Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

“Even though he said at the end 'I don't know', that is a club belief, yes, that the situation they put the players in, the contract extensions, playing players out of loyalty even when they weren't in the best form, they believe they've become soft in that sense”.

Essentially we haven’t been doing our utmost to win games of footy since the saga.

The handling of the saga players was always going to be very difficult. It's hard to criticize the club for that i reckon.

Given their ever dwindling numbers and the returned loyalty from the club, all bets should now be off with any soft selection policies (and with Hooker that looked like the case). Outside of that the lack of a hard winning edge may explain why some in their prime may want out - but the saga can't be used as an excuse in any way moving forward.

Hearing about the president calling disgruntled players gives me no confidence in our player management though. We need to know our personnel well and have a better read on them than that (plus Daniher going to Harley as well). I thought that player retention and relationship management was supposed to be one of Dan Richardsons strong points?

The handling of the saga players was always going to be very difficult. It's hard to criticize the club for that i reckon.

Given their ever dwindling numbers and the returned loyalty from the club, all bets should now be off with any soft selection policies (and with Hooker that looked like the case). Outside of that the lack of a hard winning edge may explain why some in their prime may want out - but the saga can't be used as an excuse in any way moving forward.

Hearing about the president calling disgruntled players gives me no confidence in our player management though. We need to know our personnel well and have a better read on them than that (plus Daniher going to Harley as well). I thought that player retention and relationship management was supposed to be one of Dan Richardsons strong points?
I think you’re right that it’s concerning the President has to do that. However I think it’s a good sign he realised an issue and is doing something about it. What will be interesting in the immediate future is if he’s identified an issue in that area, what action does he take in that department.

Which therefore explains a degree of sucking up to coteries and hoping like hell the pokies reopen.
Ironically I watched an anti-gambling advertisement spoken by an Essendon player this morning - can’t recall who.

I’m embarrassed about the club’s involvement in pokies. You can’t say you’re there for the community and then be earning millions off of pokies.

End of rant.

Ironically I watched an anti-gambling advertisement spoken by an Essendon player this morning - can’t recall who.

I’m embarrassed about the club’s involvement in pokies. You can’t say you’re there for the community and then be earning millions off of pokies.

End of rant.
Bit of a rock and a hard place situation. I don't think the club wants to rely on pokies, they've done a bit to diversify their revenue streams. But can we really afford to get out of it atm?

I'm now interested in what fluff pieces of harmony the club will roll out to its supporters now thatthe truth is coming out in spades.

Hopefully a bit more honesty will come into play, but knowing us, we will hear what a great job the club has done in shaking hands of the leaving players.

I'm now interested in what fluff pieces of harmony the club will roll out to its supporters now thatthe truth is coming out in spades.

Hopefully a bit more honesty will come into play, but knowing us, we will hear what a great job the club has done in shaking hands of the leaving players.

I hope they say nothing straight away but when the dust settles they simply say those who did not want to be here are gone have gone and we are just working on forging a new future.

He failed his first test not being able to retain either joe or Adam.
dont reckon Eddie would have lost 2 players they wanted to keep.
surely a sign dodoro, Campbell, Richardson and rutten may all have tenuous tenures.

He failed his first test not being able to retain either joe or Adam.
dont reckon Eddie would have lost 2 players they wanted to keep.
surely a sign dodoro, Campbell, Richardson and rutten may all have tenuous tenures.
i'd have the former 3 writing up why they think going all in for Shiel and holding firm on Daniher were acceptable decisions for people in their positions.

Rutten was snr asst until now, so gets a pass.
is on the clock now. By 2023 should be getting off the bottom. 2024/5 getting closer to top 6 .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another day another Sheedy headline
Seems to be on message. Probably rolled him out because half the population doesn't watch 20 minute videos from the President but they'll listen to a sound bite on radio.

I wonder if this is what he was referring to when he said he would have a voice and act in the interests of the club before the AFL or anyone else..

The AFL's control over the clubs has intensified given it owns its newest teams the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney and has full financial jurisdiction over at least another eight. Goyder is only the fifth commission chairman in the history of the AFL whereas club presidents turn over at a significantly higher rate.

Five of the so-called wealthier clubs West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Essendon have banded together over the AFL's decision to significantly reduce dividends next year to the richer clubs. McLachlan's threat to no longer cover the total player payments to those clubs - while the clubs have no say in those CBA negotiations - has sparked mutinous talk, which could again divide the presidents at a time they move for stronger and better-credentialled commissioners.

The CEO, who entertained stepping down at the end of 2020 but has indicated he will remain to steer the game out of the crisis, has largely justified the new pecking order in which he is rarely challenged or checked.

But whether McLachlan can continue to work effectively at his current frenetic pace is a bigger question.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale remains the firm favourite at club level and across the competition in terms of heir apparent and yet no one at head office seems interested in working to influence or enhance an effective succession plan. Perhaps this is because McLachlan has other ideas, although his attempt to promote Essendon boss Xavier Campbell hit a hurdle.

Very intriguing.

i'd have the former 3 writing up why they think going all in for Shiel and holding firm on Daniher were acceptable decisions for people in their positions.

Rutten was snr asst until now, so gets a pass.
is on the clock now. By 2023 should be getting off the bottom. 2024/5 getting closer to top 6 .
Dodoro and Campbell have had plenty of chances.
i reckon the bombers membership will drop further if tangible change does not occur.
dodoro especially cannot be allowed to survive because sheedy is on the board- without being elected.
hows that for transparency.
our senior coach was appointed without the job being advertised.
we are a poorly governed club who reek of jobs for the boys.

I wonder if this is what he was referring to when he said he would have a voice and act in the interests of the club before the AFL or anyone else..

Very intriguing.
It’s intriguing that Wilson can write so many words to say so little.

WTF was that article?

Interesting listening to the radio rounds this morning, both Sheedy and Lloyd repeatedly referred to how many questions Brasher is asking of people within the club. And outside the club too, Lloyd added.

Who knows if we’ll get one of the much talked-about ‘reviews’ but at least somebody is starting to ask questions, I guess.

Interesting listening to the radio rounds this morning, both Sheedy and Lloyd repeatedly referred to how many questions Brasher is asking of people within the club. And outside the club too, Lloyd added.

Who knows if we’ll get one of the much talked-about ‘reviews’ but at least somebody is starting to ask questions, I guess.
Yep doesn’t surprise me. I think he might be on a mission. Sure it’s a fair enough question to ask why now and not 3 or 6 years ago. But I guess I don’t know what he did back then and better late than never.

Yep doesn’t surprise me. I think he might be on a mission. Sure it’s a fair enough question to ask why now and not 3 or 6 years ago. But I guess I don’t know what he did back then and better late than never.

I’d say (1) time - he’s always had a lot of business commitments and said he has now stepped away from them, and (2) ‘jurisdiction’... as a board member I really think you wouldn’t feel it’s your place to be nosing around in the club’s operations... particularly as somebody without a football background.

In his position now I think it’s be more ‘we’ll I’m the *in boss now and it’s my place to do whatever I think I need to.’

He also seems to be ripping into it immediately which I think is a little bit of an indirect commentary on what Tanner was (not) doing.

It was interesting too that when they asked Sheedy what he would actually bring to the board, he continually referenced that it was his job to work for and advise Brasher. They were asking about him working with Rutten etc but he kept bringing it back to working with Brasher. So maybe there’s a little more Sheedy coming onto the Board than just populism. They pointed out that Wellman and Madden were already there, to which Sheedy replied those two hadn’t coached or run a football dept.

Dodoro and Campbell have had plenty of chances.
i reckon the bombers membership will drop further if tangible change does not occur.
dodoro especially cannot be allowed to survive because sheedy is on the board- without being elected.
hows that for transparency.
our senior coach was appointed without the job being advertised.
we are a poorly governed club who reek of jobs for the boys.
Little appoints Campbell
Campbell appoints Richardson
Richardson/Campbell appoint Rutten
Tanner is replaced via board appointment
Board brings Sheedy in.
Sheedy backs Dodoro, touts bringing back Hird

we're a bad soap opera.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back