TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
He’s not back to coach but to help out. How could that be any worse than Balme going back to Richmond? Some of the reaction has been unnecessarily alarmist.

He will provide mentoring to coaches if called upon. So seem to assume if coaches don’t ask they won’t receive any. Nice to offer and not sure how that’s a bad thing. Surely he’d have some thing to offer in regards to dealing with people.

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s not back to coach but to help out. How could that be any worse than Balme going back to Richmond? Some of the reaction has been unnecessarily alarmist.

He will provide mentoring to coaches if called upon. So seem to assume if coaches don’t ask they won’t receive any. Nice to offer and not sure how that’s a bad thing. Surely he’d have some thing to offer in regards to dealing with people.
Sheedy doesn't seem like the type to quietly operate in the background.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
From that age article/Sheedy interview.... sounds like more than a casual mentorship? Even if it is he's not downplaying it before actually talking to Rutten - probably more appropriate....

"Until I go there and go through the football department I cannot say too much – I have not been in the footy department since 2007.

"[It is hard to offer an opinion on Rutten] until I go and have a look and sit down with Sean Wellman and meet the coach and the coaches, whoever they appoint. I am going in cold.

"I don't know him [Rutten], I have met him twice but you don't know someone after meeting them twice.
That's the part of the article where it felt to me like Sheedy and Brasher have their wires crossed. Brasher saying Sheeds wouldn't be involved and then this from Sheedy, sounds like Sheeds needs clarity about his role.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

How is an ex-coach who has had no on field success in the past 20 years and no experience in his role worse than a ex-player joining a club in a role he has experience and recent success in?

Last edited:

joey_jo_jo

Draftee
Jun 25, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
posted this question to RoCo in the Footyology podcast thread but thought I may as well repost here:

RoCo I dont have a twitter account but like to lurk sometimes so thought Id ask you here about one of your recent posts.

Why do you think the announcement of Sheedy as a new board member is a good thing? Its not consistent with what you have been saying the last few months. It smack of the classic essendon short term thinking/quick fix/messiah complex attitude that has engulfed this club for the last 20 years.

And his comments last night being supportive of Dodoro and the state of the list also seem diametrically opposed to what you have been saying.

Personally I think as good as sheeds was he has some responsibility for the downward trajectory of the club too. stayed on way too long, and went for quick fix trades instead of regenerating the list. It set us back years.

I also dont like that he is meant to be a "mentor" to rutten and is talking about us "needing to stop copying richmond and have our own identity". It feels alot like the club is jumping at shadows again instead of backing a new coach, this feels alot like history repeating with the way we treated knights /worsfold, not saying either of them were the right or wrong choice nor do I think Rutten is or isnt but we dont even give them a chance to put their plans into motion. SLightest noise from past players/influential supporters and we toss it all in the bin for next shiny new object. If the hawks/tigers/cats leaders acted the way ours do Clarkson/Bomber/Hardwick would all have been out the door within a year or two of their coaching careers.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
He’s on the Board not coaching panel
Yeah I believe I covered that when I said he is joining a role he has no experience in.

So I'll ask again.

How is an ex-coach who has had no on field success in the past 20 years and no experience in his role worse than a ex-player joining a club in a role he has experience and recent success in?

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Yeah I believe I covered that when I said he is joining a role he has no experience in.

So I'll ask again.

What has no coaching success in the past 20 years got to do with it? He’s not helping with tactics. He’s offering to be a mentor if required, that’s just one aspect of him being a board member. As for no experience, I assume you mean as a board member? So are you saying an ex player from another club with board experience would be better? If so that’s debatable. Who knows what kind of experience another ex player may have had...not all the same across all boards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the best sort of advice Sheedy would be able to offer would be around man management and messaging, which tbh sound like areas that need to be edited anyway. Black and white is good but you need to motivate people and inspire them too.

I think Shiel, Smith and Stewart played under Sheedy at the start so there’s a different link there too.

Arctic fox

It's only a game
Mar 22, 2017
Out west
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Looking from the player's perspective, I think they can get more pep in their step knowing he's there watching from above (not that above).
Mentoring with a BELIEF attitude hopefully will give the club and players confidence into a winning way which I think is sadly missing atm.

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
What has no coaching success in the past 20 years got to do with it? He’s not helping with tactics. He’s offering to be a mentor if required, that’s just one aspect of him being a board member. As for no experience, I assume you mean as a board member? So are you saying an ex player from another club with board experience would be better? If so that’s debatable. Who knows what kind of experience another ex player may have had...not all the same across all boards.
I'll answer your question when you answer mine.

How is Balme going back into a role he has relevant recent successful experience with worse than Sheedy going into a role with no relevant relevant successful experience?

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
I'll answer your question when you answer mine.

How is Balme going back into a role he has relevant recent successful experience with worse than Sheedy going into a role with no relevant relevant successful experience?
I’d say not much difference. They’re not asking Sheedy to do stuff that’s not part of his expertise. He is an expert on managing people, handling players, could give advice on coaching/reporting structures dealing with coterie, sponsors etc. What do you think Wellman does on the Board?

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I’d say not much difference. They’re not asking Sheedy to do stuff that’s not part of his expertise. He is an expert on managing people, handling players, could give advice on coaching/reporting structures dealing with coterie, sponsors etc. What do you think Wellman does on the Board?
:tearsofjoy: yeah ok.

From what I've read he interacts and has a say in the football department.

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Recent successful experience?

No. He does not.

Mick Malthouse has experience, would you be onboard signing him up?
You don’t need to be a recent successful coach to be on the board or mentor/consult. What experience did Wellman have? Or Madden... or any others before? On other teams..are ex players/coaches recently won prems?

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
You don’t need to be a recent successful coach to be on the board or mentor/consult. What experience did Wellman have? Or Madden... or any others before? On other teams..are ex players/coaches recently won prems?
I'm still not entirely sure why you kept mentioning Wellman. He was elected to the board by the members, not hand picked by the board to appease the masses and defend the list manager. I'm not convinced at all he should have a say in the football department, if you want me to tee off about that I'm more than happy to.

You don't need to be any of those to be on the board, never said you did. But if we're going to appoint someone based on their "experience and football knowledge" is it to much to ask for it to be recent successful experience or knowledge?

Last edited:

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it's worth listening to Brasher's SEN interview. I don't have time to transcribe it properly right now but he talks about people on boards who might say five things, two are sh*t, two are boring run of the mill, and then that one thing that no one else would've thought of. And those sort of people drive you mad but they're worth their weight in gold.

And he said bringing Sheedy on to the board to 'connect Essendon with Essendon' was one of the reasons but it's about 4th in the list of priorities. There was more but I don't remember it all.

Remove this Banner Ad