Sheezel Given Two Year Contract Extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Carlton fans wouldn't be used to drafting anyone talented enough to command an extension so soon, but this isn't a new phenomena. Brisbane extended Ashcroft for 2 years prior to him ever playing a game.

IMO there should be a mechanism for clubs to initially offer a 4 year contract or within the first 12 months extend by an additional 2 years for first rounders + a certain portion of the salary for those additional two years should sit outside the cap.
Why outside the cap?

Probably needed to be done. Couldn't risk another jhf scenario.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
I think all our recent draftees (except the obvious) signed two year extensions within their first few games, going back a few years now. Most of them anyway, maybe not rookies and really speculative picks.

At least back to 2019 (tho most of our picks that draft were dealing with injuries for a few seasons.) Dunno about the other 2021 kids (besides Curtis who signed a two year extension) but all three of them grew up barracking for North and they all look like they've got something to offer.

Last edited:
Does anyone really think this wasn't already in the works prior to his very impressive first game?

He's a pick 3. Any club with a top 10 pick, let alone a top 5 pick, wants them to extend a further 2 years the minute they get drafted, much less waiting to see how they train over the preseason or how they perform in round 1. This obviously wasn't a case of North rushing to put a contract in front of him only after they saw his performance on the weekend.

Does anyone really think this wasn't already in the works prior to his very impressive first game?

He's a pick 3. Any club with a top 10 pick, let alone a top 5 pick, wants them to extend a further 2 years the minute they get drafted, much less waiting to see how they train over the preseason or how they perform in round 1. This obviously wasn't a case of North rushing to put a contract in front of him only after they saw his performance on the weekend.

It's part of the stupid narrative around JHF.

Great to see a high draft pick repaying the club that drafted him with his loyalty.
Good on you lad. And well done to the Roos.

I'm guessing he didn't have the same manager as Ollie Henry then.
Yeah they seem to be playing him in there starting 22 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's part of the stupid narrative around JHF.
It's funny because there are many clubs who lose more talent that they want to keep than we do and yet we're seen as some sort of revolving door.

Anyways this is a very dumb thread if you don't think any club would want to hold onto a talent like Sheezel you're having a laugh or you are completely football illiterate

Talk about crapping their dacks....... after one game (admittedly a very good one), they are worried about another club pinching him. :oops:
Carlton extended 2022 draftees Hollands and Cowan for two years BEFORE round 1.

Carlton was spooked by the JHF trade.

Pretty sure.... ;)

I am sure Wardlaw is in the works as well, anyone you take on with an early pick you will want to extend, I think it helps the player as well, there is a lot more you can do in terms of financial planning when you have a longer term contract in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back