Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
You sure that % figure for EFC is correct?
It's a chanel 9 article referencing the AFL i think so they should be technically correct. I imagine they will be misleading in some way because of the different types of memberships etc bit like the unemployment figures :)

Ether way Richmond holding on 100k is massive and Carlton going past us in any way will get attention.

Edit: here's the article

Last edited:
This was from 3 weeks ago if anyone's interested....

Full list and breakdown of the 2020 Membership numbers:

1. West Coast Eagles: 100,776, up 10.3% from 2019's 90,445 total.

2. Richmond: 100,420, down 0.3% from 2019's 103,358 total.

3. Collingwood: 76,862, down 10.9% from 2019's 85,226 total

4. Hawthorn: 76,343, down 6.4% from 2019's 81,211 total.

5. Carlton: 67,035, up 4.1% from 2019's 64,269 total.

6. Essendon: 66,686, down 26.5% from 2019's 84,237 total

7. Geelong: 60,066, down 6.7% from 2019's 65,063 total.

8. Adelaide: 54,891, down 17.4% from 2019's 64,437 total.

9. Fremantle: 51,577, up 0.3% from 2019's 51,431 total.

10. St Kilda: 48,588, up 11.4% from 2019's 43,038 total.

11. Sydney: 48,322, down 28.1 % from 2019's 61,912 total.

12. Port Adelaide: 46,820, down 11% from 2019's 51,951 total.

13. Melbourne: 40,571, down 29.2% from 2019's tally: 52,421 total.

14. Western Bulldogs: 38,876, down 14.1% from 2019's 44,373 total.

15. North Melbourne: 38,667, down 9.7% from 2019's 42,419 total.

16. GWS Giants: 30,841, up 2.4% from 2019's 30,109 total.

17. Brisbane Lions: 29,277, up 4.2% from 2019's 28,023 total.

18. Gold Coast Suns: 16,236 up 15.9% from 2019's 13,649 total.

2020 total: 992,854, down 6.1% from 2019's 1,057,572.
clock is surely ticking on Campbell.

Football is not looking good
players leaving
And membership takes a massive hit.

If Rutten is still scared of press conferences maybe Sheeds could take them? That'll give him a little more of an in
Lol, you reckon sheeds would be intimidated by the press? 😂. I could just imagine these young journal's trying to rip into him after a loss. That would be interesting viewing, would be so funny to watch.

clock is surely ticking on Campbell.

Football is not looking good
players leaving
And membership takes a massive hit.
Somebody has to be under pressure and of it's not Campbell then who?

AsI've said elsewhere the screws look like they are being tightened by the board. Personally i thought he should have left when he had the chance last year.

Hopefully they are not trying to work out round 2 of JK for their staff because they would be screwed.

26.5% of 84,237 is 22323 this would mean that mean that our membership was down to 61,914 and not 66,686 as quoted.

At a glance, Melbourne and Sydney are also way out.

Membership numbers are misleading in a normal year without understanding revenue.

I’d be interested this year whether some clubs didn’t offer money back and therefore didn’t get a large drop. Or offered it and still counted those they refunded as members etc etc.

66,000 members really isn't a bad number for us, I reckon there was a lot of bullshit last year in the push to 80,000 and as such the decline probably is not as bad as what it looks. The real indicator will be whether we improve on 66k next year or continue to go backwards, I'm tipping the latter.

FFS - I was well on board to give the guy a token position - much like the "marketing" position

But going straight to the board leaves a bad taste. it only staisfies the mouth breather supporters that Sheedy is back and will make everything all ok again...

i thought Dodoro always said Sheedy told him to recruit the spine and build a team around that?

edit: just looked it up and yeah here we go:

“Sheeds' (former coach Kevin Sheedy) always taught me when I first started in recruiting was get your talls right, get your spine right because it's the hardest part of your recruiting," Dodoro said.”

interesting read this one with everyone’s favourite hindsight:

this bit in particularly:

“The two years we lost our selections were going to be anchored towards midfielders.

"But unfortunately we lost those picks and we changed tact."”
The phrase is to change tack, not tact. I hope that was just the reporter misquoting.

Also yeah I don’t know what I’m doing lurking here either. I’ll leave you all alone now

The phrase is to change tack, not tact. I hope that was just the reporter misquoting.

Also yeah I don’t know what I’m doing lurking here either. I’ll leave you all alone now
Nah stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membership numbers are misleading in a normal year without understanding revenue.

I’d be interested this year whether some clubs didn’t offer money back and therefore didn’t get a large drop. Or offered it and still counted those they refunded as members etc etc.
There is no reference to revenue. The numbers in the article refer to membership numbers so therefore the percentages quoted don't match up with the numbers as they are incorrect.

Should have stopped at Sheedy defends dodoro...but I didn't

"New Essendon board member Kevin Sheedy has heavily backed controversial long-term list manager Adrian Dodoro and said it's time for the club to reassert its identity after unashamedly trying to be more like Richmond."

But Sheedy, who coached the Bombers to four premierships and will join the board next month, said Dodoro was the right person to lead the list rebuild and return the club to a position of respect.

"I think Adrian has been a very, very good recruiting officer," said Sheedy, who was frustrated at the inertia of the club he left in 2007.

"Do you recruit people for structure or talent? I don't know the answer to that. It is an interesting question.

"We have to prepare ourselves for the best Essendon draft ever and they [draftees] have not played a game this year [in Victoria], like none, because of COVID so it is going to be difficult"

Gulp

Next he will wear a make ess great again hat
******* lol

It's an interesting time. Not sure what they teach in marketing school about recovering a loss of faith in a product but I imagine it's hard work.

No matter how hard the club hypes big signings (and everything else) and the future blah blah they were always going to be accountable for a bad product at some stage.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on lapsed memberships / how many years do members take to rejoin etc. One thing is for sure - now is the absolute worst time to have families weigh up the value of their discretionary spend on club memberships (and associated costs of going to games etc).

They will need to market the hell out if this one. Sheedy burning up the wires is probably the start.

Nah stay.
I like Sheedy BTW. Huge fan of what he has done as a coach and the work he did after to promote the growth of the league to become a national sport.

Not sure about his return though. The way it is put - that he has no official role in the footy department but will provide mentoring if called upon - that seems to put some pressure on your senior coach, who has just emerged from some kind of mentored year under Woosh. I mean, if things go poorly for example and Essendon have a whole bunch of losses early I don’t think the media will take long to start asking whether Rutten has taken advantage of the offered mentoring. None of it really feels like clean air.

mind you, everything could go great and then all decisions however odd become justified. So who really knows. My team might even get it together. Dreaming is nice and I’m short on alternatives

It's an interesting time. Not sure what they teach in marketing school about recovering a loss of faith in a product but I imagine it's hard work.

No matter how hard the club hypes big signings (and everything else) and the future blah blah they were always going to be accountable for a bad product at some stage.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on lapsed memberships / how many years do members take to rejoin etc. One thing is for sure - now is the absolute worst time to have families weigh up the value of their discretionary spend on club memberships (and associated costs of going to games etc).

They will need to market the hell out if this one. Sheedy burning up the wires is probably the start.
You'd have to assume that it will be even worse I reckon. Lots would have rolled over and hung in this year but will be more unlikely to do so. It is actually pretty grim.

Hopefully they are not trying to work out round 2 of JK for their staff because they would be screwed.

26.5% of 84,237 is 22323 this would mean that mean that our membership was down to 61,914 and not 66,686 as quoted.

At a glance, Melbourne and Sydney are also way out.

Looks like they divided the 2020 membership number by the delta (increase/decrease), not the 2019 number. * me.

Why? What has he done in the past decade to suggest he still should have any role? Runk post tickled me because Sheeds campaign will basically be "I'm Kevin Sheedy past premiership coach vote for me" except this time the clubs showed it's hand and openly told members to vote for him.

Its not even subtle.
It should read ' I'm Kevin Sheedy who lost more prelim finals than Paris Hilton has lost virginities'.

Or maybe it's the first step of getting back to paradise.
HIRDY TO COACH AGAIN, LET IT HAPPEN.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back