something I'd like to think we can utilise and hope we do.
I was more upset over Sean Wellman's ticket of 'I am a past Premiership player, that is all, so vote for me.'

Positive vibes from me.
You were more upset that someone put their hand up and ran for a member elected position then the club shoving someone in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

andleanback

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You were more upset that someone put their hand up and ran for a member elected position then the club shoving someone in?
It’s not just ‘someone’ the club is shoving in though. It’s sheedy, probably the most influential figure in the history of the club. I’d rather him be on the board than in marketing.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
It’s not just ‘someone’ the club is shoving in though. It’s sheedy, probably the most influential figure in the history of the club. I’d rather him be on the board than in marketing.
Why? What has he done in the past decade to suggest he still should have any role? Runk post tickled me because Sheeds campaign will basically be "I'm Kevin Sheedy past premiership coach vote for me" except this time the clubs showed it's hand and openly told members to vote for him.

Its not even subtle.

Runk

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Looking back at that board election it rankled me that a board member like Paul Cousins should lose their spot because he wasn't a past player.
That said I'm still digesting the news and on my first coffee. Right now I think placing someone of Sheedy's ilk is a a good move.

Also NEVER claim I tickled you.

Ew.

i’m more concerned about what i’m supposed to do with all the vote Jmoo 2020 paraphernalia i’ve produced.
Have you got t-shirts? What size?

Remove this Banner Ad