Sheehan's Port Assessment

Remove this Banner Ad

Mudholian

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2001
The Monkey House Port Adelaide
Well it's pretty scathing as you would expect about the first half of last year but ends pretty positively. Has Port going between 6th or 8th which I'd settle for. TH]There was an enormous row going on in a.s.a.r about Scott's statement that Port could finish 6-8. Funny, Sheehan's arguments could have been pinched directly for Scott's perceptive comments, which at least have one writer in full agreement. http://www.afl.com.au/news/story_212758.htm
Mud

Given the uncertain severity of Tredders injury, I hope Port are not as reliant on him as Sheahan supposes. We made the finals in 1999 after losing big Matty in the first round, so hopefully someone can also step into Warren's place for as long as it takes.

And I hope the scare agaist Sydney last week, when they fell back into their old ways in the last quarter, was enough of a reminder of the disasters of 2000...

If you think Mike Sheahan is a knob-end, have a read of this assessment from ozrules.com:
http://www.ozrules.com/editorial.asp

"Can Port respond?
By Nick Leonard

It couldn't get much worse for Port Adelaide than it was in 2000. But the question is: can it get any better?

After showing signs of improvement in each of their first three years in the AFL, culminating in a finals appearance in 1999, the Power fell flat on their face last season, losing twice as many games as they won while dropping to 14th.

Season 2001 shapes as a critical one for Port Adelaide. If the team can't establish itself as at least a middle-of-the-road club on the field, support in Adelaide could drop off markedly.

The Crows already have about 70 per cent of the support in the City of Churches, and the Power can't afford to sink into an era of mediocrity.

But the Port list hasn't gotten any better. If anything, it'll be worse.

Coach Mark Williams is hoping for - relying on? - the club's draft choices to play senior footy in their first season to offset the loss of some experienced players.

Four 50-gamers - Danny Morton, Donald Dickie, Stephen Daniels and Wade Chapman - are gone, and the only notable recruit is defender Darryl Wakelin, a 115-game veteran at St. Kilda.

All is not lost, however. Port has a group of youngsters, including Warren Tredrea (22), Peter Burgoyne (22) and Stuart Dew (21), who should go on to be successful AFL players.

And Nick Stevens is still only 21, with 57 games under his belt already.

The only major change at Port in the off-season was the appointment of ruckman Matthew Primus as captain. Brownlow Medallist Gavin Wanganeen was never comfortable with the role - having reluctantly accepted it in the first place - and his form suffered accordingly.

Primus, on the other hand, was delighted to be given the role.

"It is every footballer's dream to be captain of an AFL club, so to captain such a prestigious and successful club is particularly special," he said after being appointed.

"We have a very committed group of players who are looking to add to the club's great history and along with the other leaders, I am looking forward to providing support where I can to ensure we reach our goals.

"I am very appreciative of the confidence that Mark Williams, the match committee and the board has shown in me by appointing me as captain and I hope I can repay that confidence."

Wanganeen is already benefitting from not having the extra responsibility. His goal is to play every game this season after managing only 10 in 2000, and he can now focus all his attention on his health.

Port's biggest problem last season was an inability to kick goals. The Power kicked less than 10 goals six times, more than 20 only twice and booted more behinds than goals in more than half (12) of their games. In the team's round 10 draw with Geelong, the Cats kicked 12.6 to Port Adelaide's 10.18.

Only one Port player kicked more than 25 goals, compared with four for 15th-placed Collingwood and three for wooden spooner St. Kilda.

That player was Tredrea, who managed only 32.35 for the season but remains the club's sole shining light inside 50m.

He needs to dramatically improve his accuracy (directly) in front of goal this year after showing so much promise since an eight-goal outburst against Carlton at Optus in a Port Adelaide rout in 1998.

But even if Tredrea boots 50 or more goals this year, the Power still figure to struggle.

The first month of the season could be brutal: Brisbane first, followed by Essendon, a showdown with Adelaide and a match-up with the rejuvenated Saints.

When round 22 comes and goes, Port Adelaide will have done well to have escaped the bottom three spots."

Who the F*CK is Nick Leonard?

Originally posted by Mudholian:
Well it's pretty scathing as you would expect about the first half of last year but ends pretty positively. Has Port going between 6th or 8th which I'd settle for. TH]There was an enormous row going on in a.s.a.r about Scott's statement that Port could finish 6-8. Funny, Sheehan's arguments could have been pinched directly for Scott's perceptive comments, which at least have one writer in full agreement. http://www.afl.com.au/news/story_212758.htm
Mud

Mudholian!

You are completely correct!

Mike Sheehan came to me and said 'What do you think?'

Obviously believed every word I said.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back