Sheedy to Coach West Sydney!

Remove this Banner Ad

nearly choked on my dinner when i read this. checked the date and it's not april fools day ....

it's very left-field, and it'll be interesting to see if he's the coach come round 1 of 2012 or whenever the team is slated to enter the competition. sheedy will be 64.

at best, i can see him being similar to jack cahill was at port - something of a nostalgic appointment and a link to a non-existent past. give him 2-3 years and then replace him with a more legitimate coach as the side begins to build towards being a finals chance

on the other hand, one of sheedy's weaknesses was that he never seemed to accept bottoming out. this could be a strength in the western sydney market where the team really has to be competitive from day 1. while the gold coast is recruiting primarily youth, western sydney under sheedy will probably look to throw together a competitive team of drifters

but you could see the gold coast winning their first flag under mckenna. it's hard to imagine western sydney doing the same under sheedy

This was posted last year as the start of a thread. Obviously it missed the mark on the Senior Coach. Who do posters think will be the other appointments over the comming year?

DMJR
BigFooty Member

Sydney

Personnel for the new West Sydney Football Club
Whilst the hype is presently with GC17 and its possible personnel and player set up, most would be aware that the AFL has already registered the business of ‘Western Sydney Football Club Ltd’. Consequently, it is an interesting exercise to hypothesise on who might at this early stage, be targeted by the new NSW side. However, two facts stand-out before doing this; firstly the Gold Coast franchise will probably get first pick of key personnel purely because it is first in line; and secondly, Dale Holmes and his crew at the AFL NSW/ACT will be pivotal to the early stages of set-up.

So who would take up such a daunting task? The main criteria are obviously proven success and expertise, but local knowledge of Sydney/NSW or even some link, would assist in a number of ways (marketing etc) in getting the acceptance that this new team will need quickly.

Board
The Initial Board would seek to have people with a mixture of business, football and ‘local’ knowledge. That ‘local’ knowledge means people associated to the SFL/SFA but not well known outside such circles could be considered. Others with higher profiles, who I would suggest would be invaluable, are Chris Langford (for Chairman if he was to resigned from the AFL Commission) or Kelvin Templeton (if he is back from the Middle-East and living in Sydney). Additionally, well-known former players from NSW such as Paul Kelly, David Murphy or Dennis Carroll would be great additions.

CEO
The applicant for the CEO may be decided by which person first fills the Gold Coast CEO position. Both will require very much the same qualities and attract pretty much the same field. Those such as Brian Cook (Geelong CEO), Trevor Nisbett (West Coast CEO) are experienced and have been at their present positions for some time. They have been reported as due for new challenges. Similarly, Brendon Gale of the AFLPA may possibly feel is now the time to move into mainstream football administration. Cameron Schwab (ex Fremantle CEO) just recently quit to move back to Melbourne and may not want to go interstate again. Locally Andrew Ireland is the General Manager – Football at the Sydney Swans, but before that he was the highly successful CEO of the Brisbane Lions.
I would suggest either Cook or Ireland.

Head of Football
The Head of Football would again need to have great experience as the whole structure is being set up from scratch: Andrew Ireland again would be a prime candidate, and if he had already accepted the CEO position then Geoff Walsh (now successful at Collingwood and previously working for Ireland at Brisbane) should be considered. A former senior-coach is a possibility and Grant Thomas (ex St Kilda) is an example of such as type. For an option from left field I would suggest Kevin Sheedy. I’m sure many could list a number of ‘cons’ for this suggestion, not the least his lack of pure administrative experience, but: he is a sucessful coach, he has succesfully reinvented himself and adapted over time, he is a well known football ‘identity’ and he knows how the ‘football’ side of a club works.
I would suggest: Ireland, Walsh or Sheedy.

Recruiting:
Most clubs have an experienced and successful recruiter, for the simple reason the unsuccessful ones are moved on quickly. However, Greg Wells at Geelong is often written about being amongst the best. He has overseen the building of the Cat’s list and if he wanted a new challenge then this could be it.
I would suggest: Greg Wells

Senior Coach:
Probably the most topical choice. I think the argument Paul Roos has put up for the need for experience is all persuasive. On top of experience is also success, although I would argue that doesn’t necessarily mean Premierships, but rather Final appearances. Of those available I would suggest Neale Daniher. He had sustained success with the Demons, I think they were in the finals every second year. Additionally, he is also a New South Welshman and that would help in selling the new Club. The performance of Melbourne since he left seems to my mind, adds argument in his favour rather than takes away from it (but I’m not a Demon supporter so many will probably have a better informed opinion!).

Others to consider would be Kevin Sheedy (would prefer him as Football Manager if he was used) and Dennis Pagan (probably not with Sheedy as Football Manager). I have not considered current coaches but in this merry-go-round you don’t exclude anyone. Of the experienced assistant coaches I would consider John Longmire (if he needs a change or tires of waiting at the Swans) or Guy McKenna (has learnt from amongst the best). If a former Senior Coach was chosen I would back him up with a crop of recently retired players who could assist with both football and marketing issues, particular to Sydney and additional development mentors due to an expected young list.

I would suggest- Senior Coach: Neale Daniher; Assistant Coaches: Brian Royal (very experienced assistant), Wayne Carey, Nathan Buckley, Derryn Creswell. Senior Development Coach: Barry Mitchell (currently Box Hill Hawks Coach), Development Officers: Ben Matthews (if retired), Jarrod Crouch (if retired).

i doubt this club will be built around ex-swans.

i also think it would be very hard to get brian cook - he didn't want the gold coast job so can't see how this would be different. i think the only move he'd make now would be up, when demetriou moves on.

the usual 'best of the best' names will be thrown up as well - 'greg' wells (who prefers to be called 'stephen', unless you meant THIS guy), neale balme, chris pelchen and anyone whose been associated with the last few premierships, but all had the chance to go to the gold coast and all declined.

the only guess i'd make is that the CEO would be more likely to come from a rugby league background than an AFL background (the way ex-st kilda CEO brian waldron was appointed at the melbourne storm). would know the market better and would be more recognisable in the media. having said that, given the financial state of many rugby league clubs i don't know how many NRL CEO's could even tie their own shoe laces ...

interestingly, a few of the big names you mentioned (buckley, longmire) have now signed on as part of succession plans at their respective clubs. interesting to see what clubs are doing to keep good people at these times

Sheedy's speculating about Mark Williams being his successor... all I have to say is noooooooo thank you.

Although both Williams, who is expected finally to sign a new two-year contract with Port Adelaide soon, and his manager, Ricky Nixon, have refused to discuss the Greater Western Sydney scenario, Sheedy said the Port premiership coach would be a good fit for the new team.

''If Mark ever wanted to leave Port Adelaide or South Australia, there are worse things you can do than look at him here,'' Sheedy said. ''He is a great coach and he is 10 years younger than me and with successions … who knows? That will be up to the new board when it is put together and down the track.''

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ge...to-harbour-city/2009/11/09/1257615001013.html

Kevin Sheedy has a profile in Western Sydney. Not many AFL people outside the Swans do. He's a big promoter of the game, has previously been in support of West Sydney existing; and now puts his money where his mouth is.
On the coaching side, he had a very successful career at Essendon. I'm a bit concerned that by the time 2012 comes around he'll have been away from a club at AFL level for 4 years; but he should be able to attract some more recently-experienced assistants.

This is a Southern States-centric appointment. Yes people who follow AFL in Sydney will know who he is, but the people GWS will be targeting to become new fans of their club won't and therefore the so called "great effect" of having him as coach basically boils down to him being to the non-AFL supporters in Western Sydney as the "Crazy Old Guy who talk about AFL". That isn't worth appointing him as coach for the next 3 years.

No it wasn't. It wasn't for the Gold Coast who went with Guy McKenna and got a recuiting manager who together focused on building a side "they" wanted for moving towards the 1st Season. They didn't go with a big name, dispite being in a new market. GWS should of followed suit instead, they have named a coach who was tactally behind the game during his last few seasons, will of been out of AFL Football for 4 seasons before he coaches GWS in the AFL and will have a larger say in recuiting than he should for a club starting out. He would of made a good Football Manager for GWS after a senior coach and recuiting manager had been named, but now the horse has bolted and the make up of the Football Department will be overshadowed by Sheedy.

Also helps trading for Lockett....

Doubt Western Sydney are going to get the 2011 version of Lockett.

I agree with you re. the Southern States, one problem they've got is that the club will continue to be run by the AFL for a while yet and I although I think they should have a say they should have setup the club (Board and structure) by now (with a couple of seats/positions from the AFL as required) and be pushing forward in setting up their own plans. The longer the AFL is principally involved the harder it is going to be.

You can't compare the GC with GWS. The football culture in the GC is light years ahead of GWS, they will have a far easier time building up momentum, sponsorship, members, etc. Their requirement for a marquee marketer coach is no where near as strong as it is for GWS.
In addition GWS would have zero chance of pulling in the 2011 version of Lockett with a rookie coach. At least with Sheedy there they'll have a chance, his profile alone will give credibility to bring in at least a few established out of contract players that a rookie coach will have zero chance given the risky nature of this venture as it stands today.

I agree with your call on his coaching ability, my initial reaction was exactly the same. But once I thought about the other issues as per above it made perfect sense. From what I've heard from Sheedy so far in the last few days it's clear that the above are the priorities now and he will take a slightly rearer seat come 2012.

I must chuckle at the people that say Sheedy can't coach anymore, the games gone past him, senile etc etc. It's a complete load of rot, nobody has actually offered up any evidence as to why he's finished.

Undoubtedly one of the most important factors re the appointment of Sheedy is his high profile image and the level of respect that he commands not only from the AFL heirarchy but football supporters in general. I am confident that because of him the Club will attract top level coaching and football development personnel which will be critical to our foundation and credibility both on and off the field.

Plenty of dumb comments about Sheedy, especially the southern states appointment comment. :rolleyes:

His profile is important for AFL fans in other areas to accept WS, but it is his community involvement efforts and inclusiveness that really make him invaluable to WS.

he did great things for Essendon and it had nothing to do with being a Vic club.

time will tell.

Loved his comments on the news tonight re signing all four Selwoods.. likening it to the Danihers at Bomberland. :D

Max Rooke as well.. watch out Bomba.

He's still got it when it comes to talking the talk. Hope he does well up there. You certainly couldn't ask for a better bloke in the job.

The other interesting thing I noticed on the news grab last night was the presence of Neville Stibbard talking to Sheedy. I wonder if he is involved with the Club in any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

re-signing all the Selwoods ay, so they are all at West Sydney currently?

r1zqy9.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back