Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Just wondering what happened with this? A few years ago there was this movement (same as the torrent one) and all the sheet music companies managed to shut down all the guitar tab websites arguing copyright infringement. They got their way in court and all these sites had to take down their tabs/sheet music.

Now all these same sites are back to the way they were before. Free tabs in abundance just like the old days. What happened?

Didn’t realise they were shut down, it’s always been easy to get sheet music and tabs online. It’s better to transcribe by ear imo, I’ve found that the sheet music always seems to be NQR, particularly for guitar where often they don’t note alternative tuning being used and provide tabs in standard tuning.

Just wondering what happened with this? A few years ago there was this movement (same as the torrent one) and all the sheet music companies managed to shut down all the guitar tab websites arguing copyright infringement. They got their way in court and all these sites had to take down their tabs/sheet music.

Now all these same sites are back to the way they were before. Free tabs in abundance just like the old days. What happened?

I find its easier to learn off of youtube these days. Depends on the person I guess. I never knew about sheet music companies shutting down all guitar tab websites.

I know this very well - I was on the board staff at ultimate-guitar.com when the s**t went down early 2000s.

Firstly UG got around it because we (well, the site) was physically situated in Russia while MX Tabs, Metal Tabs etc that were based in places like the US and UK had to cease. A technicality was later reached that a tab is an ‘authors interpretation’ of a song. Currently with services like Songsterr (I believe this is MX Tabs?) and UGs premium thing I believe there is a small royalty paid somewhere for each tab.

Last edited:
OLGA was the best.

OLGA was the best

Later i'll see if the tabs i submitted 20 years ago are still available somewhere...

...probably at a for-profit site, where i get NOTHING

Remove this Banner Ad

Back